android
Old 11-01-2006, 03:31 AM

Default IAudio X5V firmware

Does anyone know if firmware 2.10 works with the X5V (V=without radio)?
It doesn't seem to work for me. I'm stuck on 2.09 since I bought it a year ago.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 AM

2.09 seems to be the newest for the X5V: http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard...bmenu=download

There's not much difference between 2.09 and 2.10-final anyways (2.11b would give you PlaysForSh*t support).
But you can always try Rockbox...

Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
But you can always try Rockbox...
I think I am going to wait until they optimize the battery. I ain't too fond of losing so much power with the Rockbox.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:19 AM

I'm now running Rockbox on my X5 & have no battery issues.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:13 AM

Yeah, in the meantime Rockbox actually gives longer battery life while playing MP3 or OGG Vorbis.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, in the meantime Rockbox actually gives longer battery life while playing MP3 or OGG Vorbis.
Cool. Now I have to consider if I want to mess around with Rockbox with my player still under warranty. Some have said it voids Iaudio manufactures warranty.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nud3EskimoNinja
Cool. Now I have to consider if I want to mess around with Rockbox with my player still under warranty. Some have said it voids Iaudio manufactures warranty.
Noone's really sure... on iaudiophile.net they came to the conclusion that it might or might not void your warranty...

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11601

Anyways, I never had a single problem related to dual-booting Rockbox on my X5 - and I upgrade Rockbox every week, or so.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Anyways, I never had a single problem related to dual-booting Rockbox on my X5 - and I upgrade Rockbox every week, or so.
Uh...not familiar with firmware jargon.....what is to dual boot?

Old 11-07-2006, 07:55 AM

It's a bit like having 2 operating systems on a computer & being able to boot to either, but not both at the same time.

Installing dual boot on the X5 means that you are not zapping the OE firmware & can still use it if you choose. To load Rockbox, it's just a quick press of the power on, for the OE it's a long press. So you could try Rockbox to see if you like it without zapping your OE firmware.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit
It's a bit like having 2 operating systems on a computer & being able to boot to either, but not both at the same time.

Installing dual boot on the X5 means that you are not zapping the OE firmware & can still use it if you choose. To load Rockbox, it's just a quick press of the power on, for the OE it's a long press. So you could try Rockbox to see if you like it without zapping your OE firmware.
That's kinda what I figured. Does the Rockbox "borrow" certain things from the original firmware or are they completely seperate?

Old 11-07-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nud3EskimoNinja
That's kinda what I figured. Does the Rockbox "borrow" certain things from the original firmware or are they completely seperate?
No, they're completely separate. Only the bootloader is modified to chose between both. It's like having Windows and Linux on one PC - at startup you chose which one to boot into, then only one is running and there's nothing shared between both.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
there's nothing shared between both.
Apart from they can both access the music & photos.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:43 PM

What? You can have music and photos on the X5? I only bought it to play around with the firmware...

Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 AM

Well looks like there was a flaw in my instore guaratee and instead of getting to choose from any player i want for my defuct X5V I got a brand new X5V instead. However I'm not dissappointed. I still think the X5 is one of the best players out there and this time it's going to be better cuz I'm going to load Rockbox on it.

Any tips of do's and don'ts for a newbie when it applies to Rockbox?

Old 11-21-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Any tips of do's and don'ts for a newbie when it applies to Rockbox?
Not really... nothing has gone wrong with Rockbox on an X5, AFAIK - noone has bricked the player as of yet.

If you want to remove it from the player again, just delete all the Rockbox files via the PC, and the X5 will boot again with the original firmware.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:52 PM

I'm now hooked up to Rockbox. It's nice, a bit of a learning curve. However one problem is can't seem to figure out is the themes.
I've downloaded some, unzipped them and put the files in their respective folders. Every thing shows up on the screen but out of place. Even some of the original themes seem either too high or too much text or something is out of place.

Any ideas anyone?

Old 11-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Nevermind. I downloaded a fonts package and it seems to work now.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:16 PM

Most themes (except the ones included with standard Rockbox) won't work with normal Rockbox builds - mainly because of the commonly used album art patch, and several other layout patches. The most widely used builds are the ones by Maxwen0: http://rockbox.webhop.org/ I use them myself, they're excellent.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Most themes (except the ones included with standard Rockbox) won't work with normal Rockbox builds - mainly because of the commonly used album art patch, and several other layout patches. The most widely used builds are the ones by Maxwen0: http://rockbox.webhop.org/ I use them myself, they're excellent.

Thanks that patch worked great. Now using Clix theme.

Have "filters" like BBE dissappeared from the Rockbox firmware?
Is the EQ the only way of compensating for the extra bass that the original firmware provided?

Just as a side note Cowon IAudio has released a X5V 2.10 Beta 1 firmware.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:19 AM

BBE is only a part of the original firmware - it's proprietary technology by BBE Sound. Rockbox would have to pay them for using their enhancements.

BBE (and video support) is the reason why I dual boot Rockbox and the original firmware... those BBE enhancements just sound so damn good... can't live without them while using some headphones.