android
Old 12-16-2008, 12:17 PM

Default Zen freezes when connected to computer

I've had my Zen since September, and other than the occasional freeze, I've had very few problems.

Has been a couple weeks since I synched, but I'm going on a business trip tomorrow, so have been trying to put a couple more audiobooks on my Zen. But it won't let me.

When I plug in the synch cable, the zen comes on, and switches to "connected" screen. Then the screen dims, and a minute or so later the screen goes blank, similar to if I had engaged the lock. The power light stays on (solid), but any software that was talking to it says it's no longer connected. When I unplug the cable it stays frozen, and have to reset with paper clip.

Problem does not seem to be related to a specific transfer application as this will happen before I even open an application.

When not connected to computer it seems to work fine.

Has anyone experienced similar difficulties?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Run a cleanup and try it. If that doesn't work, reformat.

Every now and then mine crashes on sync, especially when there are a lot of files to sync.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Then the screen dims, and a minute or so later the screen goes blank, similar to if I had engaged the lock. The power light stays on (solid), but any software that was talking to it says it's no longer connected. When I unplug the cable it stays frozen, and have to reset with paper clip.
Sounded fine up until this part.

Check Device Manager to make sure that the driver is loading without error:

1. Click Start, (Settings), Control Panel, System, Hardware, and then Device Manager.
2. The MTP player should be listed under Windows Portable Devices.

If there is an error or a yellow exclamation mark next to the device, the driver is not being installed properly.

Make sure you have disabled Power Management on all USB Root Hubs under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager:

- Right click and select Properties for each USB Root Hub and then select the Power Management Tab.

- Make sure the box is unchecked for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Verify that the other players are getting the full 500mA for charging or not:

Device Manager -> USB Root Hub

Open each USB Root Hub entry and view the Power Tab for the player It should list how much power is being used for the device. Any of them also getting the full 500mA?

Keep in mind a Format will erase all files.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-17-2008, 08:30 AM

Smile Software conflict after all

Thanks for your responses, but I believe I have figured this one out.

Turned out to be a software conflict after all. The two applications that I was using were Zencast organizer and Audible Manager. Although I had "closed" Zencast Organizer, it was still running in the system tray, and when I opened Audible manager it started to load the current Zen contents and the Zen froze. Last night I made sure Zencast organizer was completely closed before I opened audible manager, and everything worked fine.

My theory is that having two applications both trying to access the Zen simultaneously is what made it freeze.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Turned out to be a software conflict after all. The two applications that I was using were Zencast organizer and Audible Manager. Although I had "closed" Zencast Organizer, it was still running in the system tray, and when I opened Audible manager it started to load the current Zen contents and the Zen froze. Last night I made sure Zencast organizer was completely closed before I opened audible manager, and everything worked fine.
Ahh, good catch.

Quote:
My theory is that having two applications both trying to access the Zen simultaneously is what made it freeze.
Good theory. Thanks for updating the thread.

Zen FAQ