android
Old 12-08-2008, 02:35 PM

Default How low can you go on video length?

Anyone know what the maximum length of a video is that you can put on the Fuze?

I know the e200 series was what, 10 minutes or something.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2008, 03:24 PM

How low you can go on length? If you mean how much runtime can a video have at most - I tried full length movies (2h) with no problems. Well, besides that annoying audio/video out of sync issue that increases with playtime (bug of the conversion software).

Old 12-08-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zickZackMann View Post
How low you can go on length? If you mean how much runtime can a video have at most - I tried full length movies (2h) with no problems. Well, besides that annoying audio/video out of sync issue that increases with playtime (bug of the conversion software).
Exactly. I can see how that could be understood more than one way. But you nailed it. I've been having issues getting movies onto the Fuze. I've even converted to other formats to let the SMC try again and it still bombs. Makes no sense at all. I even tried copying the movie in a format that is to work directly to the Fuze and it won't play.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM

With the current firmware, the Fuze will only accept videos that have been created with the SMC. Doesn't it convert at all, or does it hang somewhere during the process? Did you try to convert high definition material? Cause, as far as I know, HD material isn't supported.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 PM

I understand the current f/w is .15, correct?

When I try to convert using SMC I often get an error but I get no details as to what the error is. No details. The videos I have are mostly very short and not HD material.

Example: tried to convert and MPEG-1 and it failed. A window pops up and says Finished 0, Unfinished 1, Reason: none given. The message pops up immediately after hitting Convert.

Here's the kicker when converting to the e270 it works fine. When converting to the Fuze mostly they fail.

Last edited by SBMongoos; 12-09-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM

Well, thats strange, should work for both devices. The only advice I can give you, is to convert the movies to an MPEG4 format at first, like XviD/DivX for example. None of the movies I threw at the SMC that were in this format (and not HD) failed to convert.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:13 AM

What do you recommend as a quality video format converter?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 AM

I am using XMedia Recode. Its free and you can convert almost anything (maybe even anything) into all kinds of formats. Its very flexible too. Give it a try .

Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Well, thats strange, should work for both devices. The only advice I can give you, is to convert the movies to an MPEG4 format at first, like XviD/DivX for example. None of the movies I threw at the SMC that were in this format (and not HD) failed to convert.
Not sure I'm clear on what you mean by "convert the movies to an MPEG4 format at first, like XviD/DivX for example".

I get converting to MPEG4 format but what's the reference to Xvid/DivX? Not up on Video lingo.

Thanks

Loos like SMC handles more formats. I hope they get this software fixed or replaced. This used to be ArcSoft and now InterVideo.

Last edited by SBMongoos; 12-10-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM

XviD and DivX are both codecs that follow the MPEG4 standard, as there is no MPEG4 codec itself, its just a blueprint for the implementing codecs (or the like - I'm not very deep into this topic either).

Both codecs should work with the SMC - so you shouldn't worry about which one to pick too much. Just use a high bitrate for the video/audio, so the quality isn't reduced (visibly) from the conversion and feed the SMC with the new files.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 AM

Okay, so it's in the setup of Xmedia. I should select Format as MP4, then Video Codec as XviD correct? What about the audio track, AAC or MP3? I assume there is not Audio Track 2 to concern myself with. The bitrate for the video I'm attempting pulls up at 2000. I thought the Fuze could only handle about 667 or something odd. So I assume I need to adjust this way down, correct?

I have other questions about setting up the process for conversion with this app. If I click help in the program it takes me to their web site which is in German.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:18 PM

Looks like the current version of SMC is very inconsistent. Also doesn't look like the older versions (from ArcSoft) will work with the Fuze. I'm finding that some videos don't convert over to the e270 either. I'm positive I did some of these the other day.

I'm going off of the extensions (mpg, wmv, etc). Maybe this is a mistake on my part as the extension doesn't dictate the codec used so maybe some mpg can get converted and some cannot?

Confused...

Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM

Basically, you want to bring the video into an MPEG4 format the way, it doesn't loose much of its quality - at this step, you don't care about what bitrates the Fuze can handle, cause its the job of the SMC to do this. To achieve a quality near the original, you should use a bitrate that is very high. I would choose XviD and MP3 codecs, with a XviD bitrate of 4000 (cbr, constant bitrate - to speed up the conversion process) and for the MP3 a bitrate of 320 cbr. Of course, these bitrates are ridiculously high, but it doesn't really matter, cause its only a temporary file and this should speed up the process.

With the language - yeah, I think its coded by one of my countrymates and it seems there is no english documentation avaiable. Try to select format: AVI and codecs XviD and MP3. In the other tabs you should enter the bitrates and choose CBR method. I think that should be all you need to modify. Then hit "add job" and "encode".

Hope that helps .

Old 12-11-2008, 10:22 AM

I called Sandisk tech support yesterday. The guy left me on hold to long so I hung up but he dropped a message in my eBox:

You can try this software to convert your videos instead of using the sansa media converter

Here's the link.
http://www.**************************/p...or_video_free/

Use this recomemnded settings for the Fuze.

AVI, 224x176 resolution, with Xvid or Divx5 codec, 134kbps, 20fps
mp3, 128kbps, 2 channels, 44100khz

Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Hmm, as far as I know other software doesn't work - but give it a try. If it does, than its a really cool thing.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Hmm, as far as I know other software doesn't work - but give it a try. If it does, than its a really cool thing.
I assume by "work" you mean that after it's converted that it places it on the Fuze?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 AM

I mean, that it will play on the Fuze - its quite sure, that the program won't load the vid automatically onto the Fuze. At least if you don't specify the output folder as the video folder on the Fuze.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I mean, that it will play on the Fuze - its quite sure, that the program won't load the vid automatically onto the Fuze. At least if you don't specify the output folder as the video folder on the Fuze.
Of course (auto load onto Fuze). Wanted to be clear.

As for the app you suggested. I converted an 1:39 minute video then used SMC and it finished the job. I have not watched the video accept for a few minutes and to skip forward several times. Appears okay. Timing with video/audio may be off a tiny bit.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBMongoos View Post
Timing with video/audio may be off a tiny bit.
Yeah, this is a really annoying problem caused by SMC. Full length movies are getting out of sync very badly as the end comes closer.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:03 PM

I just tried the program and settings the support guy has given you and the Fuze failed to play the resulting video. Guess, the support doesn't know itself, that only SMC generated videos will play.