android
Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Default Clip/Fuze output volume?

Looking to buy either the Fuze or the Clip...just a Q regarding the output volume of, well both of these.

I have listened to a couple players of friends (iPod's, ZEN's etc.) and find most of them to have volume levels that are just too low for my taste. My brother has a ZEN Vision: M and uses PX100's and whenever I listened to it I wished for it to be just a tad louder.

So can anyone inform me of the volume level of the Clip and Fuze using PX100's? I was given a pair of these headphones as a Christmas present.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Any DAP should be able to drive the PX100s to ear splitting levels (>>120dB) given the sensitivity they claim. If you weren't get much volume out of them, its probably a broken mp3 player or a bad pair of headphones.

That said, most daps drive headphones to within 5-10dB max volume of one another unless they've got a volume cap or some other limiting feature like some ipods had.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 PM

Thanks Saratoga.
I mainly want to use the player for commuting on train and bus, and since these can be quite noisy environments I would like a strong volume output.

I remember old iPods used to have a sort of volume limiter to protect your ears and protect Apple from lawsuits I guess hehe. I dont know whether that is still the case though.

One other thing that still bothers me about the Fuze which I cant seem to find clarification on, is the folder structure, or lack thereof. On the vids I've seen for the UI, you can browse between Artist and Album. My music on my PC is archived in folders as, Artist > Album > Tracks. When I copy my music onto the player in these existing folders, will I be able to choose albums via the Artist option and then see all Albums listed for that Artist? I would hate for it to just list all the songs from all albums for a specific Artist :S

Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 AM

If you live in Europe, than you will have a hard time finding a suitable player. For some reason Europe has laws that try to prevent people from having fun, and this is one of them. Usually you can flash your European player to American firmware and you can go and enjoy your music.

I bought mine Fuze in Graz and it already had an American firmware. Next to it was a Clip with Europeam firmware, and the difference was really noticable. With maximum volume on Clip you could still have conversation with people next to you. Pathetic.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eenatius View Post
Thanks Saratoga.
I mainly want to use the player for commuting on train and bus, and since these can be quite noisy environments I would like a strong volume output.

I remember old iPods used to have a sort of volume limiter to protect your ears and protect Apple from lawsuits I guess hehe. I dont know whether that is still the case though.

One other thing that still bothers me about the Fuze which I cant seem to find clarification on, is the folder structure, or lack thereof. On the vids I've seen for the UI, you can browse between Artist and Album. My music on my PC is archived in folders as, Artist > Album > Tracks. When I copy my music onto the player in these existing folders, will I be able to choose albums via the Artist option and then see all Albums listed for that Artist? I would hate for it to just list all the songs from all albums for a specific Artist :S
Yes, go to Artist in the list,, and you will see a list of albums from that artist. That said, it is a tag-based directory structure, and as such, you need to keep the ID3 tags in order, so as not to have the dreaded "unknown" pop up everywhere,or see your favorite selections mis-spelled. I believe that saratoga is correct in saying the Px100's will be quite loud with a Fuze.....if you need more, there's always the FiiO E3 and E5 to consider
http://www.fiio.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=8

Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombardier
Usually you can flash your European player to American firmware and you can go and enjoy your music.
Interesting. Yes I live in London and I'll most probably buy online through Amazon UK or Play. Is American firmware for the Fuze then freely available to everyone over the net?

BTW, thanks for all the feedback guys!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Interesting. Yes I live in London and I'll most probably buy online through Amazon UK or Play. Is American firmware for the Fuze then freely available to everyone over the net?

BTW, thanks for all the feedback guys!
Here is a thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25408
Backup Players: 8GB Sansa View, 2GB Sansa Clip

Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
Actually, I think that this is for previous versions of firmware. Now you can download each firmware separately here: http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...cending&page=1

DISCLAIMER: Haven't tried it myself.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Bombardier, if you check the MD5sum of the firmware, they are the same. That is how we found out about it in the Clip.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 AM

Didn't check that. I thought that was for the previous version only.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yea, it is the same with the other versions too. I have tried it on my Clip, and it still works.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM

I recieved my 8gb Fuze plus 8gb SD card on Friday and after a couple of days' use, I must say that I'm extremely happy with it. It actually surpassed all my expectations. It's simple and easy to use, and the SQ is brilliant for such a cheap player. I strongly recommend the Fuze to anyone looking for a great sounding, yet cheap DAP. Posting this here is probably preaching to the choir, but what the heck

Again, thanks to everyone's input earlier in this thread.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I recieved my 8gb Fuze plus 8gb SD card on Friday and after a couple of days' use, I must say that I'm extremely happy with it. It actually surpassed all my expectations. It's simple and easy to use, and the SQ is brilliant for such a cheap player. I strongly recommend the Fuze to anyone looking for a great sounding, yet cheap DAP. Posting this here is probably preaching to the choir, but what the heck

Again, thanks to everyone's input earlier in this thread.
ahh..another FUZE convert. My plan is working to perfection...
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 02-06-2009, 12:50 PM

I used to own a ZVM (which I liked a lot but sold because I needed moneys) I met a person who had a Clip, the Clip was much louder.

I suppose his music files were encoded louder... but I doubt it.

I now have a Fuze, it seems louder, but it's hard to make a comparison with a few months between listens.