android
Old 05-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pros1n View Post
Good to know, but the main point why I need rockbox is because it can tell time.

Off topic:By the way... I decided to order a fiio e5 again for the extra bass
Tell time.....don't you have a cell phone for that?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Yea I know,
I don't think you do. The Fiio has 3dB of bass boost. You can apply 10 times as much with rockbox, and without the added noise and distortion. Theres no reason to use an amp to get bass when you have an good EQ.

Quote:
but I can't stand up with the bass booster that the clip FW has.
More likely you're just not using the EQ correctly.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak View Post
I've installed it a few times on my silver 4GB, most recently tried a couple weeks ago. Sometimes it plays, sometimes it doesn't. Games and apps work as expected with such a small screen, but music decides when it'll play and always with clicks and pops. Maybe I'll try again this weekend.

I think I just unlocked gold. Installed once again and I just listened to an entire track.. without skipping, errors, click or pops. I hope this stays.. Because I'm messing with the EQ and I am realizing, this Clip sounds better than the original FW EQ allows.. even though I always knew it. Having the E3 and KSC-75, with gapless, just makes things better. One step closer to a fully stable version. Now it flowed so gaplessly into the next.. no errors. I think I just found my new all-time-use player.
I haven’t heard a snap, crackle or pop is many weeks It plays thru multiple albums without an issue. On the older builds I did get glitches during music playback and the occassional lock up, but not any more. With good phones I like this player as much as my i7 and no amp either \o/ With rockbox, it’s got my vote for player of the year again. BTW, it's got me considering a fuze to rockbox as well.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-15-2009, 03:01 PM

Default Sansa Slip GB8 at Walmart for $49.99

Guys, If you're wanting to get a Clip to Rockbox, check out Walmart. I saw an 8GB Sansa Clip 2 weeks ago there for $49.99, no joke. Not sure if they're trying to move em or what, no for sale sign. I don't need one, I've already Rockbocked my e260 Rapsody... enjoy

Old 05-15-2009, 03:04 PM

I thought the walmart 8Gb ones were V2 clips? You need a V1 for rockbox (the v2 clip port isn't as far along yet).

Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Yea they are V2, so no luck

Old 05-15-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Yea,but I don't like to dig in my deep pocket and grab my razr. It's just too bulky. Why can't I just look at the time while I change the song?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I don't think you do. The Fiio has 3dB of bass boost. You can apply 10 times as much with rockbox, and without the added noise and distortion. Theres no reason to use an amp to get bass when you have an good EQ.

More likely you're just not using the EQ correctly.
Well, I need it for my other devices that do not have an EQ function. Example: NDS with M3 Real.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And so for those using Rockbox: as with other Rockbox ports, is one able to boot into the original firmware, if desired (such as, to record at this point)? And, does Rockbox permanently disable the ability to use DRM'ed files on the Clip (this possibility was discussed at one point, at the Sansa port Rockbox forum)?

I'm just wondering if there's a downside at this point, to flashing to Rockbox on the Clip ...

Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 PM

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaAMS

Old 05-16-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
So that means with rockbox installed, my amp will be useless?
Amp: FiiO E5(Nationite EDITION)

Old 05-16-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop4life View Post
So that means with rockbox installed, my amp will be useless?
With rockbox the bass sound adjustment has a minimum setting of -24 dB and the maximum of 24 dB (0 dB is flat), why would that 3dB from the fiio be important? And the probability of the fiio introducing hiss is high, I listen to mine without my amp, works great

Old 05-16-2009, 07:21 AM

i have the E5... and i use it always on normal setting(no bass boost)... just wondering if the E5 is useless with rockbox. or any amp for that matter..
Amp: FiiO E5(Nationite EDITION)

Old 05-16-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
i have the E5... and i use it always on normal setting(no bass boost)... just wondering if the E5 is useless with rockbox. or any amp for that matter..
No amp needed, unless you need to drive very high impedance cans.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks. Yep, already had read through that (as well as the Clip page and the Sansa port thread). And hence, my questions.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
That's not a matter of Rockbox or stock firmware, but about the Clip itself, I would say. But yes, since the stock firmware EQ sucks so hard, the +3dB bass boost of the FiiO was a reason for me to use it until Rockbox got as stable as it currently is.

A good amp could still improve the stereo crosstalk of the Clip, or lower distortions with low-impedance phones... but the FiiO can't really do that. That's exactly the points where the FiiO is weaker than other amps.

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Vario...Minibox-E+.htm
http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...2048%20Ohm.htm

Not that the Clip "sucks" concerning these aspects, a better amp like the Headsix, T4, MBE+ would just get you that "last 5%" quality increase, certainly not a "night and day" difference. Not to mention those amps are all huge and would lead the whole portability factor of the Clip ad absurdum.

So yes, I'd say the Clip is a fine player without an amp.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Yep, already had read through that (as well as the Clip page and the Sansa port thread). And hence, my questions.
Read it more carefully? I linked it since it answers both your questions (though honestly I don't think anyone has ever tried the DRM thing on the Clip so who knows if its correct about that).

Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I wouldn't need to carry mine around so much if I had time of day on my Clip. (Actually, I started carrying my rockboxed C240 around again just because it has a clock)

I'm so jealous of you guys who have working rockbox on a Clip. But not enough to load Linux on a PC and figure out how to compile it myself (yet). I don't suppose anyone would email me a file?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:25 PM

I've been following this thread for a few months now with great anticipation. Reading dfkt's remarks about just how stable Rockbox is now, I'm interested in tracking down a v1 clip so that my albums that require gapless can be listened to as intended. (Both my current clips are v2. )

After doing a lot of reading, I've come to realize when I do find a v1 clip to purchase I will be totally lost as to how to install it. There seems to be a lack of installation instructions that are free from the heavy use of jargon. For the layman, installation seems to be a daunting task.

I was wondering if somehow I've just missed a simply written, straightforward explanation as to how to install Rockbox while it is still in the development stage? If not, would someone with install experience be willing to talk a newbie through the process of installing it?

Old 05-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As far as I am aware, there are no "simple" instructions at this point, as the port still is in the development stage.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubafish View Post
After doing a lot of reading, I've come to realize when I do find a v1 clip to purchase I will be totally lost as to how to install it. There seems to be a lack of installation instructions that are free from the heavy use of jargon. For the layman, installation seems to be a daunting task.

I was wondering if somehow I've just missed a simply written, straightforward explanation as to how to install Rockbox while it is still in the development stage? If not, would someone with install experience be willing to talk a newbie through the process of installing it?
Once the port will be finished you simply use this: http://www.rockbox.org/download/ - for now, it's not for the layman, since you could still damage your player by using it.