android
Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM

Default New Mozaic Won't Charge

I just got my new 4 GB Zen Mozaic today. This is the first MP3 player I've owned. It said to hook it up to the computer to charge it for at least 3 hours before the first use, so I let it charge for more than 4 hours. I noticed that the LED that indicates it's charging wasn't lighting up at all (it's supposed to blink while charging and stay on when it's done charging) and when I unplugged it, it wouldn't turn on. When I hooked it back up, my computer wasn't reading it. I even installed Creative Centrale and it also said the player wasn't connected. I tried hooking it to my brother's laptop and even tried using the USB to his Vision M and nothing is working. Is there anything else I can try before I have to send it back?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When you plugged the Mozaic into the computer, it should have turned it on and began charging. Did it not do this? If not and since you just bought it, I would just return for a replacement.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 PM

I tried it in the front USB port at first, but an hour ago, I plugged it into the back USB and still nothing. I'll contact Creative next. This isn't the first time I've had to deal with them. My brother's first Vision M wouldn't charge either and I ended up sending it back and they sent a new one. It took a long time for them to send the replacement, though.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A good rule I always recommend is to never plug anything you really value in a USB port on the front of the computer. I have seen it happen too many times where someone does, and it ruins their device. Many times, USB ports built into a case or front of the computer case are often connected improperly and not tested. The power pins are connected incorrectly and end up supplying current to the wrong pins to the device. You can easily end up with a fried device. Always use USB ports built into the motherboard of a computer (usually located in the back). You won't have this risk or issue with them.

With that said, it sound like you should maybe try returning it and asking for a replacement from the store you purchased it from. It may be a quicker swap. If not, then I would contact Creative for an RMA to return so they can replace.

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.
Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 AM

I always use my front USB ports and I've never had a problem with them. I've had this case for about 3 years (it's a custom built PC) and I plug my printer and Wacom tablet into the front all the time. I never knew there was any difference between the front and back USB ports.

I did an online RMA with Creative, but after I entered the SN and selected Pink as my color, when I got to the end of the RMA, where it gave me the address, it said the RMA is for a Zen Mozaic 4GB Black only, and since mine isn't black I'm worried that will screw up my RMA, so I'm going to try and see if I can return it to Amazon instead. Either way, I'll have to wait awhile since I'll have to ship it back and wait for my replacement.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyBoo View Post
I always use my front USB ports and I've never had a problem with them. I've had this case for about 3 years (it's a custom built PC) and I plug my printer and Wacom tablet into the front all the time. I never knew there was any difference between the front and back USB ports.
It's a generalized rule. Power can easily not be correct with the front ports. The USB ports on the back of the computer are integrated into the motherboard, where as the front case ports are connected by wires/connectors/pins. Custom built computers often have them connected incorrectly. It is easy to get the positive and negative power pins crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyBoo View Post
I did an online RMA with Creative, but after I entered the SN and selected Pink as my color, when I got to the end of the RMA, where it gave me the address, it said the RMA is for a Zen Mozaic 4GB Black only, and since mine isn't black I'm worried that will screw up my RMA, so I'm going to try and see if I can return it to Amazon instead. Either way, I'll have to wait awhile since I'll have to ship it back and wait for my replacement.
Yeah, Amazon is pretty good about returns. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 12-04-2008, 01:19 PM

I did an RMA with Amazon and they're sending me a new one. I have 30 days to send the other one back or I'll be charged for both, but that's no problem. Actually, I'm glad I checked with Amazon instead of dealing with Creative directly because I don't have to wait for them to get the broken player before they'll send the new one out.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, Amazon seems to be pretty good when dealing with returns/replacements. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 PM

I just wanted to update. I got my replacement player today and it works perfectly. I was so happy when I plugged it to the computer and I saw the Creative logo. I definitely like this player better than the V Plus. And the sound quality is just as good as my brother's Vision M.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, that was fast. Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know the return went. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ

Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM

I know the thread is a bit old, but I wanted to clarify a bit on the USB ports. The problem is with the motherboard manufacturers.

Let's say you have (which is typical) two front panel ports and a ten pin header that connects to the USB ports, four wires per port, eight wires per header.

Company A makes their header like this:

Row 1 - 1 2 3 4 NU
Row 2 - 1 2 3 4 NU

Company B makes their header like this:

Row 1 - 1 2 3 4 NU
Row 2 - NU 4 3 2 1

If you use matching USB adapters and mobos, you have no problems. If you buy a generic one (or one built into the case) - it's 50-50 on one of the ports being wired incorrectly, unless you take the time to read the mobo manual and verify the pin assignments and swap the terminals in the USB adapter/case plug and make sure they match.

Most people don't do that.