android
Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Default Can't get music onto ZEN

I was trying to search this out but can't find the answer. I have frimware 1.62.02
I've loaded, uninstalled and re-installed the creative software.
I've also loaded the software onto my work computer to try it there. No luck.
I tried the import wizard, unknown error.
I've opened the device in explorer, using the icon with my name on it, browsed to the music folder and attempted to drag a song onto it. It tells me I don't have the rights to do such an action. I can copy songs off of it to my computer using the same method.

Synch manager is running and showing the device. I used to sych it with Media Monkey. But, last time I tried it didn't work so used Creatives software to put all the music back on and rebuilt my lists after formatting it. These are simple mp3 pieces, and tried wav as well as ripping a cd to it.
It's running the music that's on it just fine and I can delete tracks from the player using the players menus.

I have Media player 11 loaded on both machines but don't want to use that to sych. I hate to lose what's loaded since at least it's usable right now and I can listen to what's on it, just not add new.

Any thoughts? I hate to not be able to load new music to it. It appears, at least according to it or the computers, that I don't have rights. I've never set any of the devices locks for music or video.

Hate my first post to be a whine, but here I am.
I've read this site for years and it was instrumental in my decision to buy the Zen.

Thank you,
Scott

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome Scott. So, if using Creative software, syncing works? What was the error when using MediaMonkey? Try uninstalling all of the Creative software and then try drag-and-dropping files to the ZVM. Not only is it not needed at all, but can often cause problems like this. I would also try it on another computer (without any Creative software). Just keep in mind that the computer, if WinXP, needs to have WMP10 or WMP11 installed in order to be MTP compliant. If using a Vista computer, MTP is natively supported.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried using the WMP11 to add music? You don't have to have it set to auto-sync it can be manual instead. I find that I don't have problems using it. In fact I like it better than Creative software which can be a little buggy.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Bobby, I don't recall any error with MediaMonkey. It just did nothing. If I remember right, it looked like it was working and then looking on the player when it finished and nothing changed. It's been a while though. The device is synching or should I say connecting. If it were synching music would end up on there. I can see it in explorer, creative software, and sync manager.
I can try removing all the software and then try putting a song on it. I have a machine next to me at work that doesn't have the software on it and never has, I'll try drag and drop on there and see what happens as well.
I am using Xp pro with sp3 on it.

Coach, I'll have to work with wmp since I have to admit, I don't know how to load up a single song from there to the device.
I would just hate to have it sync to nothing and then have it damage the playlists or lose my music.

I just checked on a computer with no software loaded. It showed up but only showed two folders with zero files in either, data and media.
That was with wmp10 on it. I'm updating it now with a newer version. Guess I'm not. Microsoft must have an ad in there since it's being blocked by the firewall.

Ok, so got it to 11 with another link to the file. Just so you know, having 11 loaded is far better than 10. I could see all of the folders with 11 loaded that I couldn't see with wmp10 loaded. However, the result is the same.
Tried to drag and drop a file and I get the error "yadda.wav could not be placed on the device. You do not have permission to create this item."

Last edited by Svid; 12-22-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Update 2

Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svid View Post
The device is synching or should I say connecting. If it were synching music would end up on there. I can see it in explorer, creative software, and sync manager.
Oh, so no syncing, just detection. Any other errors when using software?

Quote:
I can try removing all the software and then try putting a song on it. \
Sounds good. Let us know...

Quote:
I have a machine next to me at work that doesn't have the software on it and never has, I'll try drag and drop on there and see what happens as well.
I am using Xp pro with sp3 on it.
Remember, WMP10 or WMP11 needs to be installed as well.

Quote:
However, the result is the same.
Tried to drag and drop a file and I get the error "yadda.wav could not be placed on the device. You do not have permission to create this item."
Since the problem carries with the Zen, have you tried reloading the firmware?

Zen FAQ

Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 PM

Default Reloaded the firmware

The issue is the same as before. Same permission error or unknown error with creative software.

I'm giving serious consideration to dumping this thing. It seems whenever I want to add songs to this I have to go through this dance in some form.
It appears that this player wasn't quite ready for prime time when released.
It's extremely frustrating.

The only option I see at this point is to format it and start from scratch. Not something I look forward to since Mediamonkey didn't sync last time and that's where the lists and music are. That's assuming of course it even allows me to write music to the player once it's wiped clean. If not, it's a brick.

Jeeze, does it ever end? Running low on patience here.

Interesting, the album folder for the song was on the player, just no music. So, I deleted the folder using explorer, it allowed me to do that. So, the next thing I tried. I created an empty folder on my desktop and drug it to the player, it allowed that. So, the next thought, could my new music have issues? I tried copying a piece of music that I've put on in the past into the test folder, it wouldn't allow it. Square one, I know, but I had to try.
Another note, I just checked, my player has been wiped clean. Lists are empty and no songs. Folders and album art, but nothing else. I'm trying a disk cleanup but not holding my breath. Really, my day is not improving.

Last night I reloaded the firmware twice and twice it said it failed, twice. So, I decided to ignore it for now, it looked to be functioning, although with no music. I formatted it, hooked it up, opened mediamonkey, synced it and went to bed. Upon checking it this morning, all of the music made it on and the playlists as well. I don't know that I won't still have trouble adding music later, or what caused the issues in the first place, but it's working. At this very moment in time, I can drag and drop a music file to the player on the same computer nothing would work on. Obviously it was the player.

Thank you folks for your help and your time. I do wish I knew what the issue was so I could fix it without such drama and time invested. Again, thank you. You guys and gals are inherently better at supporting these devices than Creative.

Last edited by Svid; 12-23-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: update .. again

Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It appears that this player wasn't quite ready for prime time when released.
.... on the ZVM, thats been out for 3 years or more. Your talking about the greatest player ever from Creative; tried and true. Regardless of a computer issue you may be having or a defect/problem with the player, one person with problems is not looking at the entire picture here.

Quote:
Upon checking it this morning, all of the music made it on and the playlists as well. I don't know that I won't still have trouble adding music later, or what caused the issues in the first place, but it's working. At this very moment in time, I can drag and drop a music file to the player on the same computer nothing would work on. Obviously it was the player.
If I were to speculate... I would say either corrupt firmware or filesystem. Reloading the firmware and Formatting seemed to correct the issue.

Quote:
Thank you folks for your help and your time. I do wish I knew what the issue was so I could fix it without such drama and time invested. Again, thank you. You guys and gals are inherently better at supporting these devices than Creative.
No problem. Good to hear you have it back and working. That is all that really matters. Thanks for the complement. Enjoy your ZVM.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 12-23-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

See that's why we come here Bobby knows of what here speaks or I should say types

Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
See that's why we come here Bobby knows of what here speaks or I should say types
....and I'm happy to be here with you guys.

Zen FAQ