android
Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 AM

Default Startup Time with lots of media loaded?

I'm giving some thought to a 16GB Zen, primarily for in car use. Sixteen gigs would contain every song I've ever bought from iTunes (and laboriously converted to mp3) and Amazon as well as my admittedly not very large CD collection.

I considered a Sansa 8GB model for a time but decided against it when I read that the startup time of the Sansa was directly related to the amount of media it contained. So now I'm wondering if this is just something that will afflict all flash players with lots of storage. I know devices that use media from SD cards have to catalog all of the media on a card when they start up, and that can take some time, but I'm wondering if some flash players keep an up to date directory of their internally stored contents to allow for faster startup.

Has anyone done any research or used a Zen that was filled to capacity that could relate how their startup time is affected by having thousands of files onboard the player?

Any info is appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2008, 04:15 AM

The Zen seems to start up in the same time regardless of how much content you have. I have the 16GB Zen and it's nearly full - MP3, WMA and a few videos. It starts up and is ready to play in about 3 secs if it's in "sleep mode" (ie if it's been off for less than about 2 hours). If it's been off longer than that (like all night) then it fully shuts down, and will take about 15secs to start up and be ready to play.

If you insert an SD card with lots of files, it'll take a couple of seconds to scan them when you select "browse card".

Note that the Zen isn't much good for playing media from the SD card - it does NOT integrate into the media library, like I understand the Sansa does. So go for the biggest internal memory you need / can afford.

Last edited by mattcro; 09-12-2008 at 04:25 AM.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 PM

Hey thanks for the info. Nice to know the startup time is constant, and 15 seconds isn't that bad. I've used a little 1GB cheapo model in the past that took at least that long to boot up.

I settled on 16 gigs because it'll hold all my music. Mostly I just buy classics and oldies, which they don't make anymore, thus I acquire music so slowly that by the time I need more than 16 the bigger models will be cheap enough to make replacement easy. I was never that keen on full SD integration anyway. I doubt I would use the video capabilities that often, but temporarily holding movies is probably all I'd ever do with the SD slot.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello BruceC. Welcome. Well, I don't remember much about how long the start-up time was with no files, but I can say that the start up time for my 32GB Zen, which is nearly full, is 16 seconds. I believe I would have to agree, the start-up time is about the same is if no files were on the Zen.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Default Zen Boot time?

Anyone else's ZEN, take like an age to boot up, its really annoying because most of the time i want to use my Zen i only have time to listen for a few minutes but when it takes 30 seconds to boot up it sucks!

Anyone got any tips to get a quicker boot?

Simon

Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My Zen does a full boot in about 15 seconds. Try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup to see if that helps correct any issue that may be delaying startup.

Edit: Merged with existing thread.

Zen FAQ