android
Old 11-29-2008, 02:48 PM

Default Youtube to Pilot in a single step?

Has anyone found a program, and settings, to convert a youtube flv (and other formats) to a format that will play ok on the Pilot? This thing is so darn picky on what it plays. I'm tired of having to use 2 or more programs to convert a single video that will play on the Pilot.

If anyone has found a solution, let us know what program, and settings you use. So many programs support iPod video but I have never found a program that had a specific output setting for the Insignia Pilot, not even the Arcsoft converter that comes with it.

Thanks,
Tim

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 PM

I've been using Any Video Converter Freeware. You can copy/paste YouTube URLs into AVC and it will download and convert the files.

Pick the "Customized AVI Movie" profile. Check the settings (under the preview pane). Video: xvid, 320x240, 512, 29.970. Audio: mp3, 128, 44100, 2, No, Basic.

To prevent freaky weird playback after fast-forwarding go to Edit, Options..., MP3 Parameters and change to ABR.

I hope this works for you.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:54 PM

Thank you very much! It worked without a hitch.

Tim

Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM

What does ABR do? I am using Super right now. The only thing I don't like is choppy FF. When I was using AVC a few months ago I got a lot of choppy playback, video and audio.

Dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaBath View Post
I've been using Any Video Converter Freeware. You can copy/paste YouTube URLs into AVC and it will download and convert the files.

Pick the "Customized AVI Movie" profile. Check the settings (under the preview pane). Video: xvid, 320x240, 512, 29.970. Audio: mp3, 128, 44100, 2, No, Basic.

To prevent freaky weird playback after fast-forwarding go to Edit, Options..., MP3 Parameters and change to ABR.

I hope this works for you.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Sorry ... dumb question ...

Can this AVC program be used to convert movie DVD's into files that can be viewed on the Pilot? Would anyone mind giving me a primer OR point me toward one?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Default Failed.

When I tried to convert using this tool it always messes up one or two of the files. I converted a DVD and it says a few of the files can't be opened. They play back perfectly on my PC.

I used the following settings:

AVI
bitrate = 512K
Audio bitrate = 128K
Frame rate = 29.97

I guess I am wondered what is going on that it can't load files? corrupt data or bad device?

Old 12-05-2008, 09:33 PM

Talking I don't know why, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartsoc View Post
What does ABR do?
Setting Any Video Converter to ABR makes CBR files which give smooth playback.

I noticed that files converted with MediaConverter 2 playback fine and GSpot reports CBR. AVC's default setting is CBR, but has choppy playback after FFW and GSpot reports VBR. On a whim, I tried the ABR setting which plays smooth and GSpot reports as CBR.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM

All this is very perplexing, but I'll try AVC again to see if it can smooth out the rough edges. Thanks,

Dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaBath View Post
Setting Any Video Converter to ABR makes CBR files which give smooth playback.

I noticed that files converted with MediaConverter 2 playback fine and GSpot reports CBR. AVC's default setting is CBR, but has choppy playback after FFW and GSpot reports VBR. On a whim, I tried the ABR setting which plays smooth and GSpot reports as CBR.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Default Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartsoc View Post
All this is very perplexing
But it is a "Youtube to Pilot in a single step" solution.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Yes it is, I am happy for it.

The AVC adjustment did not cure the choppy fast forward but at least it plays correctly when resuming normal playback. AVC did the conversions faster than SUPER so I am going to use it for a while longer to see if any problems crop up.