android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze > Sansa Fuze Firmware

Old 05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLACtastic View Post
Speaking as someone who now uses a Rockboxed Fuze v2 - the most important thing for me iscuesheet support. But I read on another forum somone said Sansdisk do not wish to permit cuesheet support because this would allow gapless playback and that would be a threat to the CD industry (not sure of why, or what Sansdisk's role is in that industry, but it's what I read - it may have been unfounded).
That's a ridiculous theory, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLACtastic View Post
But I'm guessing cuesheet support will probably never happen as they would have given it to us by now if they could - but in an ideal world I would love it.

Also APE and WV support would be great (Rockbox already has it). Incidentally, I'm finding the Rockbox to sound worse than the native Sansa firmware - it's less smooth and more harsh, even with dither turned on. So if Sansdisk would change their stance on allowing cuesheet support, I'm sure the native firmware would be more popular than Rockbox.
You are the first person that I have ever heard say that Rockbox sounds worse. From what I have read, it should sound the same, unless you use the EQ effects, which should work better than in the OF.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-28-2010, 04:12 PM

Is it possible to have a feature that let's you switch to mono output? It would be useful in situations where you can only have one ear bud in, and this way you won't have to loose a channel.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:04 PM

i just got a 4 gig Fuze,i'd like to see them add a function to customize the wallpaper with a pic of your own(please tell me if you can do this already somehow),not just the wallpaper color choices they give you,it isn't something super important,just cool to have on the device.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 PM

gapless playback. btw, is there gonna be a new FW? since this model is like 2 years old.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

xan K: doubtfull sandisk/sansa will bother adding gapless or any new firmware features to the fuze, if you want that stuff you need to rockbox your player, From what I have seen on the sansa forums sandisk/sansa really dont consider firmware to be a top priority, if it works for slotradio and dosnt cost them alot of sales why bother fixing/updating it ?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 PM

I'd still like a text, pdf, etc. reader for the fuze or the view. I know it's small, but I'd really like it and it would be one more actual feature as opposed to tweeks of existing features. I like watching the occasional vid/cartoon, so any improvement in loading would be appreciated also.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 PM

How about a full-blown album scroll, with BIG album art. Seriously though, does Sandisk actually even read this stuff?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Who cares? Compared to Rockbox, the Sansa firmware is ludicrous: clumsy interface, few features, poor functionality, no gapless play, playlists that cannot be edited in the player and that are not always recognised, bookmarks that are not reliable, poor handling of podcasts, etc. you name it.
With Rockbox, on the other hand, it is a fantastic little player. I cannot imagine using it without it anymore.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Agreed with Zeb - Fuze FW can stay in limbo as far as I am concerned. Now that I have discovered the joys of Rockbox, I will never go back to the OF. Waiting eagerly for full USB Fuze v2 support and I am done [for now]...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned

same, tho i dont agree the OF is that back, i do feel that rockbox is just alot better for power users, OF is great for noobs and ipod type users who need things SIMPLE.

I still dont get peoples hardon over gapless, if you really want gapless JOIN THE F'ING TRACKS, its not that hard, and there are hundreds of FREE apps that will join the files for you be it flac, mp3, ogg, wma, aac whatever, if you truely want/need gapless then get true gapless.....dont complain that the player lacks it or that its not "true gapless"

Old 07-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
Who cares? Compared to Rockbox, the Sansa firmware is ludicrous: clumsy interface, few features, poor functionality, no gapless play, playlists that cannot be edited in the player and that are not always recognised, bookmarks that are not reliable, poor handling of podcasts, etc. you name it.
With Rockbox, on the other hand, it is a fantastic little player. I cannot imagine using it without it anymore.
What's wrong with how they handle podcasts?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
What's wrong with how they handle podcasts?
I don't remember exactly, since I have not used the original firmare for ages, but to be considered a Podcats, the id3 Genre tag has to be called "Podcast" or the file has to be in the Podcast folder. And in that case there is no way to bookmark a file or to use it in a playlist.

Others have already reported such difficulties:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=44194
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=33805
http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...thread.id=6681

Playlists and individual file bookmarking are in my opinion essential for mp3 player and Rockbox implements them very efficiently. The original firmware strongly lacks in this area (in particular, no bookmarking for individual files, only the last one played).

Last edited by zeb; 08-03-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Oh, the joys of Rockbox...I'd like to know whether it makes these "dumb" players more intelligent, like, say, enable renaming, copying or moving files without relying on a PC?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyhed View Post
Oh, the joys of Rockbox...I'd like to know whether it makes these "dumb" players more intelligent, like, say, enable renaming, copying or moving files without relying on a PC?
It does.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
It does.
Great!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Well, for a player in MSC mode, this makes sense, since it behaves like a normal computer filesystem.

But that's not the point. The original firmware is not even capable of editing playlists, adding podcasts in playlists or bookmarking individual files. Basic handling of "special" files like audiobooks or podcasts is missing in the original firmware, and that is a serious flaw. Being simple does not mean essential functions should be missing or limited. Take an example with the now defunct Rio devices: the Karma had many functions, but still was not complicated at all. It was just well designed.

Rockbox is a bit more complicated, there is a learning curve, but at least it greatly enhances the functionality of the Fuze.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yes, absolutely Rockbox does this
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 AM

I got Rockbox onto my Fuze. I'm afraid I spoke too soon-There's no way I can copy or move or rename my files. Can anyone tell me how? My Fuze is still as dumb as ever-still needs a PC for these activities.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I got Rockbox onto my Fuze. I'm afraid I spoke too soon-There's no way I can copy or move or rename my files. Can anyone tell me how? My Fuze is still as dumb as ever-still needs a PC for these activities.
I don't want to be rude, but the documentation is great and you should start there. There is a learning curve with Rockbox, because many buttons carry various functions depending on the way they are pressed. And the layout is very different from the original firmware.

Anyway, you can do these functions. In the file manager, select the file you want and press for ~1s the home button. You'll get a menu to do what you want. In Rockbox, a long-pressing on the home button makes a context-specific function menu appear (a little like a right-click on most Desktop managers).

Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
I don't want to be rude, but the documentation is great and you should start there. There is a learning curve with Rockbox, because many buttons carry various functions depending on the way they are pressed. And the layout is very different from the original firmware.

Anyway, you can do these functions. In the file manager, select the file you want and press for ~1s the home button. You'll get a menu to do what you want. In Rockbox, a long-pressing on the home button makes a context-specific function menu appear (a little like a right-click on most Desktop managers).
So what you're saying, is rtfm-068.gif