android
Old 01-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Default S60 will not connect with USB

Hello. I bought an S60 a good while ago, I think as far back as Jan '07. I used it and loved it for several months until I came across a problem. The USB connector stopped working. The device would charge from AC, but it would not charge from USB or connect to a PC. I tried numerous cables, computers, screaming at it etc, but to no avail. I looked on the web for a solution but nothing seemed to fit this problem. As I live in the UK and I ordered it through Amazon US, Toshiba won't offer me support. When I rang the relevant UK helpline, they claimed the model number didn't exist, and they'd never heard of a Gigabeat. Finally I gave up and put my Gigabeat away, with the mystery unsolved. A few days ago, I came across it again and now I'm wondering just what was the matter with it. I dug out all the gear for it, plugged it in through AC, and it booted and played just the same as when I left it. And sure enough, when I tried connecting it to my PC, there was no response from PC or Gigabeat, not even a charging symbol. I'm looking for a solution again and I thought I'd better post in case someone can help.

I'm glad I found this forum; I started to think the Gigabeat had disappeared from discussion after all this time.

Thanks in advance,
Zero 51

Last edited by zero51; 01-11-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero51 View Post

I'm glad I found this forum; I started to think the Gigabeat had disappeared from discussion after all this time.

Thanks in advance,
Zero 51

apart from here s60 is pretty much dead.

my s60 just loops, connected, done, connected, done, ect..... and just can not fix it

but with your problem have you tried opening your device manager right click the top icon and "scan for hardware changes" while the S60 is plugged in and seeing if anything at all comes up in the list (mtp device/unkown,,ect)

Old 01-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Yeah I thought to try that, but my computer didn't recognise any changes whatsoever. Is there a possibility it'll be because of some kind of loose connection inside the device?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Sell your broken Gigabeat to me. I want an S60 badly enough to fix it.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 AM

I was hoping I could fix it so I would have a decent mp3 player to use. Also partly because I'm quite intrigued as to what's causing it to not work. I thought to open it up seeing as I'm not covered by Toshiba support, but I'm a bit hesitant from fear of breaking something.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:20 PM

For both of you, it could very well be a lose connection on the system board. I had this happen to one of my ChiPod's - the USB connector actually half-detached from the board.

This is what I would suggest: Try it on other PC's, and also other cables (if you haven't already done that). If it's consistent, then it's probably a problem with the Gigabeat itself.

the USB connector is actually on a daughterboard (see http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...0-teardown.php) and it's actually pretty easy to take it apart - 5 screws and some patience. If all else fails, I would sell it: you could still get a decent price for it on eBay.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Thanks very much for your advice, roebeet. It's much appreciated. I'll try sometime this week to take it apart. I've got exams all through this week so chances are it'll be during the weekend. In any case I'll post my progress when i do get round to it for anyone curious or with the same problem.

Thanks
Zero 51

Old 02-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Do not use the front usb ports. They work but only sometimes, try it on diffrent computers. I have repaired lots of these and have never had a bad usb connection on the board.