android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's really your call. Yes, the 16-32GB Zen's seem to have less (or no) reported WSOD's. This could be because they don't suffer from what ever is the cause of the WSOD or it could simply be that there probably isn't as many of the 16-32GB versions sold compared to the 4-8GB Zen's. It is hard to judge just by what you read in forums since most people post because they are searching for solutions to their problems more so then praising or supporting the player they have. So the error to no-errors posts are a little scued there.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-14-2008, 01:03 AM

my 32gb is in for rma right now because of over-bright/wsod issues.

creative takes forever (at 3 weeks now) on rmas

luckily i still have my sansa as a backup (too bad the screen sucks so watching movies is painful)

Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudd3r View Post
my 32gb is in for rma right now because of over-bright/wsod issues.

creative takes forever (at 3 weeks now) on rmas

luckily i still have my sansa as a backup (too bad the screen sucks so watching movies is painful)
something went wrong, you should call them. it should take 10 days maximum.

mine was processed in 3 days i think
Nuforce NE-4M

Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Default WSOD or something different?

Well, after getting my mp3 player out of my pocket to put away I noticed this:

WSOD or something different? I've had it since around February, it's a 32GB with the latest firmware, would I be able to get a new one from Creative if necessary? Play.com, the website I bought it from, only does 28 day returns.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

....something different. It looks as though you have a cracked LCD display. It's the famous "ink spill look". Unfortunately, the LCD is ruined and you will need a new LCD display. Even more bad news..... many manufacturers won't cover this under their warranty. They consider it user negligence. Still, contact Creative and see what they say. I'm sure they can fix it. The issue is how much it will be IF they donít cover it under the warranty. If it is within Creative's 90 day labor warranty, you may have a better chance. Good luck!

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.

Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:57 AM

Default Help. Display broken!

Hi!
I bought a Creative Zen for 5 Month by Amazon.de!
Now my display broken!
What can I do, that this damage is to guarantee?
What shall I say to Amazon what happens??

Thanks

Many greats!

Old 06-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Broken displays tend to be the owner's problem - it's usually not under warranty. Contact Amazon.de and see if they make an exception. Good luck on it though and please keep us posted.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thread merged with main Screen Problems thread.

Alex-Alkomat: You may want to re-read the thread now that it is merged. Starting here, you should see another person that experienced the same issue that you have. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 PM

Default A bit worried about my future ZEN 4gb and the white screen problem

Hi! I just bought a new zen 4gb player. i had seen 5 reviews of the Zen and after that i bought one. (2 days ago). I still don't have it in my hands because is still in the shipping process.

Today i start reading more and mode about the Zen and i see A LOT of people with the white screen of death (WSOD), even videos on youtube! , and im a bit worried because i don't want to trash my money.

I want to know: That problem is very very common?? Creative solved the problem in new versions? Did creative recognize the problem?

What are the chanses that my zen fails with that white screen?

Sorry for my bad english.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Post merged with main WSOD thread.

cyberstudio: you may want to have a read at this thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Smile

hi...Im a new member of this forum and to be frank I only joined the forum to say thanks as this thread was of a great help.
The thread helped me find what was wronge with my creative zen 8gb mp3 video player with the hole white screen and music playing as i brought the zen around 14hours and 5mins give or take an hour or two and took it home when i installed it the cd on my acer aspire 5920 with vista and found that the zen wasn`t charging so after leaving for an hour or two over dr who i found that the reset button made the screen light up thought ok now were getting somewhere,after letting it charge for a few hours i turned it on to put some music on it but found i was only getting the white screen then found this website and desided to press a few direction buttons and pause/play button and the music started playing.
well im phoning the store tomorow and hopfully getting a new one but that my story.
once again thanks to everyone on the thread great help.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome creativezen !wtf!. The sooner you can get your Zen replaced the better. Good luck.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM

Default 8GB Zen dosen't turn on...

I've had my Zen for less than a day and I get the WSOD, and well now I'm just pissed. So I let the battery run down and I try plugging it into my computer and its not recongized by my computer nor does it turn on. I really want to fix this, I've been waiting like a week for it to come and now its just broke. =\

Old 07-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thread merged with main WSOD thread.

Your Zen needs replaced. Read this thread for more info on the WSOD.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Perhaps this might help?

Hi guys

New member here.

I have an 8GB version of the ZEN and have gotten the WSOD and have been using a 3ft USB cable to connect it to the PC. Now I dont remember if it's a 2.0 USB cable of the 1.0 USB cable. Its from a smartphone so I will assume it is 1.0. (dont have the Creative cable that came with the unit)

Since using it I have been able to charge the unit with that longer smartphone cable (about 3 feet), the PC can see my unit and all the files, and I can also play and hear the music on the headphones.

Of course, I still cant see anything on the ZEN screen itself even while it charges. Even taking if off after charging and/or transferring files didnt make the white screen go away. I even updated the firmware (needed it ) to the latest and still the same problem.

I had tried the trick where you leave it on hold till it turns off, then slide it back down, and yes that does help. But would encounter the same problem when hooking it back to the PC with the longer USB cable.

Now, I have also tried using a regular wall mounted USB charger and I have noticed that everytime I use that, the white screen problem dissappears. I have been able to turn off the unit and on without the white screen showing up. I have left it off overnight, then turned it back on after waking up and still no white screen.

I have done this several times and its still good, its only when I connect it to the PC with that longer and maybe even older USB cable that I get that problem even after I disconnect it.

So I am going to suggest a couple of things:

It might be the cable being used. Perhaps most of you that are experiencing these problems have been using another cable other than the one suplied by Creative? Also check to see if it is USB 2.0

Try using a USB wall charger. I have been using a USB wall charger that came with a smartphone I use, and as I said, the white screen problem seems to go away.

I will of course keep trying for longer periods of time and using different combos and even try to get myself a 2.0 cable if that is what I dont have.

I will assume it might have something to do with the USB cable being used to attach it to the PC.

Any of you who have had the problem been using a USB cable other than Creatives?

Last edited by alxjm69; 07-15-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello alxgm69. Welcome.

Any indication of a WSOD should be considered a defective Zen and should be replaced. No troubleshooting or extra time by anyone getting a WSOD on their Zen should be considered as acceptable procedures to operate the Zen. It does appear that the WSOD is directly related to a defect within the LCD as well as perhaps related to power (maybe even to the LCD). So, yes that would make sense that charging either through USB or AC charger on the USB port could manipulate what is relating to the cause of the WSOD. Regardless, the Zen is not supposed to act in this way, as well as any consumer who purchases the Zen need to go through any of this to get their new device to work.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-15-2008, 03:48 PM

I agree and do understand that the unit should be considered defective and sent for replacement, but sometimes, at the time of defect it may be past the service warranty.

So for those who shelled out the money and are not looking to buy another or cannot , it would be better to look into alternatives that are either free or economical (and that doesnt always mean cheap). I certainly would not spend another $100 or more to either get the same replacement or such.

Besides, I was simply asking the community for some input as to whether or not they have used such cables when connecting the ZEN to the PC. I'm trying to figure out if it is indeed a power related issue such as not getting the right voltage thru a bug in the firmware when using a USB cable that is not Creatives or perhaps people using a USB 1.0 cable erroneously. Isnt this what this community is all about? Figuring out what and how?

So do you have any concrete information on suggesting that it is the LCD that is defective or that it is power related?

UPDATE: As of this writing 4:51pm, my ZEN is STILL NOT SHOWING THE WSOD. I had left it off since checking it this morning after charging it on the wall charging USB power plug.

Oh and thanks for the welcome.

Last edited by alxjm69; 07-15-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zen hasn't been out long enough for anyone to be forced to look at alternative ways of repair. This does somewhat hinder the ability for most to dive in for testing to figure out the exact cause of the WSOD. I do applaud your thinking and approach in testing for the cause. However, I just don't believe it should be shown in the way as an acceptable bug or possible easy work around because it shouldn't be so. With that said, there has been plenty of discussion regarding the WSOD here as well as any cable problems that can easily be seen through a simple search.

Quote:
So do you have any concrete information on suggesting that it is the LCD that is defective or that it is power related?

I suggest taking a good look at this thread in detail. Particularly page 6. My thoughts (as well as others) as to what may be causing or related to the WSOD has already been posted.

Check this post and this post.

I know of many around the forums that have not used the USB 2.0 cable that comes with the Zen; mainly due to its short length. The problem (and thread here) regarding the constant connect/re-connect issue seems to be more involved with a cable issue (not using either the one that came with the Zen or a quality 2.0 cable).

Quote:
Oh and thanks for the welcome.
No problem. Stick around. It's nice having new members that aren't posting just to be asking for help.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 PM

I did read thru the whole thread even before I joined as a member. This was the reason for my posting and wanting to know if any others had been using an older USB 1.0 cable instead of Creatives.

Again, reason I'm asking is cause I dont have a long USB 2.0 cable. I could be totally wrong but as some of you have posted, Creative wont admit the problem.

I spent months trying out various players for evaluation purposes, just to return them within the 30 days, and the ZEN came out on top. I believe its a great product with many benefial features. (Did wish it had Bluetooth or Wi-fi) :P
So I want to keep it alive and around for more than a year and a half. HAHA.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Although it doesn't seem to happen as often as it used to, it still happens enough to not let this thread die.

I don't believe there will be anything directly related to using a USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 cable in general. However, that doesn't mean it can't be part of the issue. Basically all USB cables are the same. The only difference between a 1.1 and 2.0 USB cable is the quality. USB 1.1 cables can be perfectly 2.0 capable. The problem is with poor quality USB 1.1 cables that the market seems to be flooded with. Many manufactures found that using cheaper material didn't affect the performance of USB 1.1 devices (so many of them began cheating on the 1.1 specs) but when used with USB 2.0 devices, they began causing problems. So, developers began certifying their cables for USB 2.0 performance. Therefore, cables certified as USB 2.0 are guaranteed to perform up to the USB 2.0 specifications. Now, with that said, you can still use a USB 1.1 cable with a USB 2.0 device and it could work just fine. A good quality USB 1.1 cable may not have any negative effect when using compared to a USB 2.0 cable, but when using a USB 1.1 cable, there will be a greater chance of having a poorer quality cable that could cause issues when using with a higher speed device. Which is why a certified USB 2.0 cable is always good to use. So, the problem is that there are a lot of cables out there that do not even meet the USB 1.1 spec.

Quote:
(Did wish it had Bluetooth or Wi-fi) :P
Quote:
Have you seen the new Zen X=Fi?

Zen FAQ