android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the help BobbyRS, I got a package from Poland today with a new Zen in it, unfortunately had to pay 50 though because they said the LCD screen cracking was my fault, now to sync my 26GB of music to it........

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Glad to hear you got it resolved. Yeah, Creative usually don't warranty cracked screens. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ

Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 AM

Wink Thanks!

I've just found this forum after many hours of searching for a good video converter for my films. Just a quick note to say thanks to all the contributors because I'm a total novice with the MP3/MP4 scene. I've had my Creative Zen 16gb for about three months, but couldn't find a decent video converter. I was willing to buy one, when BobbyRS suggested the Any Video Converter, which is not only fast, is able to convert all types of files, but it's also free!

I just wanted to ask though, I have film files in the RM format - are these considered to be poor or good quality videos because I'm finding that the audio/video is out of sync - even though I have tried to set the AVC to Default and Basic. I've looked at the threads, and tried to find an answer, but can't seem to find it. I'm not sure whether getting another video converter, or upgrading to AVC professional would resolve my synching problem.

Any suggestions, or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. If my query is already on a thread, please accept my apologies!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:19 AM

Unhappy Strange Zen WSOD Issue...

Also on epiZENter:

This has already happened to me twice before. The first time, it was in mid August. I own the player since April of this year. The WSOD appeared out of the blue. It somehow was canceled out by poking the reset hole and leaving it off for about an hour; followed by immediately opening up the ROM recovery menu within the player. This worked for me twice... but now...

Today, while listening to my tunes, the battery indicator was getting low... I normally let my battery discharge until the Zen gives that "The battery is low" icon. I do this because I do not want that battery memory effect. Just as I'm plugging the Zen to my computer, BAM! The WSOD strikes yet again! However, surprisingly the zen still has a solid connection with my computer. I am still able to access all of it's contents. I unplug it, and do my procedure. After about one hour... NO LUCK! I replug it into my computer and start backing up all of my media.

Is this the end?

Is there anything else I can try to revive it?

Thanks in advance!
Sennheiser EH150 phones

Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Blade. I'm sorry to say, but the first thing you should have done was return it for a replacement or contacted Creative's for repair. The WSOD was a very common problem on many of the older first round of released Zen's (seemed to be more popular on the smaller capacity models like the 2GB/4GB/8GB Zen's).

Quote:
I normally let my battery discharge until the Zen gives that "The battery is low" icon. I do this because I do not want that battery memory effect.
There is no "memory effect" with Lithium-ion batteries. See the Battery section under the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
When and how often to charge?

To be safe, I would avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery and usually shortens its life. Partial discharges with frequent recharges are better than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no "memory effect" like with older type Ni-Cd (nickel-cadmium) batteries.

It looks as though your best bet still is to contact Creative' for repair; especially if still under warranty.

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.
Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

Good luck!

Edit: Moved to main WSOD thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-05-2008, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the help Bobby. Yeah, thing is that I bought my Zen at a retailer (Walmart), with a return policy of only 15 days. That had expired months ago. I have found the receipt and by looking through it, the Zen was bought on 4/05/2008. So, it's still under warranty.

I tried the MP3 Player Recovery Tool from creative and... *blows raspberry* nothing got fixed. Still has the WSOD.

It's unrecoverable... I'm gonna send it to Creative then.
Sennheiser EH150 phones

Old 10-05-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Thanks for the help Bobby. Yeah, thing is that I bought my Zen at a retailer (Walmart), with a return policy of only 15 days. That had expired months ago. I have found the receipt and by looking through it, the Zen was bought on 4/05/2008. So, it's still under warranty.

I tried the MP3 Player Recovery Tool from creative and... *blows raspberry* nothing got fixed. Still has the WSOD.

I have e-mailed Creative just now, and hopefully someone will respond to it.
Sennheiser EH150 phones

Old 10-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, I think your doing the right move here. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 10-06-2008, 07:01 AM

What would happen if you did unplug it while it was in the middle of a sync/copy or indication on the screen (arrows moving) while it was communicating with the computer?

Somehow, this happened to me recently. I can't figure out why it won't work.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It could cause corruption of the data being transfered or worse, the Zen's database/filesystem. What problem are you now having (I would start a new thread in main Zen section of the Forum for this)?

Zen FAQ

Old 10-10-2008, 04:36 AM

So, I got my zen's and thanks to the information in this thread and the boards overall I didn't even need to look at the user manual.

Have ripped cd's and dvd's converted the dvd's and copied them onto the memory card, everything works great. The dvd software at the start of the thread (dvdfab and any video converter) works perfectly with the settings as stated.

Only one question, when the Zen is docked is there anything you have to do before you remove it ? there isn't a safely remove hardware option like there is when you use the SD as a removable disk.

Thanks for your help and hard work

David

Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoring View Post
So, I got my zen's and thanks to the information in this thread and the boards overall I didn't even need to look at the user manual.

Have ripped cd's and dvd's converted the dvd's and copied them onto the memory card, everything works great. The dvd software at the start of the thread (dvdfab and any video converter) works perfectly with the settings as stated.

Only one question, when the Zen is docked is there anything you have to do before you remove it ? there isn't a safely remove hardware option like there is when you use the SD as a removable disk.

Thanks for your help and hard work

David
you can just unplug it, you dont need to tell your system you want to disconnect it.

just make sure that you arent transferring any data and the arrows on the zen arent moving.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That's exactly right. As long as it is not in the middle of communicating or syncing, you should be just fine.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-25-2008, 10:53 PM

Default Temporarily Fix the WSOD (not hold)

I found a way to temporarily fix the WSOD (the version where you can still use the player, but the screen is completely white) if the hold trick doesn't work

*Warning: I take no responsibility if you try this, if you can use the hold trick then use it instead. I have only tested this on my own zen, so it may be different on other zens and the effect could be irreversible

1. Go here and download the old 1.03 firmware
http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDow...oad-41209.html

2. Update your zen with the downloaded file, you should get a message saying that its a previous version and that downgrading could corrupt some files

3. Now don't freak out, the screen wont work anymore, but you still should be able to connect it to your pc and windows should recognize it

4. Use the creative mp3 recovery tool to upgrade it back to version 1.2

5. Your screen should work

It worked for a week before i had to repeat this process, I would occasionally get a bleached image, but never an actual white screen.

Last edited by SGWyoshi; 10-25-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome SGWyoshi. Thanks for posting your testing results. However, your Zen should not behaving this way. I would return it for repair or replacement if it is still under warranty.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 PM

well lol, it just started acting this way after almost a year, and i dont have the reciept (still have the packaging...) but I ordered it online, so i dont have a reciept
I have an email from them with what would be on a reciept
i ordered it from dell

Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If it is not over a year yet since you purchased, the manufacture warranty covers parts for 1 year. So, you may be able to get something done going through Creative.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM

nope its not over a year old
so i'm gona call em now

Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good luck. These may help:

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.
Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-25-2008, 10:32 AM

Default All I get is a white screen

When I turn my Zen on, the screen stays white. I can play music, but see nothing on the screen. Am I doomed or is there a fix? Thanks for any help!