android
Old 11-22-2008, 10:52 AM

Default Firmware will not erase...

Hello dear Zen community, I have a problem, hopefully you can help...

Recently my ZVM60gb froze mid-recording. No probs, this has happened before, so just reset. Then it said it was rebuilding etc, but took ages. I thought it must have crashed so tried resetting again, same story. Left it for a couple of hours and it had switched off. Then wouldn't charge initially, but after several attempts I got it to eventually.

So now we get to the main problem: Upon startup, at the 'ZEN' screen, I'm greeted with !Firmware Problem! Straight into recovery mode. After a clean up and reboot, same story. Obviously that's corrupt. The problem is, I've downloaded the latest firmware (I was on it anyway) but can't put it on my device because it won't erase the firmware on it.

My question is: how long does it take to erase firmware? I've left it for hours and it still just says 'Erasing Firmware...' Am I just being impatient, or am I right in thinking it shouldn't take this long? What do I do? If there is a way to manually remove firmware I'd like to do that, as it's recognized on my pc ok.

Thanks for any help if you decide to give it,

James.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-22-2008, 11:09 AM

no it should not take more that a minute or so to delete the firmware ( normally less iirc)
have you tried erasing the firmware from in recovery mode?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:41 AM

Yes, that's where I was erasing it from... or trying to at least.

Also, when I try clean up it just stays on 'Scan disk..' for ages. No luck there, so I'm trying (reluctantly) Format All at the moment. It's taking forever too. I'm starting to feel that my ZVM has died on me. Out of nowhere. Don't think I'll be under warranty either.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 PM

possible hard drive problem(?) If so, there are lots of options for you. Get a new, larger capacity hard drive.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:22 PM

Hmm, I'll be annoyed if the hard-drive is somehow damaged. All that happened was I was trying to record and it froze! Then all this firmware stuff's come out of nowhere.

Grr.

Anyway, I'm trying to format it but it doesn't give me any indication of how much it's formatted so far, if at all. How long should it take? Been going for over an hour now...

Old 11-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome IpoothereforeIam. Yeah, it's possible the drive is failing or has failed, but before I would look into replacing the drive, I would at least attempt to do a Format (twice) just in case there is just a severe file system corruption that is preventing the firmware from being erased or the Cleanup from scanning. It may be a long shot, but worth a try.

A Format should not take a long time either. If so, then that could be used as further proof that the drive has a problem.

Edit: You can also consider opening up the ZVM to check to see if the hard drive connector has worked loose or if reseating helps.

If it doesn't help, these should help with replacing the drive:
Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is the hard drive replacement thread.
Here is the new tested hard drive swap thread.
Here is the hard drive connector type thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Hello BobbyRS, thanks for your response.

I am formatting it again now, but the last attempt never gave any sort of conclusion, I just reset it. Should there be a progress bar? It strikes me that there should be, to have a gauge of the formatting process, but along with the rebuilding/clean-up-ing/erasing of firmware, there is no such bar...

I'm hesitant to go fiddling about in the player at the moment. If it comes to it, I will have to. I don't know too much about the technicalities in a hard-drive, but logistically I don't understand how it could just go kaput like that. Is it really that fragile? If so, my next purchase will probably not be a Creative...

Thanks again,

James.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:43 PM

If it a broken hard drive don't blame Creative as it's not them that makes them. All hard drives are very fragile and are mostly made by the same company or companies.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpoothereforeIam View Post
I'm hesitant to go fiddling about in the player at the moment. If it comes to it, I will have to.
Check out the videos and disassembly article. It may be easier than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpoothereforeIam View Post
I don't know too much about the technicalities in a hard-drive, but logistically I don't understand how it could just go kaput like that. Is it really that fragile? If so, my next purchase will probably not be a Creative...
This problem doesn't have much to do with Creative. It's a mechanical device, it is what they do. Hard drives aren't always the best type of storage media to use in mobile devices. Any kind of device from any device manufacturer can and will do the same eventually.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 PM

IpoothereforeIam, If your action packed on the go, look at flash drive for next player.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Remember, before writing it off or considering replacing the drive, I would really try opening the ZVM up and taking a look to see if the hard drive connector isn't loose or if a reseat helps.

If it doesn't help and you decide to look at a replacement player, I would suggest considering Walkgood's advice on getting a flash memory based player instead. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 11-22-2008, 09:35 PM

yea, i didn't mean to give up ... try what BobbyRS said for sure.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I knew you didn't Walkgood.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 AM

Hmm, I will definitely have a crack at mending it first then. Thanks for the links and all the help.

What's the largest flash memory out there at the minute? It seems to be expanding. I bought the ZVM 60gb because at the time it was actually cheaper than the 30gb, I reckon I could make do with less though. Had about 10gb on mine when it bust.

Right, off to find my warranty and see if it's expired, it probably has, which means I'll be doing the fixing, or the making worse aha.

Cheers again,

James.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. I would take a look at the 16GB and 32GB devices due to you already having 10GB worth of data. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 AM

Wow, they do 32gb flash drives these days? That's impressive. Problem with mp3 players today is they've become media players. I love the simple zen vision/ipod/old iRiver players that just have a sensibly-sized screen and lots of room for music. They're becoming increasingly harder to find these days. Oh well...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 AM

IpoothereforeIam, the cowon O2 is 32gb and has sd expansion slot to expand memory. But you are right, they don't think about the music lovers, it's a pmp or I'd buy one yesterday, still I'm thinking about one myself.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 AM

The nearest player on the market that's geared to music-lovers seems to be this X-fi one. I've got to say I'm very tempted by it. Looks quite tasty. Is the audio technology just a gimmick though? The advertising for it has focussed on how it 'intelligently restores loss details' which sounds to me like something impossible. Unless they provide a new, more effective codec for ripping mp3s, I don't see how this technology can restore loss... hmm.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would suggest, if you can, to go out and listen to the Zen X-Fi to see if you even like it or not. Personally, I do not like the X-Fi "enhancements" and feel they are gimmicky. Although the Zen DAP's sound good enough for me, they are not considered players of choice for audiophiles.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Yes, that last post was a bit premature in judgement. Looking at all the various reviews, the X-Fi seems very capable but hardly top of the list for audio quality. It may be my only option now though, because a 32gb flash player is quite appealing. I don't have a good enough pair of cans to do the best DAP justice anyway...

Before I check the hard drive connector (nearly did today, but still need some extra small screwdrivers), I know I'm out of warranty period, but do you reckon if I get on the phone to Creative they might be able to help? Only just had it over a year and it's broken, completely. I don't wanna have to get shirty with them, so I'll be polite at first.