android
Old 12-19-2008, 04:47 PM

Exclamation Frozen after firmware upgrade

Yesterday I decided to update the firmware for my Zen Vision: M 30 GB. It seemed to go okay until it got to the reboot part of the installation. The installation program and my player stayed there for ~half an hour. I closed the window, unplugged my player (huge mistake?). My player is now frozen on the Zen logo at startup, even after I reset it. My computer no longer recognizes my player. When I try to go to recovery mode, it goes to the recovery screen, but I can't move to or select any of the options (it would probably make this much much easier if only I could select even one of the options!). Is it dead?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome sadako007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadako007 View Post
My player is now frozen on the Zen logo at startup, even after I reset it.
Yeah a corrupt firmware load will cause it to freeze on the Zen logo screen. During the Zen logo screen, this is when the firmware is supposed to be loading.

Quote:
My computer no longer recognizes my player.
The ZVM should be recognized correctly regardless if firmware is installed or not. However, make sure it is booted into Recovery Mode in order for it to be detected correctly.

Quote:
When I try to go to recovery mode, it goes to the recovery screen, but I can't move to or select any of the options (it would probably make this much much easier if only I could select even one of the options!). Is it dead?
That's not a good sign.... it could be indication of a corrupt ROM chip that the firmware does write too during the firmware upgrade. The ROM chip is where the Recovery Mode is stored. The firmware is stored on the hard drive. At this point, what I would do is open up the ZVM and disconnect the hard drive. Then boot into Recovery Mode and see if the controls work properly.

These should help:
Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is the hard drive replacement thread.
Here is the new tested hard drive swap thread.
Here is the hard drive connector type thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-20-2008, 02:49 AM

Wow, thanks for all the helpful links! I'm no good at this stuff. I have a couple questions before I attempt to take apart my ZVM though. Probably not a good idea to take it apart when it's fully charged (it can't turn off because it just freezes there after I charge it). So is it okay to take it apart, take off the harddrive, put it back together, charge it, and then attempt to put it on recovery mode? And if that's successful, do I just put the harddrive back into the ZVM and see if it works properly?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Probably not a good idea to take it apart when it's fully charged (it can't turn off because it just freezes there after I charge it).
You can always disconnect the battery when you have it open.

Quote:
So is it okay to take it apart, take off the harddrive, put it back together, charge it, and then attempt to put it on recovery mode? And if that's successful, do I just put the harddrive back into the ZVM and see if it works properly?
Yup, sounds like a plan.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM

Took out the hard drive. It's doing the same thing (freezes at the Zen logo, freezes at recovery mode). Any other possible ways to save my ZVM?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, the ZVM freezing in the same spot during boot and locking up in recovery mode is not good. It sounds like a corrupt ROM chip (which is also where the Recovery Mode is stored and executed from). Unfortunately, in order to correct, a replacement mainboard would be needed.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 PM

How much would that cost? Would it be easier just to get a new player? I wish Creative still made the ZVM... I've been looking around and nothing seems to compare . I can't believe I messed up my ZVM w/something as simple as a firmware update.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well you can either buy a as-is ZVM off of eBay and use it for parts (swap the mainboard) or you can do a Google seach for "zen parts" or "zen repair" and buy the mainboard by itself to replace. It is up to you if you want to do the work or buy another. Creative does often have refurb ZVM's on their site for sale at a great cost. So that may be something else worth considering. Don't feel bad about it. I've seen where corrupting the ROM by upgrading the firmware many times, so you aren't alone.

Zen FAQ