android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 01-20-2008, 02:52 PM

I've no problem with adding album art, I just gave example of frequent question. And really you should consider using Zen Media Explorer - it allows to add album art without removing or replacing files.
There are much more problems that may be resolved with some principal tips. Like your way of getting rid of white screens. Some people complain about hangs and freezes, but I think in many cases the problem is how they manage files on Zen. It is really important not only to keep album info in ID3 but also to keep albums in seperate folders. Zen really don't like hundreds of files in one folder it may cause freezing and screw the library.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdr View Post
Does it look similar to the flash we've got when plugging headphones?

Yup, exact same one. It happened right now again.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 PM

So does these flashes happen with headphones plugged or not or isn't it matter if they're plugged?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM

Yes you are correct I live In Canada Ontario, Use to live In Newyork but moved to canada cause of the 9/11 attacks in 2001... and the violence... plus the CRAZy traffic.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 AM

Any update on your situation, creativezenlover? Or have you given up with the Zen? =/

Old 02-08-2008, 01:27 PM

hey, i got a screen problem too. sometimes when i start the player the screen is either white or its really really bright and the graphics looks strange. same thing when im going back from sleep mode. should i turn it in and get a new player or can i fix it in another way? i have the latest firmware and all. got it a week ago.

thx in advance

Old 02-09-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsoul View Post
hey, i got a screen problem too. sometimes when i start the player the screen is either white or its really really bright and the graphics looks strange. same thing when im going back from sleep mode. should i turn it in and get a new player or can i fix it in another way? i have the latest firmware and all. got it a week ago.

thx in advance
That doesn't happen on my player, and your case looks like classic white screen of death. Thus if this happens on some players and doesn't on others it's not firmware issue, rather hardware. You should replace your player with another.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM

Default my similar experience

New here.... browsing. I've had a rare issue that is similar, that sometimes when I activate the player, I get this same white screen -- after the backlight interval expires, it gets darker. Some combination of turning it off by holding the off switch "down" (slider closer to USB port), waiting, etc., and turning it on has always brought it back to life. I've never had it happen repeatedly, though once recently it took me a few minutes of fiddling with it to get it back. Usually, its 30seconds of fiddling. The interesting thing is, since I was able to get mine working before this started with no problem, is I've noticed the audio portion actually works just fine... I can start and control the player -- but of course I can't see the screen. It seems to be some kind of connection to the screen that is the problem - though I can't tell if it is hardware or software because I can't be sure part of my "fiddling" isn't just restoring some electrical connection. Up to now, it's not been a big problem for me. Owned since November, probably happened 4-5 times. I'd be surprised if, fully charged, you have this problem again out of the box -- but once you get used to using the player, you'll probably intuit the kinds of things that constitute "fiddling" with it.... I'd start with holding the slider next to the usb port for several (5-10 seconds) and letting it shut down. Good Luck!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:26 PM

Default WSOD problem

Tonight my player totally died on me. I cant do anything with it. I just get a blank screen on my zen creative 8 gb player. I have tried to connect it to my laptop in the hope it would over ride the problem. I have locked it and unlocked it in the hope it would snapp out of it. I have also tried the lock unlock followed by pressing the play button in the the hope it would start again without any success. What else can I do to get it to work again. I really don't want to reformat it as quiet a lot of the stuff on the player I don't have copies of.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 AM

Hello swedboy Have you already tried to reset the player by pressing down the little reset button? I had the same problem one day and that fixed it.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 AM

Yes and it solved it. I had totally forgotten about that option.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Unhappy LCD Failed

31 days after purchase, 29 days after receipt of my 32 GB Zen, the screen failed . I called the vendor and they said their strict 30-day return policy meant they would not address my problem. I called Creative Labs and with a very poor phone connection spoke to a woman with a strong accent in English so communication was difficult. I spent an hour with her -- downloaded the latest firmware and upgraded, but that did not cure the problem. So, an RMA was arranged. But she said it takes 3 business days for the credit card to clear, then the item will be shipped within one week by UPS ground. So, we are talking about roughly two weeks to receive a replacement. I was in love with this MP3 player and had abandoned my 16GB iPOD in favor of this far more user friendly, portable, larger storage capacity device. Now I am angry at the vendor, the manufacturer, and the world. It's not that I need to have music in my ears all the time and won't survive the two weeks, but the amount of time I spent on the phone and then, because of the manufacturer's business practices -- closed on holidays and weekends and a three business day turnaround to approve a credit card to send a replacement right away rather than waiting until mine arrives! I am very disappointed.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Who may I ask was the vendor? 30 days starts when you RECEIVE the item, not when it is shipped. There are laws governing this. Might be worth calling your credit card company to help.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, it sucks that your Zen's screen went out at that time (my usual luck too). Yes it sucks that it took so long to establish a replacement from the vendor..... and it would have been nice and perfect to actually deal with a tech company that didn't have such a long drawn out return/replacement turnaround......BUT you are getting it replaced! Cheer up, be patient, and look to the bright side; you are getting a replacement! It could have been worse. You could have ended up without the "far more user friendly, portable, larger storage capacity device" you love so dearly. It won't be long until it's back in your life and everything is right with the world again.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Follow-up -- it gets worse, mostly

Creative Labs claims the screen was cracked. They want $240 to replace it. It retails for $300 - I paid $280.

It looked exactly like photos on the discussion with posts by 237 responses from other folks whose Creative Labs Vision M screens failed -- read all about it at http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2...nm-lcd-screen/

How can I address the Creative assertion that the screen was "cracked" and therefore that I damaged it and the warranty did not cover the damage? They have the player. How does one ascertain whether the screen "failed" or was "damaged" by the user?

The retailer was the Nerds. Their policy explicitly states that the 30 days runs from the date of purchase, not the date of receipt. This of course is a ridiculous policy, and the fact is that the device failed on the 29th day after I received it by the 31st day after I ordered it and that I ordered it for next day delivery but it was not sent until the next day and therefore arrived two days after the order was place. -- A good postscript for the Nerds -- I called back later to follow-up on the claim of the 30 day warranty and the gentleman I spoke with told me he would do what was necessary to replace it. But, unfortunately, because I was eager to have it replace, I had already mailed it to Creative, so I could not take advantage of his willingness to make the replacement.

I am now waiting to hear from a supervisor at Creative Labs regarding their determination of a cracked screen and user damage. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this now?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Did you pay via credit card? If so, call them.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, that is not what I pictured in my mind when you said your screen "went out". It looks like the screen is cracked to me (if it looks like the one in that link you posted). I have seen many cracked screens like this before and from what I can remember, it was never a defect causing the cracked screen, but more so the result of drops or something coming into contact with the screen (and not softly). I can see why they are not going to warranty it. Manufactures usually don't warranty cracked screens. Most times when screens "fail", they no longer power on, backlights go out, etc.... not crack. Good luck in getting them to replace it.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Well, that is not what I pictured in my mind when you said your screen "went out". It looks like the screen is cracked to me (if it looks like the one in that link you posted). I have seen many cracked screens like this before and from what I can remember, it was never a defect causing the cracked screen, but more so the result of drops or something coming into contact with the screen (and not softly). I can see why they are not going to warranty it. Manufactures usually don't warranty cracked screens. Most times when screens "fail", they no longer power on, backlights go out, etc.... not crack. Good luck in getting them to replace it.
I was thinking the same thing. I think it is pretty funny he even bothered with installing the latest firmware. Seems pointless.

Not saying this couldn't happen. I suppose it is possible the LCD could be made 1mm too large and not fit, or the plastic frame of the Zen itself could be out of spec. Either one resulting in undue stress on the LCD and random cracking.

But, I did this same thing to my Sansa e270. I sat on it. It was my fault.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 PM

Default Follow-up #2

Creative claims it was damaged and therefore out of warranty. I was offered a "special deal" price of $240 to replace it. I paid something like $290 for it and it is selling for $300 retail today.

I don't know how it was "damaged." It was in my pocket when I got home the night before the failure, and it was working. The next morning, it was damaged.

I protested at length to the customer support rep on the phone, and then I spoke to a supervisor who offered me a replacement for $200. He said that they don't replace the screen -- the same one that has failed for so many Creative Vision M owners. They simply send a new MP3 player.

This is extremely frustrating since I cannot dispute their assessment that it was "damaged." Bummer! Big bummer.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:37 PM

I don't see how you can even argue with them, it is broken. Did you break it? Did the cats break it? Did the boogie man break it? It doesn't matter, it is broken.