android
Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 AM

Default podcast mangement with the A3

Hello all,
I've ordered an A3-80SL, and while I wait for it to arrive, I've been looking though the user manual, reviews, forums, etc. trying to find mention of how the A3 handles podcasts. Specifically, if you use the Cowon/iAudio supplied software, are 'casts automatically kept separate from the general music files on the player?
The manual mentions a "boundary" feature that looks like it may allow me to create my own separation, but I'm just hoping there's some built in podcast handling. If so, I hope it's not based on some wacky scheme where all your 'casts are converted to .wmv format.

Thanks,
Billy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM

I would like an answer to this also before i buy one. Podcast are important to me in a player.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Well my A3 arrived Monday, but I haven't had time to do much more than drag some music and videos onto it. There's a folder on the device labeled "PodCast_Ready" that contains an installer for a program called mypodder, I'll play with it some and let you know how things turn out.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:22 PM

I can't wait to hear from you on this.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 AM

OK, I've played with it for a week, and here's what I've found. First, the included software (mypodder) is what's termed "portable", meaning that it runs directly off of the A3 with no installation. That's a nice feature, as all your subscription data travels with you; as long as you have a computer to jack it into, you can update your feeds. As for on-board management, well, it's good enough for me.
All of your casts are stored in a separate directory. If you have the "boundary" feature on the A3 set to only play the current directory and its sub-directories (I think that's the default setting), then casts and music stay separated. You play them just like you do music or movies, you just have to choose the right source folder.
The only real annoyance for me is that the A3 doesn't read the ID tags while browsing directories, so it's easy to lose your place if the podcaster doesn't use meaningful file names. To be honest, I'm not sure any of my players do that differently, so that's more of a problem with content providers than the player.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Sounds cool,thanks fro the update. So if you get you podcast from this podcast ready site and you plug your player into your pc,it will update to the latest podcast right?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Correct. The software keeps all of your subscription information on the A3, as soon as you run the mypodder app from the A3 it will automatically find your updates, you don't even really have to ever visit the "PodcastReady" website, although they do offer some additional social-web features on the site, such as a "hey, you like podcast X, other people who liked that also liked podcast Y" type thing. I already knew the addresses of the casts I listen to, so I just entered them directly into the software, and haven't been to the website at all except to download the Linux version of the software.