android
Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Actually I had no idea. SlotMusic seems to be the unrestricted one where as SlotRadio appears to be very restricted. I take it that SlotMusic is the one that comes pre-loaded with the tracks where as SlotRadio I take it plays AM or FM stereo.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
Actually I had no idea. SlotMusic seems to be the unrestricted one where as SlotRadio appears to be very restricted. I take it that SlotMusic is the one that comes pre-loaded with the tracks where as SlotRadio I take it plays AM or FM stereo.
The SlotRadio cards come pre-loaded with 1000 songs that you can't remove or add to, and the SlotRadio player has an FM tuner, but no internal memory, just the card slot.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticusLX View Post
jkj1962, it makes sense the preloaded cards might only play on Sansa audio devices. But also other devices, after all, Sansa wants as many people as possible to buy these things, right? But doesn't the Fuze allow you to play music by genre or Artist (i.e. read tags?)

The restrictions with the slot music (i.e., micro SD cards preloaded with music, 1,000 genre specific tunes on a card for $39.99 based on early promos) are that they can't be removed from the card.
You're confusing slotMusic with slotRadio.

SlotMusic cards have one album from one artist on them. They will play in just about anything, the slotMusic player, the Fuze, cell phones, anything with a microSD slot in it. As far as I can tell, they are not DRM'd in any way. I have not tried but I think the files can be copied off and still played. You can also add files of your own to the card.

SlotRadio cards have 1000 songs from different artists on them. They can be played in a Fuze, so I think they can be played in other microSD-equipped devices. They can not be copied off the card. I'm assuming they're DRM'd in some way.

Quote:
You can also buy cards now that have music from a single artist, like ABBA, for about $15.

Those are slotMusic cards. SlotRadio cards are not available yet.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
jbc: in case you haven't caught on, there are two products: slotMusic, and slotRadio. Quite different in design of the card contents.

Steve
Ya gotta wonder if anyone at Sandisk even considered there would be confusion about the two.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
I know, it's confusing, they have similar names and both have pre-loaded content.

SlotMusic is one album by one arist, no resrictions. The player is simple, no screen, no radio, no USB, nuthin' but a slot.

SlotRadio is 1000 songs on a card by different artists, restricted to the card. The player has an FM radio as well as a card slot and a screen.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:42 PM

So SlotMusic is equivalent to the standard "album" concept, whereas SlotRadio is a "virtual radio" on a card. Marketing genius!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
So SlotMusic is equivalent to the standard "album" concept, whereas SlotRadio is a "virtual radio" on a card. Marketing genius!
That's a reasonable view of the difference.

Marketing genius? Maybe. Only time will tell.

I MIGHT buy a SlotRadio card ($40 US, who knows in Canada) if it represented the right radio station, and if early adopters report that it works decently in a Fuze. Unlikely to buy the $100US player.

I probably will buy at least one slotMusic card ($15US, who knows in Canada) just for the heck of it, and to get the micro SD reader that supposedly comes in the package. Might even buy the $20US player.

My wife wants to go to a US Wal-Mart in the next week or so. Might even "put my money where my mouth is" then.

Steve

Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 PM

I finally got around to trying to copy the files off of a slotMusic card. It seems to work just fine. The files are 320k and actually have the album art imbedded.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 AM

I personally would not be inclined to buy a slotMusic card just for the heck of it, since that would inevitably create the need to acquire even more. But 1 card with 1,000 genre specific tunes (i.e., a SlotRadio card) for $39 is irrestible. I'd have to have some idea of what tunes are included, of course.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 AM

The files on the slotMusic card are just 320K? That's for a 10-second preview, right? A 3.5 minute mp3 music track should be about 5,000 kb to be worthwhile.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
The files on the slotMusic card are just 320K? That's for a 10-second preview, right? A 3.5 minute mp3 music track should be about 5,000 kb to be worthwhile.
Kbps.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:26 PM

320 kbps is fantastic. That will definitely sell.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM

Back to the topic of this thread.....

I was in Best Buy today, and they have corrected the card to say "16GB View" instead of "16GB Fuze".

Ya think they read this forum?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 AM

Hi! I'm new to mp3 players and to forums, so be patient with me please! Did I understand that there is a new microSD card coming for the Fuze that is bigger than 8gb? I just bought a Fuze, my first player, last week and filled it's 8gb in a couple of days. Tomorrow I expect to receive an 8gb card to bump it to 16gb. Am I going to be able to increase the capacity even more in the near future? Thanks guys!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp457 View Post
Hi! I'm new to mp3 players and to forums, so be patient with me please! Did I understand that there is a new microSD card coming for the Fuze that is bigger than 8gb? I just bought a Fuze, my first player, last week and filled it's 8gb in a couple of days. Tomorrow I expect to receive an 8gb card to bump it to 16gb. Am I going to be able to increase the capacity even more in the near future? Thanks guys!
Yes, there is a 16GB card out. Right now, it's between $50 and $60 online, where as the 8GB cards are less than $20 online. So unless you're rolling in dough, you might as well stick with the 8GB for now.

There's another factor to consider also, if you want to get the 16GB right away. What size are your music files? Are they ripped or downloaded at a high bitrate for good quality, or are they all 64kbps ? The reason I ask this is that there's currently a 4,120 file limit built into the firmware. The developers are working on raising it to 8,000 , hopefully by mid-year.

So keep that in mind, and enjoy your Fuze....I enjoy mine

Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 AM

Greeting from earth Marvin! I much appreciate your reply. I'm not as tech savy about this as you are, but I'll try to answer. I used Media Player to rip my CDs and put each CD in a seperate folder... someone here recommened that. I've loaded about 7gb in the player and all is well. When I get the new card I hope to jump up to about 14gb and leave space for the future. My total files will be about 1800. I'll take your advise and stick to the 8gb card for now. I'm just hoping I don't have any problems with it... like I saw mentioned on this site. I'll post what happens here. Thanks again, you're kind to share your expertise with everyone. Bob

p.s. I've been interested in getting a player for a couple of years, but the only one I had hear was my son's ipod. I thought is sounded dull and uninvolving. Then my wife wanted a small player to wear when taking her walks, so I looked at then in a store and compare the little ipod 1gb with the Sansa clip 4gb. I bought the Sansa purely on features for the same price as the ipod. After I listened to it I was amazed at the sound (my downloads, no Sansa's). I had to have one and a couple of days later ordered the Fuze. Totally love it! bob

Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
So unless you're rolling in dough, you might as well stick with the 8GB for now.
I have a 16GB one, and I wouldn't say I'm "rolling in dough". Just that I make a decent living and don't have a "significant other" to report all expenditures to.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp457 View Post
Greeting from earth Marvin! I much appreciate your reply. I'm not as tech savy about this as you are, but I'll try to answer. I used Media Player to rip my CDs and put each CD in a seperate folder... someone here recommened that. I've loaded about 7gb in the player and all is well. When I get the new card I hope to jump up to about 14gb and leave space for the future. My total files will be about 1800. I'll take your advise and stick to the 8gb card for now. I'm just hoping I don't have any problems with it... like I saw mentioned on this site. I'll post what happens here. Thanks again, you're kind to share your expertise with everyone. Bob

p.s. I've been interested in getting a player for a couple of years, but the only one I had hear was my son's ipod. I thought is sounded dull and uninvolving. Then my wife wanted a small player to wear when taking her walks, so I looked at then in a store and compare the little ipod 1gb with the Sansa clip 4gb. I bought the Sansa purely on features for the same price as the ipod. After I listened to it I was amazed at the sound (my downloads, no Sansa's). I had to have one and a couple of days later ordered the Fuze. Totally love it! bob
Hello, I got the 8gb card for the Fuze today and as I thought might happen from reading this forum, I'm having problems.

I plugged in the card and went to Media Player to download my stuff. I have about 14bg total which should fit. First the MP downloaded about half and told me the player was full. What I think was happening is that it was only using in internal memory. To keep it brief... I diddled with it a while trying to figure how to "merge" the two memories. Finally I had an idea. I removed the external card and download until the internal was full. Then I inserted the card, changed devices on the MP setting and started downloading the rest to external memory. Except for a couple of albums it skipped for some reason, it looked like it was working. After I finished, I disconnected and let the Fuze refresh itself.

Here's the result. Only 38 of the 100 or so albums are listed in the player. When I look at "songs" is seems to have them all there, but most won't play. Under "artists", most are missing. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Any help getting this thing set up properly would be much appreciated!

Thanks a bunch, Bob

Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm working on some answers....it's turning into a bit of a novel...stay tuned!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As far as not seeing all your albums....you should look in the Settings menu for what USB mode you are in. The default is Auto-Detect, which can go back and forth between MTP and MSC. Files added in one mode are not visible in the other, so it's best to choose one or the other. Since you have a lot of music already, then I would suggest MSC mode.

The drawback to all this....you will have to erase everything you added and add it again. The quickest way to do it is the format command in the settings menu. After that, choose your USB mode.

Yeah, it sucks having to load it again, but all the songs you add next should be visible and available to you. The other benefits of MSC...it means you can add/subtract music on your Fuze without even using Media PLayer if you like. The Fuze will show up when you plug it in as a USB storage device(2 of them with card)on just about any computer.

Mine, for example, shows up as drives J: and K: . Then, open up My Computer/Windows Explorer in 2 seperate windows: one open to the folder where MediaPlayer stored all your CD's, and the other the internal memory drive. Now, you can drag and drop/copy and paste files into the music folder. Just don't cut and paste....you want them to still be in the computer.

You'll have to keep an eye on how much memory you're filling up....when you're getting close, then repeat the process on the next drive, the external memory.

Now, if you do want to use Media Player, you still can...but as you figured out, you have to fill the internal and external seperately. Up in the top right corner, you'd see Sansa Fuze, and then to do external memory, click "next device".

Well, hopefully this gets you off to a better start. And on a side note...you mentioned liking the sound.....if you're using the included earbuds and you like the sound, just be aware that you can do better