android
Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 PM

Default Best replacement after my Pilot dies

Thinking ahead...
What would be the best replacement for my Pilot after it kicks the bucket?
Would like:
1 - To use my 16GB SD card
2 - Ability to play videos made for the Pilot
3 - Same size or larger screen

Just wondering...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM

I have thought about that also. I don't know of another that has the ability to use memory cards. I was kind-of interested in the Samsung P3 that is supposed to be announced in January. Up to 32GB, touch screen, bluetooth.

Of couse, should the rumors about new Insignia models be true.....

Alas, I'm waiting at least until January's Consumer Electronics Show to see what the new models will be like.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 PM

I must say I have a real love/hate relationship with touchscreens. Very cool, but I hate getting finger prints all over the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamccart View Post
I have thought about that also. I don't know of another that has the ability to use memory cards. I was kind-of interested in the Samsung P3 that is supposed to be announced in January. Up to 32GB, touch screen, bluetooth.

Of couse, should the rumors about new Insignia models be true.....

Alas, I'm waiting at least until January's Consumer Electronics Show to see what the new models will be like.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Tough question. Before I bought my Pilot I was looking for a Sansa. Once I saw the feature set for the Pilot I completely forgot about Sansa. The Pilot is certainly feature rich. The ability to use a standard-sized SD card was a big selling point. But so was video out, 2nd headphone jack, screen size, and Audible capability, and I almost forgot the FM tuner with RDS. I was fortunate that my Pilot has been of good quality. The only downside for me was a bit of a struggle to find a video conversion tool I was happy with.

I expect to use my Pilot for quite some time if it holds up. If I was looking for a replacement I would probably hope that Insignia comes out with new models. Hard to believe they won't. I haven't kept up with the Sansa line of players, but I might take a look at what they had to offer.

Dana

Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 AM

I'm starting to look at D2's again, but I don't like the size and the touch screenies hehe.

I might buy another Pilot to play with, but as it stands right now my Pilot only is an audio player and no screen.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 PM

I like the screen size for album art and other info. I almost never play videos, use video output, second headphone or FM radio. But I like having them. Just in case. I love bluetooth. I'm always getting tangled in headphone cables. WiFi would be super. I would like an internal microphone or at least a microphone input for (voice) recording.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaBath View Post
I like the screen size for album art and other info. I almost never play videos, use video output, second headphone or FM radio. But I like having them. Just in case. I love bluetooth. I'm always getting tangled in headphone cables. WiFi would be super. I would like an internal microphone or at least a microphone input for (voice) recording.
I agree, Pilot is more than great, just don't like the fact that there are firmware bugs.

Wifi would be awesome too, along with a built in mic. Oh FYI the player does support mic recording, you need a mic and go into the recording menu (red one).

Old 12-18-2008, 05:10 PM

jamccart,
Did you see somewhere that a new Pilot "might" be on the books and possibly coming out? I think if they came out with a new version, with account for the "minor" problems tweaked to work or be more user friendly to modify, I think then that thats the player for me. Could go with an IPod.....Hahahahaha just kidding. Wife has one. Enough said. Before I got mine I used hers for a while. Hated it. My Pilot; love. I dont watch videos on a small screen like that. If I want to watch a video of "something" I will put on my monitor / TV. Yea I know, call me old school!! Wifi I would like too!! Okay, whos turn to add it to the list!!?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 PM

There was a mysterious addition of Insignia MP3 player to the BBY web site a couple months ago. They were there for a week or so, then vanished.

I'm not sure BBY will revamp the Insignia line. They announced they will cut back on capital expenditures -- not sure if the private-label Insignia brand will be one of the cutbacks. My gut feel is that, if nothing is announced in January, the line will be dead. Not dissimilar to the former vprMatrix line of computers (vprMatrix was the pre-cursor to Insignia).

Personally, I bought a backup Pilot while they were on clearance. I love the bluetooth. Wirelessly connect in the office, walk to the car and it connects right away, walk into the house and it connects there. That is the one feature I would look for in any successor.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 PM

Within the price range and capacities of a Pilot:

Sansa View 16GB
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188561248346

Creative Labs - Zen 4GB Portable Multimedia Player
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1211587312779

Sony Walkman 8GB Video Player
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1216423923491

Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 AM

Unfortunately, afaict the above players all lack bluetooth which is a deal killer for me. My car is set up to recognize the pilot and I use a pair of bluetooth headphones when working out. No wires...it would be hard for me to go back to wired headphones/car connections.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:33 PM

Default Samsung Bluetooth Touch Screen Player

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...d=YP-P2JCB/XAA

Was flipping thru the Friday Fry's ad and saw mention of a Samsung player with Bluetooth. It has 8GB memory, Bluetooth, touch screen, plays video. Its listed at Fry's for 149$ US (paid 170$ US for my Pilot brand-new!!)Check the link. My screen has gone mostly black and the ol' girl is starting to have memory issues as well.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Couple of quibbles with the P2: #1 - No SD or flash card slot, #2 - Unlike pilot, equalizer has no effect on bluetooth audio output, #3 - No video out connection. Plus, even at $150, the price is too high considering you can still get sealed Pilots on ebay for around $50. It's unfortunate, but there doesn't really seem to be anything out there that can touch the pilot features wise, even taking into account Pilot's generally inferior build quality, lack of firmware support, and Insignia's dubious future. That's why I bough myself a backup Pilot while they were still on clearance. I'm really going to miss my Pilot(s) once they finally die off which hopefully won't be for another couple of years.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
Couple of quibbles with the P2: #1 - No SD or flash card slot, #2 - Unlike pilot, equalizer has no effect on bluetooth audio output, #3 - No video out connection. Plus, even at $150, the price is too high considering you can still get sealed Pilots on ebay for around $50. It's unfortunate, but there doesn't really seem to be anything out there that can touch the pilot features wise, even taking into account Pilot's generally inferior build quality, lack of firmware support, and Insignia's dubious future. That's why I bough myself a backup Pilot while they were still on clearance. I'm really going to miss my Pilot(s) once they finally die off which hopefully won't be for another couple of years.
Seriously man, I've been spending days searching for a new MP3 player that would be like the Pilot!!! I'm about to buy a chinese knockoff to see if it's any good!

BTW take a look at this player, it has BT: http://review.zdnet.com/product/port...h-8gb/32815625

EDIT:Alright all I really in another player is:
MSC File Support
Mini USB
SDHC card slot or 16GB of space

Last edited by covertrussian; 12-20-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm going to get a d2 for my christmas present to myself. It has pretty much everything the pilot has except bluetooth

Old 12-21-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korn_thoughtless6 View Post
I'm going to get a d2 for my christmas present to myself. It has pretty much everything the pilot has except bluetooth
Yep but it's touch screen, and that will kill me while driving

Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 AM

Default FM steps in pilot

I' m sorry for bothering this forum with asktin for features of the pilot. But due to the fact that this thread is the most active I try my luck.
I'm from germany and considering buying an pilot.

But can anybody tell me in which steps the pilot is changing the frequency in manual mode. In Germany the steps are 0.1 MHz.

Thank you very much and sorry again.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 AM

Incidently how long have you had your Pilot? This speaks to the quality of the maker. What makes you think its going dead? Also speaks to Pilot's quality. Why have you not considered an update from the same maker?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:56 AM

Wolfgang,
The Pilot's FM changes frequency in 0.1 MHz steps. You should be fine.

jbc,
Not sure about the others, but I have had my Pilot for a year and a half. It is in use for probably 4 hours per day, always using bluetooth, which drains the battery much quicker (3 hours tops vs. 12-15 for line connection).

I think most of us would LOVE to have an update from the same maker. Unfortunately, Best Buy has clearanced their Pilot line and currently has only one model listed -- a cheap 2gb, non-bluetooth. There was a sighting of a new Insignia model on the BBY website a month or so ago, but it's since been taken down. Not sure if we'll ever see another Insignia model.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM

Yep it looks like the Pilot has been abandoned. I still might fix up my Pilot and give it to my wife, but I've been searching for a new player for myself. Looks like the Cowon D2 is the winner.