android
Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 AM

Default A728 - is the screen as good as E436

Hi I just bought an E436 for my wife and the screen is way way way better than the A818 that I have, even though it costs half as much. Now I am thinking about the A728 for myself. My fear is that I order one and it has the same screen tech (I know it is larger) of the A818. My hope is that it is the same tech as the newer E436. The E436 is brighter, had better viewing angles, does not have the odd rainbowy glare on the plastic, and has jet black blacks. The A818 was significantly lower quality in all of these respects. One thing I noted was that the A818 appears to be from 2007 and the E is from 2008.

The reason I don't just get myself an E for the great screen, is that I want the ClearBass, etc that comes only in the S and A series. Also is the USB cable for the E436 and A728 interchangeable?

Thanks for any insight.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

The A720 screen s the worst of the sonys, first of all it has less pixels per inch (same resolution, bigger screen) so it doesnt look as detailed. second, colors arent that good.

If you want all EQ stuff, why dont you buy a S630? Its basically an E430 with all that shit on it. And yes, the cables work on all newer sonys
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...630-review.php

Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 AM

I was looking at the S638 as well but I just was interested in the A728 because it costs a third less. I am actually going to call one of the UK companies today about getting an S639. The only thing that sucks about S638 is that due to it's newness, nobody is selling in here in the US besides Sony - at full retail. I have been watching Amazon for two weeks for it to show up.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have an A829 & a S639, and I'll say the S639 import from the UK is the best deal. Especially since it's around $150.00USD including S&H. SonyStyle will have it for around $200.00 or better when, or if, it hits the US. IMO the best bet is to hit Advanced MP3 Players in the UK, and enjoy once it arrives.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:59 PM

I got a new A728 from Amazon for $99 with free shipping. The next day it went up to $135, then $179, then settled back at $135. I am pleased with the deal. It is a great player - I love it. The reason I did not get the s739 from the UK is that I called Sony and directly asked if it would be covered under warranty and they said no. This is backed up by the warranty card in both of my players that says it is not an international warranty.

I also have the E436 and the screen on the it is, as I expected it would be, vastly brighter and better than on the 728. But that's ok. The 728 screen is bigger and is still very nice. Too bad it does not support WMV - I can buy movies from Amazon and download them using Unbox directly to the E436 but no option for the 728.

And I don't think I can use Media Manager because it clearly says on the Sony website that MM does not handle DRM WMV files, which the Amazon files are. Even if you have Pro.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
The A720 screen s the worst of the sonys, first of all it has less pixels per inch (same resolution, bigger screen) so it doesnt look as detailed. second, colors arent that good.

If you want all EQ stuff, why dont you buy a S630? Its basically an E430 with all that shit on it. And yes, the cables work on all newer sonys
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...630-review.php
really? I found my a728 screen on parr with other sonys.. Well Thats just my opinion though

Old 12-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Still, all the Sony players are pretty solid, just the smaller 1's have a slightly better picture due to the fact they're all the same standard 320X240 resolution.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Actually they must have changed the tft panel in these things. I had a818 and the screen was far duller and less contrast, and not nearly as bright as my wife's E436, and it is the same exact size. The difference is stark. I still love the 728 though. There is a big difference in the SQ compared to the E436, especially when you use all the additional sound features. This is when comparing the same song with both units in hand, and swapping the headphones between the two - the 728 is far warmer and richer and fuller.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
Actually they must have changed the tft panel in these things. I had a818 and the screen was far duller and less contrast, and not nearly as bright as my wife's E436, and it is the same exact size. The difference is stark. I still love the 728 though. There is a big difference in the SQ compared to the E436, especially when you use all the additional sound features. This is when comparing the same song with both units in hand, and swapping the headphones between the two - the 728 is far warmer and richer and fuller.
Well its more expensive it should be

Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM

I have the A729 along with the A818, which I think the screen quality is the same as the E436. I noticed little difference between image quality between them. The A818 with it's 2-inch screen does look a bit sharper in some photos and videos, but in most cases, I don't see a difference. I also think the bigger 2.4-inch screen on the A729 makes a difference in seeing things more easily, obviously, so I don't think screen quality is an issue at all. And I love my silver A818 and won't give it up.