android
Old 12-28-2008, 08:59 PM

Default SMC won't go past 49%?

I remember reading somewhere about a solution to getting SMC to work properly, but can't find it now. Anyways, my SMC, installed on both my laptop (Win Vista) and desktop (WinXP), and both of them stop encoding at exactly 49%. I've already downloaded the K-lite codec pack and made sure I have the latest Quicktime, but still nothing. The videos are encoded in to WMV. Any help?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
I remember reading somewhere about a solution to getting SMC to work properly, but can't find it now. Anyways, my SMC, installed on both my laptop (Win Vista) and desktop (WinXP), and both of them stop encoding at exactly 49%. I've already downloaded the K-lite codec pack and made sure I have the latest Quicktime, but still nothing. The videos are encoded in to WMV. Any help?
my experience has been that SMC is finicky about what video you feed into it. In this case since your files are in .wmv format your going to have to go through an intermediate conversion. Since you already have Quicktime installed I would go from .wmv --> .mov. Then take the .mov file and feed that into SMC. I've worked with mov files almost exclusively with the Fuze and have had no problems. The downside as you are now becoming aware is the 2 part conversion process. Once the video is in a compatible format all SMC really does is adjust the video to fit the screen size. Good luck.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. So, for future reference, will .mov be the best format to begin with on SMC, so the recoding looks best?

Last edited by Cereal_Killer; 12-29-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
Thanks for the reply. So, for future reference, will .mov be the best format to begin with on SMC, so the recoding looks best?
]

I can't speak for the other video formats as I have not used them much. What I can tell you is that the .mov video that I have put on my Fuze has come out quite good IMO. I'm one of the few who has watched TV shows and full length movies (3 times), on my Fuze so the video has to be good. Yes there is the occasional stuttering but not a big enough deal to ruin your watching experience.

If you want to know what I use PM me.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 03-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

I've found it best to convert any mpg/avi/flv/mp4/wmv videos to .wmv (yes, again for the original .wmv) using the wmv/asf preset in the VLC media player convert menu.

Then run it through SMC.