android
Old 06-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj View Post
You cant do it using ur pc frnd.you hv to do it frm clip itself.suppose a song ABC is causing ur clip to freze.Go to this song using ur sansa rockbox clip,hold the center button,now will see a menu there,chose cut frm that menu.Now go to #MUSIC##>Music folder frm ur clip,hold the center button and chose paste.
So there goes your carefully organized folder structure, eh frnd?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 AM

New bootloader: http://anythingbutipod.com/images/fo...-dual_boot.zip

Old 06-21-2009, 05:34 PM

I just installed Rockbox on my clip It was working well but stopped playing several times. Hopefully the new bootloader will help.

I'm a longtime Rockbox lover. I've been running it on my Archos V1 recorder (upgraded to 120 gigs) for many years.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 06-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funman View Post
Also it has been confirmed than using rockbox definitely kills your player ability to play DRM'd files, even after a reformat.

Hmm, maybe for Audible, but protected WMA from Overdrive (Library) seems to work.

I put put back the 1.01.30a bootfile to go back to OF after using Rockbox for a while. I loaded a audiobook from Overdrive and am listening to it right now, no problem.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks--good to hear a real life experience on this. Thanks for the update.

Would also be good to hear if anyone has found the same as to Audible files.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Thumb Up The firmware so far so GOOOD!

I love Rockbox , i think it's the best firmaware for my iriver H10 and now for the little Clip Sansa.
The implementation is marvelous!
If you make a difference of the radio , in the original firmware it switches channels with a grea sound delay of 1s almost. Via Rockbox it's swippes the time to almost NULL . hmm.. improvement? no , genius!
Also i found a bug in this department , when u turn on player..and go directly to radio .. after changing pressets ,mine has 28 , for some reason , many pressets will play a distorted sound of the same previous chanel , back 4-5 positions.
the solution was to press PLAY to stop playing radio , than again to listen to radio , and the pressets bug was gone.
Hope that this feedback helps !
Great work guys! big cheers

Old 06-24-2009, 09:35 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
How to use it? I download it and copy it to clip root folder, then i unplug the USB, it update the firmware, however, when the update finished, i start the clip, it showed load find not found... then it shutdown itself...Anyone can help me how to do? Thanks...

BTW, my clip is V1 4G. Thanks...

Old 06-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You need to install both the bootloader (which can load either the original firmware or rockbox) as well as rockbox itself. Boot the original firmware (i think by pushing home or maybe the left key) then install rockbox.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 AM

Help

Guys, I have summarized a step by step install rockbox to Clip, please help to review it. I now have generate all the file, but not dare to test it on my clip yet!
1. Download most recent source from rockbox svn server:
svn co svn://svn.rockbox.org/rockbox/trunk rockbox
2. Compile it for Bootloader:
1). choose 55 for Sansa Clip only.
2). Choose B for bootloader compilation.
3). Download official firmware from sandisk website. Extract it to you build folder.
4). use mkamsboot application to generate a bootable firmware:
../rbutil/mkamsboot/mkamsboot.exe m300a.bin bootloader-clip.sansa out.bin
5). Then rename "out.bin" to "m300a.bin", which is bootable firmware for rockbox.
3. Compile for rockbox:
1). Choose N for a normal rockbox compilation.
2). make fullzip to generate a rockbox with full fonts included.
4. Copy m300a.bin and .rockbox folder to clip root, then unplug the clip, it will update the firmware automatically, then shutdown.
5. now power on it...

Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 PM

Does Rockbox support audio files like the Clip does? Meaning the Clip allows you to catalog an MP3 as an audiobook by either putting it in the audiobook folder or putting audiobook as the genre. The advantages of this is for MP3 audio books (or lectures) you can still get the advantages of audiobooks - like Resume playback? Also, can you do oflder/file browsing for audiobooks with Rockboxs?

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListensLectures View Post
Does Rockbox support audio files like the Clip does? Meaning the Clip allows you to catalog an MP3 as an audiobook by either putting it in the audiobook folder or putting audiobook as the genre. The advantages of this is for MP3 audio books (or lectures) you can still get the advantages of audiobooks - like Resume playback? Also, can you do oflder/file browsing for audiobooks with Rockboxs?

Thanks!
File formats

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 PM

You can resume or bookmark anything.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Can you bookmark and resume multiple files? That is what the clip allows with audiobooks.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes.

As far as I am aware and can recall, Rockbox does not have separate audiobook or podcast capabilities (at least, as to my Rockbox version from last year (I've gotten a bit behind with upgrading ...)); Rockbox's general playback capabilities for files apply to audiobooks and podcasts as well, which includes the ability to bookmark files and create multiple bookmarks. And then you can simply peruse the bookmark list and choose the one you want to use. (Again, this is based on the last version that I have of Rockbox, from last year; if things have changed, I'm sure someone will note it.)

And yes, Rockbox has folder and file view and navigation, for all files, whatever the genre.

In the end, unless things have changed, Rockbox doesn't care what the genre of a file is--all its capabilities apply to all genre types alike.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:13 PM

this is my first post on abi, so btw i wanted to say hi to everyone

i've been following this discussion for a while now but i haven't noticed anyone mentioning battery life, or more specifically, a HUGE drop in it when using rockbox. a few days ago mine ran flat after about 5.5 hrs with me using it as usual (moderate volume, not much jumping around folders or fiddling whatsoever) - at first i was worried that it was a hardware issue, since the battery life got halved (roughly speaking), but just the next day i switched to the original firmware (still using the latest dualboot) and it got back to normal.

now has anyone been experiencing this and would somebody have a clue why on earth would it happen (especially bearing in mind what was said about rockbox optimising the cpu usage, lol)?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo_jacopucci View Post
now has anyone been experiencing this and would somebody have a clue why on earth would it happen (especially bearing in mind what was said about rockbox optimising the cpu usage, lol)?
Lots of the code doesn't even run without crashing, its not surprising that its not efficient yet.

That said the battery life went up by about 2 hours with yesterdays commit, so part of it is that you tested an old build.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM

OK, a little confusion here. Hopefully someone can set this straight.

All my MP3's have been processed using MP3Gain (similar to ReplayGain.) I have not enabled ReplayGain in the settings menu, yet, it appears as if I am not experiencing clipping. What's going on here?

Is MP3Gain different enough from ReplayGain that the settings do not need to be enabled?
My mind is kinda fried at the moment...

Wouldn't ReplayGain settings be applicable to the MP3Gain settings? I thought both programs were based on the same architecture. I would think that the ReplayGain settings would be directed to the same location as the MP3Gain settings.
Hmmm...

*Build: r21604-090701

Last edited by tubafish; 07-02-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Dang hyphen!/reformat

Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubafish View Post

All my MP3's have been processed using MP3Gain (similar to ReplayGain.) I have not enabled ReplayGain in the settings menu, yet, it appears as if I am not experiencing clipping. What's going on here?
MP3gain rewrites the mp3 file to have a different volume. You can't enable or disable it.

If you have further questions about how to use it, you should probably ask in the software forum, rather then the Rockbox threads.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you put your music through MP3Gain, that program writes info. into the music files so that they play at a different volume. You do not need to use ReplayGain and any ReplayGain setting in Rockbox is irrelevant to MP3Gain. That's a great value of MP3Gain: the MP3Gain'ed files will work on any DAP without the need for any special software or software setting.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:13 AM

Thanks Mikerman.
The subtitles escaped me.
I thought all the info was written to the header.

@Sartoga:
It makes sense to ask that question here since it is tied to RockBox and not the OF.

Last edited by tubafish; 07-03-2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Civility