android
Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 AM

Default E-Series, Battery problem? Full or Empty?

Hi,
I purchased my E-Series Sony Walkman (NWZ-E436F) a week ago. When it ran out of power yesterday, I connected it to the PC to charge.

Now this is the current situation: When it is connected to the PC, the little battery icon on the right bottom corner of the MP3 player display states "FULL".
When I disconnect the cable and power on the MP3 player, I see the message "LOW BATTERY please charge" and the MP3 player switches off.
Any suggestions? I've tried to reset the MP3 player but that does not seem to make any difference.

Thanks a million!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I suggest that you exchange it for a new 1. The E series is the budget line from Sony, and it seems were starting to get a few complaints rolling in theses past few days.

PS: Welcome to ABI.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM

What firmware do you have on it?

If you haven't already, you could always try updating to v1.02 to see if it resets or fixes anything...?

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/dow...36f/modelfirst

Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks. I think I go with option 1 and exchange it. I was hoping it was something simple
Thanks for posting your replies.
./Rene

Old 01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you get a chance, check out the S63X/73X series. A step up, a whole lot more options, great all around team player!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 AM

charge more often, it is better for battery longevity

Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Default full or not full that is the question.

I also have a Sony E series walkman and have now run into the same problem. I have owned it for several months and it has operated fine, however I recently purchased a new computer and it is only now that I have this problem. It will still charge correctly on my older comp but not at all on the new one, I can only guess the the power output on the usb is a bit too high. But who knows, well if you do pls tell us i need my music at work. No tunes No happy No good!!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:44 PM

I had the same problem. After a few weeks, battery indicator start flashing. Plug it in and it reads full. No matter how long I leave it in, it reads empty unplugged.

I did try USB 1.1, 2.0, and an auto USB cable. I have returned Walkman for exchange.

The USB specs call for 5V at 0.5A, more than enough.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:15 PM

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I have just discovered that it was a driver problem through trial and error (and luck).

On this computer, it has the same problem described by Rene and I charge it on other computers (XP and Vista, none have problems). A week ago, I installed Windows Media Player 11 and the battery on the Walkman was running low. I tried connecting it to this computer (Windows XP SP3) despite the known problem and Windows tried installing drivers even if it wasn't the first time the Walkman was connected. The difference this time was that Windows couldn't install the driver and the battery charging worked. In UMS and MTP modes, everything works even though there is an exclamation mark on the device's name in Device Manager and the device name is wrong (generic name).

Then, I reinstalled the User-Mode Driver Framework from Microsoft to correct the driver installation problem. It now installs and identifies correctly but the battery charging problem came back.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The E Series is a complete pain, I'd exchange it if I were you.