android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #201  
Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Welcome bbrooker. The white screen is commonly referred to as the WSOD (White Screen of Death). It indicates a defective display. You should look into replacing/returning your Zen asap.

Thread merged with WSOD thread. You may want to have a look from the beginning.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #202  
Old 12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Stig Stig is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3
Default Booting problem with Zen

Hello there,
i have i very annoying problem with my zen... the thing is that every time i start it up the player a white screen appers and don't disapears until i press the play button and the song goes on (the screen is still all white) and then i put it in lock and when the screen turns off ( i have adjusted it to that) then i put it in normal mode and everything is O.K , but now domething went wrong and that trick is useless I went to the shop i bought it but it's closed for now ... do you know how to fix that problem if it's possible
P.S. I am with the latest firmware ( that bug was before i updated the firmware but wasn't that often...)
Reply With Quote

  #203  
Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Welcome Stig. You should check out this thread. It is all about you issue. I would either return your Zen for a replacement or contact Creative for warranty service. Good luck.

Thread merged with main WSOD thread.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #204  
Old 12-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Apprentice57 Apprentice57 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 31
Default

First if this problem has already occured (not a WSOD) in this thread I'm sorry I don't have time to look through 11 pages....

So over the past two weeks, a line of green then later light blue pixels has appeared on my zens screen. Its not that annoying and I ignored it until two fainter lines appeared. I'm worried that the problem would get worse and I'll have to get a whole new player.

I really don't know what the problem is, so any help is greatly appreciated

Pictures: http://i44.tinypic.com/j0h5qv.jpg http://i43.tinypic.com/f2vmls.jpg
Reply With Quote

  #205  
Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

It's not the WSOD, but it does look like you are in need of a new LCD. Is your Zen still under the 1 year warranty for parts? If so, then you should contact Creative for warranty repair.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #206  
Old 12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Apprentice57 Apprentice57 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 31
Default

I severely doubt it, I got it for Christmas last year (so unless the gift giver buys presents at the last minute, I'm out of luck).

I'll go ahead and send creative an email to see what getting an lcd replaced costs.
Reply With Quote

  #207  
Old 12-22-2008, 05:18 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

If your up for trying to replace yourself, you can do a Google search for "zen parts" to find a place that sells LCD's for the Zen. I have to warn you though, the Zen seems to suffer from contrast problems after replacing, going off of what others have said.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #208  
Old 01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
crackrabbit crackrabbit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Default

I came across this thread today after trying to get my zen out of the white screen for like the past 3 months..out of warranty..I stuck it in the freezer for a few hours and it works now lmao..I'll reply back in the thread as to how long it works for but the screen WORKS..finally

I love the player but my god that white screen problem annoyed the hell outa me and the worst part was it happened after my warranty ran out..it had started by just going blank at random times and if I had put it on hold and turned it back it worked..that started taking longer and longer to do..would have to stay in hold forever then put it back and it would work..then it just stopped entirely
Reply With Quote

  #209  
Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM
ZenChick's Avatar
ZenChick ZenChick is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Right... Behind... You...
Posts: 7,427
Default

If freezing the thing worked, then that confirms that the WSoD issue is an electrical problem caused by faulty or broken contacts within the player. Bringing the temperature of the metal conduits and wires in the player down to freezing causes the metal to contract, possibly re-establishing broken connections. It will work until the player warms back up to room temperature.

So you have two choices, basically. You can either send your player off for repair, or you can invest in a walk-in freezer and a really heavy coat.

One more point about placing Zens (and other sensitive electronics) in the freezer: It is a bad idea. Unless you live in an area that has absolutely zero humidity (Reno, NV, in the dead of winter comes to mind), the act of placing your player in the freezer can cause a thin layer of frost to form inside the case and on the electronics. When this frost layer thaws, it could potentially wreak electrical havoc on your player.
__________________
ZenChick - The one them iPod-owners warned you about!
Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB * Creative MuVo N200 1GB * Philips GoGear Vibe 4GB
Resident Linux Geekette ** Got IRC? Look me up on irc.freenode.net #AnythingButiPod
Reply With Quote

  #210  
Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
crackrabbit crackrabbit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
If freezing the thing worked, then that confirms that the WSoD issue is an electrical problem caused by faulty or broken contacts within the player. Bringing the temperature of the metal conduits and wires in the player down to freezing causes the metal to contract, possibly re-establishing broken connections. It will work until the player warms back up to room temperature.

So you have two choices, basically. You can either send your player off for repair, or you can invest in a walk-in freezer and a really heavy coat.

One more point about placing Zens (and other sensitive electronics) in the freezer: It is a bad idea. Unless you live in an area that has absolutely zero humidity (Reno, NV, in the dead of winter comes to mind), the act of placing your player in the freezer can cause a thin layer of frost to form inside the case and on the electronics. When this frost layer thaws, it could potentially wreak electrical havoc on your player.

yup pretty much as soon as I turned it off by then it started warming up and back on it went back to the white screen. I froze it again and the same thing happened worked and haven't shut it off yet. Ya realised placing it in there is a bad idea but thought I'd try it and see had no idea what else to do tried everything. One other thing is there a tutorial on how to open the zen? I'm out of warranty anyway
Reply With Quote

  #211  
Old 01-05-2009, 06:27 PM
crackrabbit crackrabbit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Default

put it back on hold for about 5 mins it warmed up and its stuck on the white screen again..it was working while cold when I put it on hold
Reply With Quote

  #212  
Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 PM
werezenwolf's Avatar
werezenwolf werezenwolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 488
Default

my daughter has a Sony Ericsson flip phone which has the exact same symptoms as the WSOD. As soon as I can find a torx driver small enough, I'm going to give fixing it a whack. If there is something wrong with the flex connector, and I can fix the WSOD on the phone, I'll report back.

Maybe in that way we can at least know where to start on repairing the Zen WSOD.
__________________
Zen Stone Plus 2g, Zen 4g, Zen Micro 5g, Zen VM 30g, Sandisk Sansa C240, Sandisk 1g silver
*all currently operational*
Reply With Quote

  #213  
Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 PM
crackrabbit crackrabbit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Default

is there a tutorial on how to open this zen?
Reply With Quote

  #214  
Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackrabbit View Post
I stuck it in the freezer for a few hours and it works now lmao..I'll reply back in the thread as to how long it works for but the screen WORKS..finally
Interesting.... Usually it is the other way around. Cold temperatures can wreak havoc on the analog portion of the electronics. Unless temperature compensation is designed into the circuits, freezing temperatures can cause drift and changes in inductance, resistance, capacitance, etc. So who knows really what the actual cause may be.

In addition to ZenChick's warning on "condensation", this temperature cycling of placing the Zen in the freezer and then removing and warming up can really take its toll (especially when the temperature and humidity changes are rapid). Stress fractures in the PCB and solder joints can eventually occur and end up causing you more issues (if you even care at this point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackrabbit View Post
is there a tutorial on how to open this zen?
There sure is. Here you go.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #215  
Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 PM
crackrabbit crackrabbit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Interesting.... Usually it is the other way around. Cold temperatures can wreak havoc on the analog portion of the electronics. Unless temperature compensation is designed into the circuits, freezing temperatures can cause drift and changes in inductance, resistance, capacitance, etc. So who knows really what the actual cause may be.

In addition to ZenChick's warning on "condensation", this temperature cycling of placing the Zen in the freezer and then removing and warming up can really take its toll (especially when the temperature and humidity changes are rapid). Stress fractures in the PCB and solder joints can eventually occur and end up causing you more issues (if you even care at this point).



There sure is. Here you go.
awesome thx for the guide gonna open it up and ya don't really care anymore lmao I tried absolutely everything to see if I could fix it nothing worked..and I'm out of warranty so doesn't really matter.
Reply With Quote

  #216  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackrabbit View Post
awesome thx for the guide gonna open it up
No problem. Have fun. Let us know if you find anything of interest. Maybe take pics and post them if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackrabbit View Post
and ya don't really care anymore lmao I tried absolutely everything to see if I could fix it nothing worked..and I'm out of warranty so doesn't really matter.
Yeah, that's what I thought. You can also sell it as an as-is Zen for parts. We have a Classified section.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #217  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 PM
ColinN ColinN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Default

Ok, so I got a Zen the other day from Amazon which I'm very happy with; however, a problem I noticed the other day (whcih I assume is this) is that whenever I 'resume' from being in Hold, I just get a white screen. Music continues playing etc.

Also, when I resume from the Zen being in idle mode, the screen's brightness appears to be at 100%.

So I'll need to send it back then?
Reply With Quote

  #218  
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Do you see anything else on the screen or is it all white? Sounds like the WSOD.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #219  
Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 AM
ColinN ColinN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Do you see anything else on the screen or is it all white? Sounds like the WSOD.
When it's all white, it's all white, however it still dims etc and I can still hear music, change the volume and select a new track. Normal symptoms of the WSOD?

It's rather sporadic, sometimes it happens, others it doesn't but as I'm actually yet to give the Zen a proper test (I'm at home so would rather use my headphones etc) I'm unsure as to how often it happens. Once I managed to get myself back out from it by returning to hold and then coming back.
Reply With Quote

  #220  
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Yes, that is the WSOD. It sounds like return time again; sorry.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.