android
Old 11-23-2008, 08:55 AM

Default I got sea water in my Zen and now its dead!

I fell over and the beach and got water in my Zen. I dried it out over a few days and tried to reboot it but to no avail. I charged it but it doesnt hold the charge and its developed a clicking. From what Ive found out, the clicking indicates that the hard drive is knackered? When powered up, it gets to the Zen screen and thats it. I tried the recovery mode to no avail either. It doesnt turn off either on the switch so I have to wait for the battery to die before it shuts down.

Im not technically minded with electronics at all so fixing it myself is a no-no. I got the player on ebay 3 years ago so the warranty is out and I dont want to get charged a fourtune by Creative to fix it. Where can I get it fixed? Regular computer repair centres dont do this sort of work do they? Should I just bite the bullet and fork out for a new one?

Any help would be really appreciated

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2008, 09:05 AM

It definitely needs a new battery and possibly a new hard drive as well. Even though the water may have all dried up, since itís sea water itíll leave a heavy salt residue behind and may always cause problems. If you canít fix it yourself, I would agree with you that itíll be too expensive to fix. You might want to resell for parts on ebay and look to replace your player. Good luck

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

....or consider eventually selling the parts here in our Classifieds.

If you don't want to sell and decide to give it a shot yourself to repair, the links below should help with replacing the battery and hard drive. Good luck!

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is the hard drive replacement thread.
Here is the new tested hard drive swap thread.
Here is the hard drive connector type thread.
Here is a YouTube video of replacing the battery
Here is another YouTube video of replacing the battery
Here is the battery replacement thread

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 AM

Check it out, dude. You can buy a newish refurbed one for around 120 bucks, which is roughly what it would cost for the parts. Get a new one, before their gone forever!
DHD NTX-2136 AMP
2 12" American Pros, In a Bandpass box

Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I see plenty on eBay right now for less. Even a few under $100. You should be able to find the parts (search Google for Zen Part or Zen Repair) even cheaper and repair yourself if you so desire.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sea water is extremely hard on electronics since the saltwater in the presence of metals acts as a very aggressive corrosive. If you had taken the thing apart and thoroughly cleaned everything off with alcohol within a few hours of the dunking, it probably could have been saved; but after this long, the mainboard is probably irreparably damaged.

Salt water also conducts electricity far better than fresh water, so the effect of stray voltage on electronic parts not designed to tolerate such voltages well will be far greater.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great point. Salt water will crystallize and can cause galvanization of the circuit board, solder joints... Using alcohol or even some distilled water will help with cleaning. I have read that using alcohol that is 95% denatured is much more effective than rubbing alcohol, which is only 70%.

Zen FAQ