android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qboi View Post
it started again a month ago. no specific event triggered them, but now pretty much everytime i turn on the player, its the WSOD. totally sucks. i need to send it in for RMA, but i can't find the time.

it started again a week before i upgraded to the 1.21 firmware, so i don't think it stopped because of the firmware.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I think we expected that.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned

All this detailed discussion about firmware vs hardware issues, I dunno. I'm not an Engineer and I think the discussion is beyond anyone who isn't an Engineering technician or an Engineer.

But what we do know so far, is that, like I said, the hold switch and firmware stuff is just a temporary fix--if that--and that the WSOD comes back.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerozBooks View Post
I'm not an Engineer and I think the discussion is beyond anyone who isn't an Engineering technician or an Engineer.
It is good to hear that you seem to know who everyone is here at ABI. So, if you aren't an "Engineer", how do you understand it enough to take the time to post here claiming you have solved the WSOD issue? Then go on to mention you run a company that claims to fix that issue....... and now you can't tell why or how!

Quote:
All this detailed discussion about firmware vs hardware issues, I dunno.
Enough said.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-13-2008, 12:56 PM

i have this exact problem! also, when i start my zen sometimes the screen is too bright and the graphics looks weird and strange. so i should go to my store and have it replaced then?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsoul View Post
i have this exact problem! also, when i start my zen sometimes the screen is too bright and the graphics looks weird and strange. so i should go to my store and have it replaced then?
Yes, have it replaced. Good luck.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yes, have it replaced. Good luck.
allright, thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
weird i never heard of this problem. white screen of death is just a bright white screen. audio works though.

graphics arent distorted when the zen is restored to its normal state
Nuforce NE-4M

Old 04-14-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qboi View Post
weird i never heard of this problem. white screen of death is just a bright white screen. audio works though.

graphics arent distorted when the zen is restored to its normal state
its like the contrast gets really bright. you can see what your doing on the screen but the album art and other graphics looks really weird and blocky. i gues il go to the store today and show it to them. problem is that both the white screen of death and the high contrast comes at random times. so i dont know if it will show up or not when im in the store :/

Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
its like the contrast gets really bright. you can see what your doing on the screen but the album art and other graphics looks really weird and blocky. i gues il go to the store today and show it to them. problem is that both the white screen of death and the high contrast comes at random times. so i dont know if it will show up or not when im in the store :/
Yes, that is an odd problem. Maybe related to the WSOD..... regardless, it shouldn't be doing this and you should have it replaced.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Exclamation ZEN Start-up Issue

I've had my ZEN for a few months now, and up until a few days ago, it's been working great. I had no problems charging it, hooking it up to my computer and going through the files, and converting video.

However, a few days ago, I turned it on, the Creative logo appeared, the ZEN logo appeared, and then the screen just stay the lit but black. I used the reset button, but same result. Fair enough, perhaps the battery is dead? I plug it into my computer, and oddly enough, it no longer registers as being plugged in. Worrisome, but I figure the battery may really be that low.

I let it charge for about eight hours, only to see the same result. I tried doing the Play + Power super reset, and that didn't help me either. Has anyone had this happen, or does anyone have any ideas?

The cable I am using came with my digital cam corder a few years back, which I have used forever now as my USB to Mini-USB cable. I use it for transferring files, charging my cell phone, and my ZEN. It still has no problems performing its other duties. I can still charge my phone, and transfer files.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like the WSOD (White Screen of Death) issue. I would look into returning it for a replacement as soon as possible.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I 2nd that - RMA it ASAP!!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 05:52 PM

what is the super reset??with the play and power? i THINK i had the same problem as you, where i would load the creative sign, then the zen logo, then straight to a blank screen, with the backlight on.

try reinstalling the firmware, that solved my problem. but im not sure if my problem is the same as yours, it sounds like it but i dont know about the super reset, are you talking about the recovery mode thing?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think he is just referring to a Recovery Mode reset.

At this point, with so many experiencing the WSOD, anyone that gets a "white" or backlit screen should just return them to be safe.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 PM

mine just started its rma journey today because of display issues like this. sometimes it would turn off before coming on and other times it would be over-bright and washed out. lastly, if i used the hold feature while playing music, the screen would come on white when i turned the hold off.

the only way i could fix these issues was by turning it off and back on. hopefully the second one will be better, because it really is a nice player

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
other times it would be over-bright and washed out. lastly, if i used the hold feature while playing music, the screen would come on white when i turned the hold off.

the only way i could fix these issues was by turning it off and back on.
Classic WSOD. Hopefully your new Zen won't have this issue. I wish you luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 04-26-2008, 02:52 PM

Default Blank black screen

Brand new.
God dammit.

Was transferring music onto my zen, replacing 4 songs that had been tagged incorrectly, and I ended up with a blank black screen unable to do anything.

My computer is flat-out not recognizing my zen. I have it plugged in, I thought I'd try downloading the new(est) firmware, and it's asking me to plug it in. It's plugged in, the blue light on the power button is on, nothing else does anything.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Was it charging? Sounds like a low battery. Try doing a hard reset (small hole in bottom) and see if it comes on.

I know you had questions in this thread about charging. By any chance did you ever get it charging correctly since you got it or could you've been playing around with it too long and the battery got too low?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-26-2008, 05:23 PM

I had it fully charged, with about 1.1k songs and a full-length two-hour movie as of last night. I didn't want to try resetting it before because I believed I'd basically be resetting the player back to scratch with no files on it. I did, however, reset shortly after making this thread and have no further problems(though I am currently wondering about how to go about using the protected content feature correctly).

Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Resetting will not erase files. Reformating will. Good to hear you got it back on ok.

Zen FAQ