android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Toshiba Gigabeat > Toshiba Gigabeat S

View Poll Results: Did DaveMac-MS's Zune fix solve your problem?
Yes it did and thank you to DaveMac-MS 2 16.67%
No I couldn't get it to work 8 66.67%
I lost my thumbs in a freak monkey accident so I'm throwing it in a drawer to rot 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 AM

Yes I can see it being discouraging but don't give up just yet If need be we can always help you find something new.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 PM

My Toshiba GigiBeat S60 is working fine... as always.

I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM

Well,it looks like the fix in the Zune thread is to drain the battery, recharge and plug back in (as long its after midnight GMT on Jan 1). I let the battery die - several times. Every time I replug it into my PC running XP Service Pack 3, it freezes on initializing. I even tried changing the date to Jan 2, 2008. I tried with my wife's Vista laptop. I even went as far as trying gnomad2 with Ubuntu Linux . Every time, it gets stuck on initializing....

I tried uninstalling with device manager, but when I plug the Gigabeat back in, it freezes on initializing again, and some kind of get USB hardware error.

I can unfreeze it quickly by switching the battery off and then plugging in the AC adaptor, so my Gigabeat is fine as long as I don't want to change the content on it. But eventually, I'm gonna want to add more stuff to it.

I know the hardware is pretty much the same, but there must be something different with the Gigabeat vs. the Zune because from scanning the Web, this is an issue for other Gigabeat owners, and the Zune fix isn't getting the job done. I am not optimistic, but any ideas from anyone are greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:01 PM

My Gigabeat S30 is also still not syncing despite repeated attempts to use the battery drain / uninstall device manager fix. I am wondering if the problem might be that the battery never truly drains. When the battery is mostly drained the player shuts off on its own; pressing the power button after this point causes the player to briefly display a dead battery icon before shutting off again. If it is able to display this icon, then the battery is clearly not entirely dead. I even tried intermittently pressing the power button (for over an hour) to try to fully drain the battery, but it continued to briefly turn on. Can any Zune owners shed some light on my theory (i.e. is it possible to completely drain the Zune battery)? If a non-draining battery is indeed the problem, it would be ironic considering the short battery life is one of the major flaws of the Gigabeat.

I also wonder if removing and replacing the battery would fix the problem and circumvent the possible non-fully-drained battery issue. I found a site that shows how to replace the battery (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...0-teardown.php), but I am too chicken to try it, lest I mess something else up. I would be interested to know if any one else thinks this would be an effective fix, though. In the mean time, I will just let the ole ‘beat sit for a while and hope that the (nearly) dead battery finally dies…

Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You shouldn't need to drain the battery on a gigabeat S, since its got a battery on/off switch. Flip that to off, and the battery voltage is a true 0.0v.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:13 AM

I've been having the same issues as others here with my S60 since Jan. 1st and have tried all of the "fixes" described here on this forum that others have also tried but still have the "stuck on initializing" issue. I've enjoyed the Gigabeat for the past couple of years and it has gone all over the world with me. It has had its share of buggy problems but I lived with them. This may be the end of the road for the Gigabeat. If Toshiba doesn't come up with a free fix for this issue I will definitely not replace it with anything else from Toshiba. Hopefully we'll all get some news for an easy solution soon. I sure miss having my travel companion!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If anyone is thinking about ditching the Gigabeat S after this, send me a PM. I've got a broken screen on my Gigabeat and have been looking for a replacement screen for a while.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 PM

I think I have a fix for those whose Gigabeat S is stuck on "initializing..."
You'll lose what you have on your Gigabeat's hard drive, but you'll be able to sync again. At least, it worked for me.

You'll need a program that can extract from rar files. I used WinZip.

Here are the steps:
Go to http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...are_Update_1_5

Look for "Gigabeat V Firmware Update 1.5". Download the patched version. You'll end up with a file called "GigabeatSRecover.rar"

Extract the contents of the rar file. You'll end up with a folder called "gigabeat-s-b".

From the start menu, bring up a DOS command window. cd into the gigabeat-s-b folder.

Turn the battery switch off on your Gigabeat. Wait a few seconds. Hold the start menu and left pad buttons down simultaneously then turning the battery switch back on. The Gigabeat will format your hard drive. Eventually it will prompt you to plug it into your PC for firmware update.

At your DOS command window execute recover.bat. You'll get prompted to plug in your Gigabeat into PC via USB. Plug it in and hit a key while your cursor is in your command window. It will proceed to update your firmware. Unplug the gigabeat. Power it off and on. You should see the familiar start screen. At this point, plug into your PC as normal, and resync your files to the device.

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
You shouldn't need to drain the battery on a gigabeat S, since its got a battery on/off switch. Flip that to off, and the battery voltage is a true 0.0v.
This should also change the date to 2079 (I think). At least that's what happens in Rockbox, on my S60.

btw, my S60 got through Y2K9 without any issues - again, I'm running Rockbox on it.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMP3 View Post
If Toshiba doesn't come up with a free fix for this issue I will definitely not replace it with anything else from Toshiba.

Toshitba wont come up with shit, they've forgotten about the S60/S30's all together, i wont ever buy another toshiba product again after my experince with there shithole so called "tech support". i actually had one guy from there tech support tell me that i should just throw it away and get something else (he even metioned the zune )

i keep getting it looping connect-done-connecting-done-connecting done-ect.ect........., just cant fix it , may just be buying an iphone 16gb but dont really want to if my s60 works

Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 AM

There's got to be a LOT of people out there that are experiencing the same thing that we are that don't even have the information that we are sharing here. I am sure that many of these will end up end the trash can this week and end up buying something other than a Toshiba product!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 AM

Default need help reformating

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloclaw View Post
From the start menu, bring up a DOS command window. cd into the gigabeat-s-b folder.

Turn the battery switch off on your Gigabeat. Wait a few seconds. Hold the start menu and left pad buttons down simultaneously then turning the battery switch back on. The Gigabeat will format your hard drive. Eventually it will prompt you to plug it into your PC for firmware update.

At your DOS command window execute recover.bat. You'll get prompted to plug in your Gigabeat into PC via USB. Plug it in and hit a key while your cursor is in your command window. It will proceed to update your firmware. Unplug the gigabeat. Power it off and on. You should see the familiar start screen. At this point, plug into your PC as normal, and resync your files to the device.

Good luck!
I still haven't been able to reformat my Gigabeat. I'm not sure of the sequence how things should be done. It works ok when not hooked up to my computer, but when I do hook it up, it either gets caught up in the "initializing" mode or in start-up at the "Windows Mobile" screen. Should I have it hooked up to the USB when I do the 'start/left button' thing or not? I've actually tried it both ways but nothing seems to work. I need a bit more guidance on this.

I have it about drained and have been clicking off and on the battery switch and pressing those two buttons ten ways from Sunday, (hooked via USB & plugged in, not hooked via USB & plugged in, etc....) but nothing seems to work.

On another note, I had originally thought that the problem stemmed from me syncing a large number of files and play-lists then returning to find the screen blank and unhooking the Gigabeat, however when I tried to use my dad's Gigabeat to upload music (I needed it for a New Years party), I realized that the problem was more then just my S60 or my computer.

Help!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 AM

Default Initializing hell

Nothing is working for me neither. I'm pissed. I love my S30. this is the first problem I've ever had with it. Not cool to be left hanging by Microsoft and Toshiba on this one. I wish we had enough people to threaten a class action but 2 years after release, how many people care about the S30 other than us!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 AM

By the way, I think legally Toshiba must provide service under the warranty even though it's expired. The bug predates the end of warranty and as such I'm pretty sure they're still liable. I'm sending them an email and let's see what kind of form answer I get back.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBe View Post
By the way, I think legally Toshiba must provide service under the warranty even though it's expired. The bug predates the end of warranty and as such I'm pretty sure they're still liable. I'm sending them an email and let's see what kind of form answer I get back.
Let us know if you hear anything back. I have already emailed Toshiba, along with several people in the media about the situation and not heard back from anyone. It seems that there probably is not enough people complaining (compared to the Zune owners) to make this a big deal for Toshiba or the media.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloclaw View Post
I think I have a fix for those whose Gigabeat S is stuck on "initializing..."
You'll lose what you have on your Gigabeat's hard drive, but you'll be able to sync again. At least, it worked for me.

You'll need a program that can extract from rar files. I used WinZip.

Here are the steps:
Go to http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...are_Update_1_5

Look for "Gigabeat V Firmware Update 1.5". Download the patched version. You'll end up with a file called "GigabeatSRecover.rar"

Extract the contents of the rar file. You'll end up with a folder called "gigabeat-s-b".

Good luck!
buffaloclaw, I have followed this procedure and get to the part of hitting a key in the command window. It brings up the Japanese Updater and seems to hang. The gigabeat is connected and plugged like the updater shows in the picture, but nothing seems to happen. I have even waited a half hour. The only thing I notice is in the lower right status bar of the updater it says "Not Connected". But if I unplug and plug the gigabeat back in, the updater detects and makes a nasty "X" in the middle of the picture.

I must be doing something real simple wrong.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosalindLJ View Post
I still haven't been able to reformat my Gigabeat. I'm not sure of the sequence how things should be done. It works ok when not hooked up to my computer, but when I do hook it up, it either gets caught up in the "initializing" mode or in start-up at the "Windows Mobile" screen. Should I have it hooked up to the USB when I do the 'start/left button' thing or not? I've actually tried it both ways but nothing seems to work. I need a bit more guidance on this.

I have it about drained and have been clicking off and on the battery switch and pressing those two buttons ten ways from Sunday, (hooked via USB & plugged in, not hooked via USB & plugged in, etc....) but nothing seems to work.

On another note, I had originally thought that the problem stemmed from me syncing a large number of files and play-lists then returning to find the screen blank and unhooking the Gigabeat, however when I tried to use my dad's Gigabeat to upload music (I needed it for a New Years party), I realized that the problem was more then just my S60 or my computer.

Help!!!
Forget about that whole draining the battery thing. The Gigabeat needs some juice so it can reformat the drive. Charge it back up and try again.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbobber View Post
buffaloclaw, I have followed this procedure and get to the part of hitting a key in the command window. It brings up the Japanese Updater and seems to hang. The gigabeat is connected and plugged like the updater shows in the picture, but nothing seems to happen. I have even waited a half hour. The only thing I notice is in the lower right status bar of the updater it says "Not Connected". But if I unplug and plug the gigabeat back in, the updater detects and makes a nasty "X" in the middle of the picture.

I must be doing something real simple wrong.
Are you using the patched version?

I didn't think this would matter, but before I downloaded that patched firmware update, I downloaded the Linux rockbox version of the firmware and tried to update my Gigabeat with the Windows sendfirm utility, but that didn't work.

Then I tried with the unpatched version of the firmware update, and got a Japanese updater. Since I can't read Japanese, I gave up on that and tried the patched version. It worked on the first time I tried it doing the procedure I outlined above.

Here is something else you can try. Go to http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...are_Update_1_5 and look for the section called "Firmware Update". Download sendfirm.exe from the Windows section. Copy it to your gigabeat-s-b folder created when you extacted from the rar file. Assuming you did indeed download the patched version, you should have a file called nk_orig.bin. Or if you're recover.bat didn't finish cleanly it might be called nk.bin. If it is called nk_orig.bin, copy it to a file called nk.bin. Via a command window, cd into your gigabeat-s-b folder and type "sendfirm nk.bin". Maybe that will work.

You could also try running recover.bat in that folder once you have sendfirm.exe in it.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:00 AM

Tip on the Japanese updater: you don't need to know the language, just check the pictures. I used this a few weeks back, and the pictures will point you in the right direction.

If I recall correctly when I did this for prepping a new HDD a few weeks ago, I had to leave the battery OFF, the unit plugged into the AC adapter, and then start the process of reformatting. I believe I connected the player via USB, then ran the tool, it downloaded the firmware update to the player, then I had to disconnect from USB to have the player complete the process. Granted, I did this prior to January 1st.

Don't give up! I'm sure this is fixable, given some patience. But don't throw the player out if you're frustrated, either - you can still get a decent price on fleaBay for these players, even if they are non-functional. I would certainly buy one....

(EDIT: I'm asking looking for a second S30 or S60 to Rockbox. So I'm not kidding that I would purchase one of these!) :-)

Last edited by roebeet; 01-07-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

hmm, I'd buy 1 as well!!!