android
Old 12-26-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Weird characters added to tags

Hi.
I just got an Insignia Pilot 8GB. I quickly connected it to my Kubuntu computer where it was recognized and I copied all my music over to it. Once it was done transferring and said ok to unplug I unplugged it and let it rebuild the database. However many of my files had weird characteres appended to the end. It would add vowels with accents the little box/rectangle thing and other strange characters.

Could it be a ID3 2.4 problem? I tried converting all the files on the player to 2.3 with Kid3 but I still have the problem on many files (but some seem to have gone away.)

I suppose I could try to get it to connect with MTP but I'd rather do that as a last resort.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 AM

I used to have that same issue with some files, I ended up using EasyTag and removed all V1 tags, and made sure the V2 tags were all good

Old 12-27-2008, 02:35 PM

I didn't see any obvious way to do this in easy tag. How did you do it?

Old 12-27-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borahshadow View Post
I didn't see any obvious way to do this in easy tag. How did you do it?
EasyTag is a tagging software like MediaMonkey, but it's under GNU license so it's pretty cool and add free.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:19 PM

Sorry you misunderstood me. I already knew what easytag was and I installed it. However what option did you select in the program? I didn't see anything that I could use to delete the V1 tags and convert the V2 tags.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borahshadow View Post
Sorry you misunderstood me. I already knew what easytag was and I installed it. However what option did you select in the program? I didn't see anything that I could use to delete the V1 tags and convert the V2 tags.
Ohh sorry .

It's someplace in the options, I'm not 100% sure where at the moment. I would make sure to have only English characters, I'm not exactly sure if the Pilot supports non English in song titles. But it does support other languages when reading text files.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 AM

I've found that the Pilot works well using ID3v2.3 and UTF-16 encoding. My Ubuntu box (and likely most Unices) threw fits with UTF-16, much preferring UTF-8. Microsoft seems to like UTF-16, though, and the Pilot being a P4S device... I'm sure MS says UTF-16 must be supported. On Windows, I use the outstanding MP3Tag to first remove ID3v1 tags, then I convert ID3v2.4 UTF-8 (as written in fb2k) to ID3v2.3 UTF-16. I also use MP3Tag to do my album art embedding. I've found that with this combination, the Pilot is quite adept at displaying a variety of European character sets (even Estonian and Hungarian)... I think Cyrillic as well, but I don't recall.

That said, my main desktop is WinXP, so I'm not sure the best tools to use in Kubuntu... perhaps mp3tag will work in Wine?