android
Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Default album art working sometimes?

hey guys..i know you get a lot of album art questions...soo err sorry for buggin...but I just wanted to know why some album art works and some don't on my fuze :\ I resized all of them to 250 by 250 and there all Jpg. I also renamed them album art.jpg This works fine...but for some reason on some of them it doesn't work..I had the same problem with my e200 also :\ Any clue why some of them aren't working?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
hey guys..i know you get a lot of album art questions...soo err sorry for buggin...but I just wanted to know why some album art works and some don't on my fuze :\ I resized all of them to 250 by 250 and there all Jpg. I also renamed them album art.jpg This works fine...but for some reason on some of them it doesn't work..I had the same problem with my e200 also :\ Any clue why some of them aren't working?
Are you syncing them? If yes, and only some work, try drag&drop. If the jpg. is in the folder when I view it in My Computer/Windows Explorer, then when I D&D them it works.....syncing, I never know if it will or not.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:07 AM

uhh yah I drag and drop them in the album folder. It's worked on all my songs...there's just like 5 or 6 of them that don't have album art...I know it's now a big deal..but It just really annoys me...maybe it's something in the mp3 tag or w.e it's called O_o?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Someone once said, that jpegs mustn't be in a progressive format or baseline optimized - maybe you want to check, if the ones that can't be displayed are in such a format. I believe the format that should work is basically just baseline standard (I'm really not deep into image formats).

Old 01-14-2009, 01:10 PM

err What do you mean baseline standard ...sorry I'm kinda slow :\

Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM

Umm yeah, I was hoping that you wouldn't ask , as I don't know myself what baseline means. Progressive jpegs are created that way, when they are loaded, first a low quality version is loaded, then a medium quality one and so on, until the quality is maxed out. Non-progressive jpegs are loaded at maximum quality from the start and, as you may have experienced while browsing the web, the image builds up line by line.

I believe the baseline-optimized-thing is just an enhancement over the non optimized format, like for example variable bitrate is over constant bitrate with MP3s.

Bottom line: I think these 3 types of jpegs got slightly different data structures, and it seems to be the case, that the Fuze only accepts standard non-baseline optimized, non-progressive jpegs.

Hope that helps. For more info, I suggest visiting Wikipedia.

If I talked bullshit - someone pls correct me. As I said, I'm not into image formats.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM

hmmm i think I understand O_o? err well i use photoshop to set the pictures to jpg and when I save em it ask me to set the quality O_o to Maximum,high,Medium or Low. some album art that didn't work were cause the pictures were set to maximum O_o and I re-saved them to high and they worked..but that didn't work for those 5 or so alubm art that still wont show up O_o. I've tried re-sizing them to smaller size's and lower qality's but no go :'[ soo I duno what's up with it. I duno if maybe the id3 tag or w.e it is has something to do with it O_o or maybe that all my songs are .ogg O_o?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:26 PM

If you use PS, try "save optimized for web" or the like (I got the German version). There you can choose whether you want progressive or baseline-optimized. I believe the jpges can't be too big either, maybe thats why the high quality images weren't displayed.

I got a tip for you: the Fuze displays the album art with a resolution of 120x120 (in pseudo full-screen mode), so you get much better quality, when you save you album art in this resolution. Because the Fuze doesn't need to resize them, what reduces the quality considerably.

What I do, is to resize the original, big, images to 122x122 and then crop them to 120x120 - to cut off the border, that is sometimes present. You can do this easily with FastStone Photo Resizer, which is a free software. I keep the original image together with the resized and proper renamed one in the album folder and set them as hidden (with Windows Explorer), so they won't show up when browsing photos.

EDIT: err, I resize to 122x122 of course, so 1 pixel can be cropped at every side.

This may sound like a lot of work, but it actually can be done quite fast with this great program and you can resize thousands of images in one step (or two if are cropping them, like me) and when you keep the original album art image, you can easily resize them to any resolution in the future if it should change after firmware updates or for Rockbox.

Last edited by zickZackMann; 01-14-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 PM

hmm Ok I'll try that out see if that works. thanks

Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Ahh Dude thank you soo much zickZack!! that worked soo simple ty ty soo much this has been buggin me for the past 4 days lol. I resized them to 120 by 120 and set the format thing to baseline standard and they showed up finally and they do have a lot better quality! thanks a lot man!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 PM

I'm glad I could help .

Old 01-17-2009, 07:34 AM

What I've found thus far with my Fuze (v2 with xx.17 fw) is that the album art needs to be less than 100 KB to display. My highest resolution file is 1000 x 992 but comes in at 49.7 KB and it displays fine. Of course 120 x 120 is the sweet spot since it wouldn't require any scaling, but I haven't had the time to go over and resize all of them.
I have also found that some art pulled off Amazon.com with MP3Tag generally measures 240 x 240 and looks much better than other files that are 500 x 500. I'm assuming that the multiple of two (240 px) is smoother to scale than 4.17 (500 px)

Hope that helps,
CFC

Old 01-18-2009, 03:04 PM

What I found odd in my case is that my album art appears in my Windows Explorer (if I have of folder of Metallica albums, I can see the album art on the folder). But, when I copy those to my Music folder of the Fuze, the image on the folder disappears. Obviously, the album art doesn't appear on the Fuze, but I find it odd that it would disappear, just by draggin and dropping on the Fuze.

Maybe someone can explain to me why it does that? I'm such a newbie when it comes to album art, it's not even funny.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:44 PM

I think embedding from software such as wmp, itunes, or winamp is different than embedding it straight to the file with a program such as mp3tag.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:54 AM

So what is the best size for jpeg files?
Would 300 x 300 be too big?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:09 PM

300x300 ain't too big, but you get the best results with 120x120, as the player doesn't need to resize the images (well, at least in pseudo-fullscreen-mode) what he does with an algorithm that produces really shitty quality (cause he has to do it fast and lacks big computing powers).

BTW: XBOX360 foar teh winz!!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimicitor View Post
So what is the best size for jpeg files?
Would 300 x 300 be too big?
Like ZickZack said, 300x300 is not too big, but 120x120 is optimal.
Like I said above, I've also found that any even multiplier of 120x120 works pretty good too. So 240x240 or 480x480 "seem" to resize better than a 500x500 image.
For me, the limit has been the file size: anything greater than 100 kb doesn't work for album covers.

CFC

Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 AM

xbox 360 :0..Did you guys know you can use your xbox 360 as a charger for the sansa even though the 360 is off O_o, it's pluged in but its off and still charges! Sweet! and u can still listen to music and watch videos while it charges

Old 01-24-2009, 02:54 PM

I spent a good few hours editing all my album art to 240x240 in Paint.net and saving it to as a jpg with 100% quality but they aren't showing up.
They are all under 100k in size.
Do I need to rename them or something?
Is there anything I can try?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimicitor View Post
I spent a good few hours editing all my album art to 240x240 in Paint.net and saving it to as a jpg with 100% quality but they aren't showing up.
They are all under 100k in size.
Do I need to rename them or something?
Is there anything I can try?
Are you embedding them in the MP3, or are you simply putting them in a folder?
I've found that if they're in a folder, they need to be named "album art.jpg". I prefer to embed them with MP3 Tag though.

Good Luck, let us know if that worked.

CFC