android
Old 12-22-2006, 06:43 AM

I successfully update the firmware from 1.03 to 1.05 on my GF's K5, however I encountered the "White screen" issue, however re-applying the 1.05 FW again solved this, but I cannot understand why the removed the original Music selection method. I understand adding the file browse, but why remove other things, this is a 4 gig device....loadsa space (especially if you use Ogg @ 64K/Bs)

I am a long time user of Samsung's Yepp range from the Yepp-E64 to Yepp-T6 and now the Yepp-K5.

as I have sucessfully converted my GF from the IPOD, I will have to go back to 1.03.

Suffice to say, I am disappointed.

BTW DBPowerAMP can place files on the K5 when with 1.03 installed, which are 'not supported' I suggest you all have a look at this.

However, the device i=s fantastic, and I will be getting one for myself to replace the battered 256 Mb Yepp-T6

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2006, 02:12 AM

Ok, so i downloaded the 1.05 firmware from the samsung website. Than I unzipped the file and etc. Than i went to my computer, than to the yp-k5 device and clicked on internal storage. And copied the unzipped files into there. Than i "safetly" removed the device. Than i turned it on. It says firmware upgrading, than it turns off. I turned it on again and it says upgrading imaage than aui file. Than it turns on. And when i check the system info, the firmware is still 1.05. Can anyone help or is this supposed to happen?

Old 12-26-2006, 02:16 AM

or should i not even upgrade? I've read some other threads and got unhappy respones with the upgrade.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:01 PM

I just got this player yesterday and did the flash first thing out of the box (ok, second or third thing, after I played with it a bit.) I bought the player for ogg vorbis support, and in this regard the player performs great.

As for the navigation after the flash, I just copy my music files to the player in folders by artist and album in the MUSIC folder on the player. It's a little more work on the front end, but it makes navigation easy in the player.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:42 AM

I think there are still some major problems with it...

I upgraded because my Media Studio upgraded when I installed it and would not see the player at all. (Bad)

After I upgraded the firmware, syncing playlists puts all the files flat in the Music directory which is worthless with the file browser - so, you can have playlists or Browse by folders, but not both using Media Studio. (Worse)

I am giving up on playlists (and Genres too (boo)) and will use Media Studio to copy pictures only. I will use Media Center to copy Albums into folders.

1.03 looked like a better firmware that didn't work with Media Studio - but 1.05 looks unfinished to me. I may go back.

Of course, 1.03 has the Artist field problem with Albums that are collections of Various Artists (boo again). I sometimes think no one uses these things...

Last edited by NetMage; 12-27-2006 at 12:44 AM. Reason: add more info

Old 12-30-2006, 04:21 AM

hi got my k5 in november and i just upgraded to 1.05..thanks for the guide

i was wondering what program do you all use to sync? cause i was using windows media player 11 and when i tried to delete a whole album, i would select the album, right click and press delete..but then a window comes up and says that it cannot delete the files..but actually for some reason only one file was deleted..yeah that sounds weird

anyway i tried deleting the album with samsung media studio and it worked fine

Old 12-30-2006, 04:58 AM

man i think im gonna wait for version 1.06, 1.05 seems like a pos to me.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:25 PM

i upgraded last night and i didnt really like it..so this afternoon i tried to downgrade and i think i broke the k5..i tried to go back to 1.05 but its not working

i really have no idea what to do..im thinking about going to get another one in a few days

i should have gotten a warranty

Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 PM

ok its for sure dead now..i think i almost had it fixed too!

a while ago i was putting the 1.05 firmware back on it..but somehow it was only able to copy the .aui file and then froze on me..so i disconnected it, turned it on and then it was started to upgrade again..so the .aui file saved and then i copied the other two files and turned it on again..it got to the part where i had to remove 18mb..so i plugged it back in, formatted it..everything was going great!..then it was firmware time..i decided to put the 1.03 firmware on..i disconnected the player, turned it on and...NOTHING!..i plug it in the computer and nothing..so i press the reset button and turn it on..it shows that samsung animation and then the screen turns white and then goes black

Old 12-30-2006, 07:22 PM

try holding down the reset button for a full 30 seconds before restarting it and see if that makes it work agian.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:31 PM

thanks but nothing happens..i even pressed the reset button for a minute..i turn it on, the samsung animation comes on, and then half the screen turns white for a split second and then goes black

im probably just going to buy another one

Old 12-30-2006, 10:08 PM

u should be able to get another one for free if you've only had it for a couple of days it should be under warranty

Old 12-30-2006, 10:55 PM

i bought it in the middle of november

can i still get one?

Old 01-02-2007, 03:41 PM

yes, it has a one year warranty =]

i've had the yh-925, if anyone even knows what that is
and dropped it and it crahsed the hard drive

so a couple weeks ago i called samsung, and they offered to give my the k5 FREE, seeing that my product was stil under warranty ( only reason they gave me the k5 is because the yh-925 is no longer supported )

but all of there mp3 players have a 1 year warranty i believe

Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 PM

When I downgraded mine to 1.03 I had to downgrade twice:

1. put 1.03 files in root of UMS device in Explorer.
2. power cycle device - should see firmware upgrade message
3. When it comes up past Samsung the 1.03 firmware is running but has no Graphics - you can tell by using Main Menu button. Anyway, plug into Windows PC and format the device in MTP mode.
4. Now you should have a data folder - put 1.03 firmware files in data folder
5. power cycle device - should see firmware upgrade message
6. turn device on - should see AUI file load messages
7. Device is back to 1.03!

PS I wish I had seen the earlier post about this before I spent 20 minutes figuring out how to downgrade

Old 01-03-2007, 04:57 PM

ha all they're going to do is service it for me..i think im just going to end up scamming best buy

Old 01-06-2007, 06:19 PM

Does anyone have the original 1.03 firmware? I can't get playlists to work with 1.06

Old 01-07-2007, 12:23 PM

go to the US website of Samsung, it should be there.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:39 PM

Got it. I downgraded to 1.03, but then upgraded again to 1.06 because of the neat lyrics feature. But it's not worth it...downgraded again to 1.03 because playlists would be hit or miss. Sometimes it would find the files, other times it wouldn't.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 AM

Hello,

I've tried to uptdate my Samsung to UMS, but it wasn't working so I decided to revert it ... But now, when I connect my YP-K5 to my computer, it isn't detected (I have Windows XP SP2) and a message is printed on the screen :
"No space for DB. Please delete more than 18.0MB".
Do you know how I can repair this problem ?

Thank you

P.S : I'm french so excuse me if my english isn't perfect.