android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 04-28-2008, 02:53 PM

everytime i finish a sync from media player 11 i get this blank black screen and i need to reset, anyone any ideas how i can stop this happening? will i need to format?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Does it happen as soon as the sync is completed (and still connected) or is it when you remove the Zen from the USB port?

Zen FAQ

Old 04-28-2008, 04:52 PM

Default How to avoid WSOD?

I am planning on buying a Zen 8gb factory refurbished. Can the WSOD be fixed with a firmware update? Is there a way to tell if a player is prone?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No one really knows exactly what causes the WSOD. Although it does appear to be an intermittent hardware failure (maybe the LCD), so firmware won't be able to correct the issue really. All I can really tell you is that when you get your Zen, if you get any indication of a WSOD, have it returned and replaced as quickly as possible. Don't waste time trying to correct it or waiting for a fix/firmware release. Good luck and enjoy your Zen!

Zen FAQ

Old 04-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Another question: since it is factory refurbished, does this mean that it has been checked for WSOD and cleared, or better yet, had WSOD and had the problem fixed?

wow, uh, maybe I'm asking to much.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:13 PM

In theory, they should have checked it.. But whether WSOD slowly develops is unknown. If you start seeing signs of WSOD after a couple of weeks etc. , as BobbyRS said, you should return it ASAP.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 AM

It happens while it is still connected. I have to disconnect the USB and reset the player.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Default which usb cable are you using?

In this thread: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=27186

vince227 discovered that using the usb cable that came with the player solves a lot of connection problems. I was having some connection freezes when I used the usb cable that came with my digital camera rather than the Zen one.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm wondering if the database has too many issues and causes it to lock up. Boot into Recovery Mode and select a Disk Cleanup and try again. If that doesn't do it, I'm thinking something may be wrong with the file system; which would need a reformat to correct (will lose files). However, before trying a reformat, try reloading the firmware and see if that helps.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-09-2008, 09:50 PM

I bought a zen a couple weeks ago and was impressed with the delightful little player, but recently i had gotten the 'bright screen' problem, where i turn the player on and everything it way too bright, to the point of distorting images on the player. After fiddling for a little bit i found that this only happened when i quickly snaped the on switch down then released it. the result was perhaps an error in the power up process that caused the screen to be too bright. I found that the only thing you need to do to avoid this is to hold the power button on until it starts up, then release and all is well. someone else i know who had previously told me to replace mine because of the issue, tried 'flicking' his Zen on and he had the same issue. Weither or not this is an issue with all the Zen players, i dunno, but im fine with just hold the on button for a sec when i turn mine on.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Perhaps you should read through this thread again, for the best action to take when having this issue is returning the Zen. The WSOD appears to be a hardware issue and the cause is really unknown, but usually results in getting worse over time, no matter what temporary fix you may think you are doing. Eventually, the WSOD will be all you end up getting when you turn it on.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-10-2008, 12:34 PM

Default 16gb?

has wsod been witnessed in 16gb players?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not sure..... I don't recall any WSOD's in the 16GB or 32GB Zen's (at least I haven't heard of any or seen any here).

Zen FAQ

Old 05-11-2008, 02:33 AM

Default so....

so will it be a safe bet for me to put my money on the 16gb zen as i am finding the d2 and the ipod classic too expensive?

thanks

Old 05-11-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinal.thakur View Post
so will it be a safe bet for me to put my money on the 16gb zen as i am finding the d2 and the ipod classic too expensive?

thanks
I have a 32gb version and have had zero issues so far.....

Old 05-11-2008, 03:31 AM

ok thanks.
point noted

Old 05-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a 32GB version with no issues, but then again, I also have a 4GB that has never had any real problems as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-12-2008, 01:33 AM

Default problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I have a 32GB version with no issues, but then again, I also have a 4GB that has never had any real problems as well.
real problems? its givin rise to suspicions!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinal.thakur View Post
real problems? its givin rise to suspicions!
Not really; just a couple of lock-ups where I had to do a reset. I have noticed the 4GB has locked-up more times then the 32GB Zen. The 32Gb Zen..... maybe twice and one was user induced.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Default kk

oh ok
so after two failures with the 8GB ZEN, should I put my money on a 16GB ZEN from amazon (which might have a lesser chance of refund, just in case?)