android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 PM

Default HELP zen m wont connect NO solution found

Hey i have searched and searched the forum and cannot find an ans that will work for my 30gb ZVM!!!! It will not connect to the computer, it lights up (powers on) when i plug it in but nothing pulls up in the device manager, doesnt charge creative software doesnt see it NOTHING! I had battery issues and thought that was the problem so I replaced the battery but still no luck. Any suggestions? I have tried everything but reloading firmware from recovery screen because i am afraid it wont work seeing how the comp doesnt see it! I am running XP tried other computers still no luck. cord works fine to charge from wall just not computer.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 AM

Welcome to abi!!!

So it lights up and powers on when plugged into the computer. Does it go to the docked screen? Or does it go back to the normal screen?
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 12-12-2008, 06:27 AM

normal screen

Old 12-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apiske148 View Post
It will not connect to the computer, it lights up (powers on) when i plug it in but nothing pulls up in the device manager, doesnt charge creative software doesnt see it NOTHING!
Yes, welcome apiske148. Keep in mind, until the ZVM is detected by the Operating System and have its driver load in Device Manager, it will not be seen by Windows or any software.

Quote:
cord works fine to charge from wall just not computer.
I would still try another USB cable. Power can easily work on a USB cable, but the data pairs may not. I would also try (while plugged in) moving the sync adapter around to see if you can induce any action of detection on the computer. Perhaps the sync adapter isn't working correctly or there are some bent pins.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 PM

THANK YOU bobbyrs tried a new usb cable and sure enough it worked! thanks for the help

Old 12-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
THANK YOU bobbyrs tried a new usb cable and sure enough it worked! thanks for the help
No problem. You are welcome. Now get back to enjoying your ZVM.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-25-2008, 09:24 AM

ok so that was not so simple problem is right back only worked a day or so went out of town and still not working when plugged in to AC power or to USB the blue light blinks slowly and thats it no screen no connection to computer no nothing

Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Perhaps a sync adapter issue.... or even a battery issue. Can you try another cable again just to verify? Do you know of anyone with another sync adapter you can try?

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 AM

Could be the operating system. Windows has a way of bugging out sometimes, it's possible that the driver may have become broken, and doesnt load. Theres actually many different reasons for this too happen. I'd say try it out on another computer, if it comes up youve got a software/OS problem, if not then youve got some kind of a hard ware problem. You may want to pick up a new cable, and if the problem still persists, the docking bay on your zen may be compromised, and you may need a new mobo.
DHD NTX-2136 AMP
2 12" American Pros, In a Bandpass box

Old 01-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It doesn't even work on an AC adapter, so I don't beilive it is an OS issue. If the Zen isn't even powered on, Windows won't see it to begin with.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
It doesn't even work on an AC adapter, so I don't beilive it is an OS issue. If the Zen isn't even powered on, Windows won't see it to begin with.
It does work on AC, read the last sentence

Quote:
cord works fine to charge from wall just not computer.
DHD NTX-2136 AMP

Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ryan, please take into consideration what the OP is posting in all posts and not just the first post:

Quote:
still not working when plugged in to AC power

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM

Oh yeah, right. Didnt see that. How could it have changed from the time he made the post too when he made that one? If it worked at the time of the post, what happened that made the AC charger not work? If the AC charger doesnt work, then youve got a motherboard malfunction of some type.

And another thing, you keep saying "The OP" whats an OP?
DHD NTX-2136 AMP

Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not sure exactly until we hear back from them. He specifically mentions "cord" and not charger, so maybe he is using the same USB cable with a power adapter as well, idk.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Not sure exactly until we hear back from them. He specifically mentions "cord" and not charger, so maybe he is using the same USB cable with a power adapter as well, idk.
The USB cord coupled with a power adapter is an charger. There would be no difference in power flow between the two. The reason USB is so slow from the computer to charge, is because its only got a small amount of current that it takes from the computer. When plugged into a power supply it jumps to the right voltage, which would be around 4.5 - 5 volts of DC power.
DHD NTX-2136 AMP

Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan92394 View Post
The USB cord coupled with a power adapter is an charger. There would be no difference in power flow between the two.
There can be a huge difference. Many of those adapters are soley ment just to provide power and not specially for charging. Many lack the proper protection and regulation an actual charger would provide.

Quote:
The reason USB is so slow from the computer to charge, is because its only got a small amount of current that it takes from the computer. When plugged into a power supply it jumps to the right voltage, which would be around 4.5 - 5 volts of DC power.
From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
Per the USB specs:
USB 1.1 = Minimum supply voltage is 4.4v
USB 2.0 = Minimum supply voltage is 4.75v
Both maximum supply voltages are 5.25v and a current of 500mA.

Before the USB bus interface can begin charging a device (Zen), it must return a device identifier to the hub driver (or device driver). Once the hub driver has the returned information from the device (like power requirements, supported transfer speeds, etc.), it can then begin charging the device based on those retuned values. This process is called Enumeration. Until enumeration has completed, it may not draw more than 100mA from the bus. Once enumeration has completed, it can then begin drawing up to the 500mA allowed by the USB bus.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-05-2009, 03:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The USB cord coupled with a power adapter is an charger. There would be no difference in power flow between the two. The reason USB is so slow from the computer to charge, is because its only got a small amount of current that it takes from the computer. When plugged into a power supply it jumps to the right voltage, which would be around 4.5 - 5 volts of DC power.
Whoa! Dear God, I don't like where this is going!

I really do hope OP comes back and explains the current problem a little better, and that he's not trying to use a USB charger on that thing!

From the sound of things in his last post, it could be nothing more than the battery had just gone dead and needed to be charged. The slow-flashing blue light backs up my suspicion.

And by the way: OP means Original Poster, or Originating Poster (as in, the one who created this thread).

And, Bobby: I believe USB1.1 devices are limited to 100mA power draw. USB2.0 devices can request and receive the full 500mA.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
And another thing, you keep saying "The OP" whats an OP?
OP = Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
I really do hope OP comes back and explains the current problem a little better, and that he's not trying to use a USB charger on that thing!
I hope so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
And, Bobby: I believe USB1.1 devices are limited to 100mA power draw. USB2.0 devices can request and receive the full 500mA.
A low power unit load is defined per 100mA up to 5 unit loads equaling 500mA. The full 500mA supply current is also available for one device if connected, provided it asked for this in its descriptor (high power device/port).

USB 1.1 Spec, Page 142

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 01-05-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM

ZEN CHICK!!!! You're back YAY!

no offense bobby

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werezenwolf View Post
no offense bobby
Why would I take offense? I'm happy to see she's back.

Zen FAQ