android
Old 12-29-2008, 07:19 PM

Smile O2 Video Playback Issue Fix

Hi, i like to share little advice and help with peeps having [problems playing any of the various formats cowon says cowon can handle

To answer your question the o2 does have a problems with playing certain profiles, but there are ways around it to still achive the best results you can get.

now i use mediacoder .. the name says it all..

and not any other free programs

google it its free

i been using for years and years. no matter how big the resolution aslong its in 1280x720 standard or lower you be fine any higher will not flow or play right.

this what i did.. dl MC and open your avi file.

Make sure you leave it the container it is ..which probably is avi and change format to h264 and dont resize resolution.. cowon can handle 720p or anything below it as long its in h264 .. i dont know why but it handles format with excellence

.. and it does make difference and w/e you want to save space your choice to choose to copy video which means direct copy from orginal with out loosing bitrate

It is your choice if you want to convert with bitrate quailty...doesnt matter still looks great and sounds!

this will make ever file that doesnt play right or have problems on cowon o2 play perfect....

the audio option is yours to choose .. fit to your liking

and at high profile standards mpeg-4 standard profile doesnt matter .. no difference that dfkt mentioned in his early post ..

As for my self i keep orginal quailty and just change format to h264 .. best handling format for cowon o2 to play back video .. at 92kz to 24kz ..

also im willing to help anybody that been having problem with this issue.. willing to upload my sample so all can test out.

Also i have heard many having issues with compatibily shuts down and frozen screen

i can confirm for my self and another that has the device with with newest firmware ..not having playing back videos or music ... i hope this helps

and have great day and good luck cowonites :P

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-31-2008, 01:52 PM

i tried h264 with another encoder with no luck, so im trying your idea currently, i will display results

Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 PM

I am confused...is there a process? how long does it take? if it isn't instantaneous then it is no better than a full conversion is it?

What I mean is: right now if I encounter a file I cannot watch on the O2 I fire up a video converter (called video converter) that niftily changes whatever format to avi container without transcoding the audio and only changing the video codec to xvid....that takes as long as the video takes to play....therefore a 30 min anime takes just under 30 mins to convert....is this faster? if it is not then there is no use doing it then.....

Last edited by affainyi; 12-31-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Redneck Moderator

Yeah, the problem with the O2 in the first place is that you have to convert some videos so they work properly, now your saying to convert them anyways? Doesn't sound like the real fix. With the old Cowons then you could just throw pretty much anything at them and they'll play it.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:20 PM

this whole thing didnt work for me, videos still run slow with out of sync audio...ill keep on trying...not that it even matters because until cowon releases a component or HDMI cable (not to be confused with composite), the HD is useless

Old 01-11-2009, 01:04 AM

I have found out that there are a bunch of codec's that don't work with the O2 and they all have something in common.

One major problem is when I see a Video File with the audio codec in AAC.
I have the following that don't work:
Under AVI I have WMV9 with AAC Audio
Under .MKV I have 2 H.264 AVC MP (No idea what that means) with AAC - It's in 6 channel audio so I don't blame the cowon
I also had a few others under MP4 that didn't work and I believe they also had AAC.

I'm starting to think the problem is the AAC set up. Btw, I just buy the JetAudio Software and convert it with that. So much easier and nicer.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:43 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volan View Post
I have found out that there are a bunch of codec's that don't work with the O2 and they all have something in common.

One major problem is when I see a Video File with the audio codec in AAC.
I have the following that don't work:
Under AVI I have WMV9 with AAC Audio
Under .MKV I have 2 H.264 AVC MP (No idea what that means) with AAC - It's in 6 channel audio so I don't blame the cowon
I also had a few others under MP4 that didn't work and I believe they also had AAC.

I'm starting to think the problem is the AAC set up. Btw, I just buy the JetAudio Software and convert it with that. So much easier and nicer.

yes i agree on you this Volan.. i have tested this out as well seems cant handle aac or something is created a problem
.. but still cant handle the x264 format perfectly but that doesnt mean the idea is dead.

Meaning anybody that is willing to test out x264 forma file with mpeg-4 avc working flawless

Let me know your results .. i am using firmware 1.17b and having no problems with anyvideo i throw at it.

here is a music video

the link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LWWT0F25

Also sorry wasnt sure what i should call topic for people saying its not a fix.. all i know it works for me. and so it should to you too...

also i didnt tell you to convert it.

Just change the format from x264 to avi or h264 .... i extract the container

Please let me know if this format handled on your 02 if you dl the vid

this method works for me and im pleased with the results.

anyway ciao

Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 AM

all I want to know is....How long does it take to do this? Does it just instantly change from x264 for to another codec?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by affainyi View Post
all I want to know is....How long does it take to do this? Does it just instantly change from x264 for to another codec?
Depends on the duration of source ( video ) and ( audio ).

For my collection of 304 music videos in high defination in x264 format .. for 02 to handle i had to change the container. since all the hd vids are usally at higher bitrate.. i dont have problem waiting for 100 vids to change

Process of one video takes 2 to 5 min also depends on how fast is your cpu! means it could be faster

So

right now on my cowon i have 314 vids 204 in highest quailty possible and 10 dl from youtube.

rest i ripped from my hdtv to my computer

all at high resoultions below and from 720 x 480 to 1280 x 720

I also found out that the cowon can handle 1280 x 720 meaning 720p perfect like mofo.

I couldnt belive it i have proof if anybody hasnt tried it out yet ...

i had a video of rihanna umbrella in 720p ripped from my box and it looks simply amazing.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AR0B903V ( download it ) it plays great on mine

but the catch is i had to use the xvid codec. i think was stage 6 im not sure im willing to share it and im sure you can learn from this specs on the video how to beat the uncompatibilty of the 02.

I dont care what anybody says about the 02 like reviews or not .. i love it and it is my choice till something else comes out better and not the s9 garbage.
not everybody thinks alike ( if it was like it ) it would be boring .. always problems where ever you go. And im sure cowon wil fix all this up make this the player to own to something better.

Like abi review said.. took 2 years to fix the d2 with firmware updates.. im sure cowon will not make the same mistake and will be faster. If you surly wait good thintgs intend to happen thats the truth

thats just my opinion and s9 i tried it and i dont like it. its clumsy ui is all over the place and it cant even support the files i have on my cowon....

I am not converting me files for just to use the s9 fuck that :P

anyway have nice day to all and good luck with your device.

Last edited by UnbreakableCode; 01-15-2009 at 02:11 AM.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM

I don't agree with the strong language but I agree with the point. I personally wouldn't accept a free s9 cos it would mean no more 720p videos for me....not to mention I have 30GB of as yet unwatched videos on my O2, S9 cannot support that....and I listen to it blasting in my shower, S9 has no speaker.....
Ok I will try the media-coder, but for now I use GOM encoder for HD files to just change the video codec and maintain resolution and bitrate....simply amazing on the O2.....simply amazing.........