android
Old 12-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Heh, bold capitalized "beta".

I have no 3.5mm>RCA cable... have to wait for my neighbor to lend me one tomorrow.

Some people on iAudiophile said it works:

Quote:
LINE-OUT TO TV: Works like a charm! I put on a widesreen Japanese TV show with an .SRT subtitle file, plugged the cable into the O2 and the other end (video, left and right audio cables) into my Vizio HDTV, then switched the player to line-out mode. The video came up on the TV in perfect widescreen, The audio isn't true line-out - it's much like the headphone output. You can adjust the volume on both the player and the TV. The player's volume can be adjusted with the volume buttons on the side of the case while you're in TV mode. You'll see the volume indicator on the upper right-hand side of the TV screen. In order to scan through the video or to pause it, you need to tap the screen of the O2, and it turns off the line-out, and you have to scan through the video or pause it there. To continue playing, you have to switch it back to line-out mode. What this means is that when you're watching a video on your TV, that's all you can do - watch it. Anything like fast-forwarding, rewinding, pausing - you have to go back to the player to do it. It would be nice to have the player's screen on while the line-out is enabled, so you could navigate and not have to switch back.. But videos look nice enough!
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24120

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-07-2008, 01:57 PM

Enzo took the matter to the front page: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...-is-stable.php

Old 12-07-2008, 03:11 PM

I hope cowon understands english...

Old 12-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

is the firmware really BETA ?
Does it says "BETA" in the about screen of this player ?

if the firmware says "BETA", I don't understand the complaining at all.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Read the introduction to my first post in this thread. There is no difference between this "beta" firmware and the non-beta ones before it. They all have the same flaws.

Not that "beta" ever did actually mean something with Cowon firmwares. Several of the so-called "beta" firmwares for the D2 were more stable and useful than the following messed up "final" versions. Cowon even realized this and pulled the downloads for the "final" versions, but left the "betas" up on their server.

Fact is, they rushed the O2 to market with firmwares that other companies wouldn't even consider "alpha". They pulled the same stunt with the D2, but the O2 firmware is a lot worse than the D2 ever was.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM

So far I haven't really had any reason not to like my O2. It is definitely taking over the role between my D2s and my A3.

There may be some creases in the firmware, but so far they are not things that bug me.

The only thing I am a little annoyed about is the SD integration appears a little limited at first. But I think I have the player set now so it connects to the previously connected card on boot up if it's still in the player.

I haven't had video issues at all either, but then I don't have any high definition files at the moment.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 AM

I almost cried when I looked at the UI and the hardware buttons of the S9: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37273 (Yeah, it looks like an iPhone - so what. As long as it's not ugly and works.)

It looks like a device from a totally different company - or at least as if all the skilled people at Cowon worked on the S9, and the O2 was designed by interns.

At large companies like Microsoft I wouldn't wonder if one department doesn't know what the other ones actually do - but Cowon certainly isn't that big to justify these differences. There's just no continuity to their output...

Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 AM

I certainly hope they read the front page and this thread too, guess we’re in a wait and see mode :/

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-08-2008, 12:16 PM

Hmm, first time I visit these forums again in a while, simply because I don't need a new payer ; I've found the perfect deal with the D2 (finally, after 6 players lol)

Pretty sad their new player does this shit to cowon fans again. Reading your remarks/notes, it seems to me like there are a lot of flaws that probabely won't be (able to be) fixed by software upgrades. I fear even an eventual rockbox development probabely won't make this an excellent player or do I draw the wrong conclusions ? Hope the S9 does something decent.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
No virtual motion gestures like on the D2's file browser, and no looping lists either. O2's file browser is a disaster and extremely tedious to use.
Did I mention the O2 does have "virtual motion"? Of course it's in the place where it's the least useful... in the image viewer the O2 rotates photos when you draw clockwise or counterclockwise circles with your finger.

How hard is it to make the file browser (yes, that's the thing you'll be using the most) useful with swipe gestures? Sheesh...

Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 PM

I guess I'm just a simple man, but I love my O2. It plays every video that I have put on it and takes seconds to load and my AAC music files along with the artwork sounds and looks great. Unlike the q5w that previously owned, that had to use other software to play my music and took minutes to load all 6500 of them. I can however, agree on a few of your concerns, such as the lack of sd card integration.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:31 PM

dfkt,

This is just disheartening. I have been suffering & waiting for a replacement video/audio player since my Zen Vision W died & had hoped that the O2 could be that replacement... I'm at a loss of what player to get now.

The lack of SD integration is big to me as the thing I hate most about Flash based players is the lack of storage space, but it's clear that after going through 2 hard drives on the Vision W, I need to have a flash based player. Apparently my walking around with the player was just too much. The O2 at least gave me the ability to get to the original size of the Vision W at 64GB.

I really don't know what to do. All of this may be fixed in firmware, but I need playlists, I need to be able to have a playlist span the Internal Storage & SD card, not an either/or. Thanks for all the info dfkt, you've re-affirmed my wait & see approach, unfortunately it seems that I'll be without a player for a while to come...

~Tario70

Old 12-08-2008, 07:47 PM

That tick between tracks is a lot more obvious with my new headphones

That officially is the biggest problem with this player for me now. For the most part I really like it with all its quirks but that tick is obnoxious. It doesn't seem to happen when you select a new track to play while one is playing, but if you skip tracks or let the track your listening to end then it makes the noise. It is in the right channel only for me.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:37 AM

I have now three charge/discharge cycles on the O2's battery. It should be more or less "conditioned".

At half screen brightness and volume levels around ~10 I'm getting about 4 1/2 hours of video playback, which is quite a bit short of the advertised 8 hours.

Is it just mine, or is this the case with other O2's as well?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Have you been about to get TV out to work yet? I cant get it to work on mine, even with the latest 1.14 BETA firmware... =\
Borrowed a cable today, a good one even (came with my neighbor's Sony HDR-FX1 ). Sound works, no picture. Tried both modes, PAL and NTSC... nothing besides some grey stripes on black.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:10 PM

enmorphien,
what format is your music in, I have aac music files and I have never heard a tick on my O2.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:42 PM

MP3s, I suppose I'll try some other formats to see if it goes away. Not exactly ideal, I do hope this is fixed in the next firmware... it's the biggest problem I've got with the O2 right now.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 PM

I'm not sure what the issue is, my tv out works perfect. Also I haven't notice any clicks between tracks. I got mine from amazon.com don't know if that makes a difference. Also I find the touch screen to be very responsive and easy to use, and I have huge hands and good sized fingers.

I will try a battery check soon.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Battery Life Issue and etc

I can confirm that it does have its 8 hours of Battery life.

Had running bunch of random movies and videos all estimated to 10 hours length.

I have done test last sunday charged o2 to max and let it run on brightness 3 or 5 and lasted 9 hours 10 min

And to me this brightness settings is all you need any other brighter than that if you want to go blind .. might deplete battery life if you increase it.

like dfkt said earlier

Also another note .. dfkt .. do you still have your cowon 02 i read your comments about it and i guess you dont think the device can live up to you expectation..

But as a first Cowon user i am very pleased with this product it does what i need it to do i have no problems with it and alot of my friends and co workers seem to agree too ..

Sorry to here you were disapointed but im sure the things you need it for if you stil have it they will address those issues.

and x264 720p specific profile does work but has issues!

I still like my way better 1280 x 720 avi i just change container for x264 files in 720p .. no slow down perfect to me..

and to all disapointed with 02 .wait for the curve than.

have nice day

Old 12-10-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbreakableCode View Post
and x264 720p specific profile does work but has issues!
Does it work or does it have issues? Those are mutually exclusive...