android
Old 12-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak View Post
I hope they're able to find a recovery function for this player. Ohhh its soo beautiful =]
Unfortunately it seems there is no recovery at all, so the risk can not be 0.

That just means we have to be very cautious when writing the code which patches the firmware

The development tools in rockbox svn seem to work now, after I "only" bricked 2 Clips when working on it :/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-05-2008, 09:36 PM

Some observations: The default theme could use a bit of tweaking due to the line between the yellow part of the screen and the blue part of the screen. Resume is buggy. Seeking is buggy. It randomly crashes. It'd be nice if you could add the bootloader to OF version 1.1.30. Basically, they're right when they say "don't try this at home"

Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Absolutely. But, wow.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Some observations: The default theme could use a bit of tweaking due to the line between the yellow part of the screen and the blue part of the screen. Resume is buggy. Seeking is buggy. It randomly crashes. It'd be nice if you could add the bootloader to OF version 1.1.30. Basically, they're right when they say "don't try this at home"
I noticed the theme problem, you can change that in .rockbox/wps/cabbiev2.128x64x1.wps by changing the 2 first |6| to |8| so it's aligned on the blue/yellow separation. (still not in svn because other models use the screen resolution and same file)

about resume/seek/crash you should patch your build with FS#9332 : i use that and i only have some little skips but no crashes

and finally you can patch any firmware you want (the mkamsboot program has a list of known OF and will print a warning if you have an untested one, be very careful because untested firmwares could brick your player), myself i use the 1.1.30 and have no problems with it

Note that there is still a lot of work to do on this port, so if you can code, feel free to propose your help (especially I find the current keymap a lot buggy, and it's easy to fix I think even for non programmers)

Old 12-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Note that there is still a lot of work to do on this port, so if you can code, feel free to propose your help (especially I find the current keymap a lot buggy, and it's easy to fix I think even for non programmers)
so funman, I know this is kinda putting you on the spot but in your best estimation how long before there's a version stable enough for the general public to use....6 months??...
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 12-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
so funman, I know this is kinda putting you on the spot but in your best estimation how long before there's a version stable enough for the general public to use....6 months??...
can't tell really, i'm as much impatient as you, but it will be stable enough for public use when:

1/ missing code is written (recording, FM, >2GB internal storage, USB)
2/ written code is debugged
3/ manual is written
4/ use brain so most of the screens do not look weird on the blue/yellow screen
5/ testing is made, above steps are repeated

Sorry guys but I can't estimate any of these points, of course it will go quicker if new programmers hear about the effort and join the course ..

Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 PM

Well, after applying the "read audio data directly from flash" patch, this thing's quite a bit more stable. Still needs some work on resuming/seeking, but at least it doesn't crash if you look at it funny and is somewhat usable.
Seems there's also room for battery life optimization (like fixing whatever caused the CPU to not get stuck at 248 MHz).
About the clip getting officially supported, it certainly won't happen in 3.1 (freezing tomorrow?). I think one of the developers said it'd probably happen in 3.2 (March?) or 3.3 (June?). On the other hand, the Gigabeat S got sound just over 7 months ago and still isn't supported.

Last edited by binaryhermit; 12-08-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 AM

Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 AM

Ahh Stop!! I don't even have my clip, nor have I used one, but you make me want a rockbox build right away!! If it comes out before my Clip comes in the mail(It was supposed to be here yesterday), I might just stick Rockbox on there and stay with it. I'm sure it's got a while before it's nearly stable, but yeah. Imagine kicking on the mpeg plugin on this beast! I've never seen a clip start on fire!! :P

Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Imagine kicking on the mpeg plugin on this beast! I've never seen a clip start on fire!! :P
Well, from what I heard the Clip's CPU should be quite overpowered/underused for what it does in this tiny player... it should handle video, Doom[tm], and other shenanigans, more or less. It's the same as the Fuze, anyway. Of course the Clip's screen might be a minor drawback there...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Well, from what I heard the Clip's CPU should be quite overpowered/underused for what it does in this tiny player... it should handle video, Doom[tm], and other shenanigans, more or less. It's the same as the Fuze, anyway. Of course the Clip's screen might be a minor drawback there...
Hmm.. after Rockbox possibly becomes a stable port, how hard do you think porting a 2-color tetris game played with the clip on it's side? Could happen. In the future. Farrr future. All I care about right now is gapless and advanced EQ. My ultra-high end JVC HA-FX34 require only the best, you know.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 AM

There's already a lot of games on the Clip. All that are in the Rockbox plugin index except Doom, GB/GBC emu, etc. - for obvious reasons. Tetris is called Rockblox for copyright reasons.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Yeah I know but those adjust to the resolution and colors? Sorry I don't know much about the super-inner workings of Rockbox. I really wish I could, though. Have you tried the breakout clone that's on there? I forget the name, and the rockbox page is blocked on my school's connection. >.<

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Yeah I know but those adjust to the resolution and colors? Sorry I don't know much about the super-inner workings of Rockbox. I really wish I could, though. Have you tried the breakout clone that's on there? I forget the name, and the rockbox page is blocked on my school's connection. >.<
Most work on other greyscale and monochrome targets, so they should work on the clip eventually, though buttons and resolution may require tweaking.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM

That's awesome. If I get to play breakout on my Clip once this is out, my life will be COMPLETE.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 PM

this is really interesting. i hope the development will turn out positive for the clip. it would make the clip even more attractive when the rockbox would actually work almost bug-free.
i am really looking forward to this project. hopefully i won't need that much time for a public release

Old 12-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kredig View Post
this is really interesting. i hope the development will turn out positive for the clip. it would make the clip even more attractive when the rockbox would actually work almost bug-free.
i am really looking forward to this project. hopefully i won't need that much time for a public release
Hopefully. I'm still lost on the whole V1,V2 thing, but I don't see anything on this board that really explains it much.

All i know is that there is no recovery mode(yet. we should ask sansa to put one in the firmware release, unless its not part of the firmware, which it probably isn't).

Just make it reallyreallyreally stable when you patch it! :P

Old 12-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

No one has opened a V2, so no one knows what they are.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM

geez...forget Santa...I want Rockbox on my Fuze!!
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 12-10-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?...9972#msg139972

Now I can (almost) die happy...

The port is not functional yet - please don't ask where to get it, how to install it, etc.
Where can I download the latest rockbox for clip and how do I install it?
Thanks!