android
Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 AM

Default Cowon S9 Review and Comparisons

My Review of the Cowon S9.

I wanted to give a full review, giving that I own the device, have put my music and videos on it and used it almost constantly for a few days.
Please note, the vertical/horizontal fine lines shown on the S9's screen in the featured pictures below are visible only to a camera, not to the human eye. The quality of the S9's screen is to be seen, the camera does not do it justice.

First off, the looks.
Mine is the titanium 16gb and it looks really nice, it's light. Now some people have said it is too light for it's size, I find it fine. It's all plastic (except the Corning Gorilla glass), though I like it quite a bit. The back is this curved dark brown/black matte finish which is pleasant looking. It features the reset button and the microphone hole.

The sides are also curved titanium looking finish. And if you haven't seen the front, it is an extremely attractive looking device. (this picture features the S9 with claw wallpaper UCI and anti glare screen protector)

The 3.3" screen fits flush with the rest of the body. Bottom left is the hidden USB connection, bottom right, is your ON/OFF, HOLD buttons and in between these is your headphone jack.

Top right is your skip track buttons, and top left is your dedicated volume buttons which are all very welcome in this design.

Dedicated buttons are a huge plus since you can disable touch screen controls when it's in your pocket and simply skip songs using the tactile ones without taking it out. The top middle protrusion acts as a pause/play button, very nice touch. I read a review on CNET that the reviewer complained that he would not be able to tell which buttons did which. This was a particularly ridiculous claim. I remembered after a day of use, and I can skip songs, pause/play and change volume without looking at the thing while it's in my pocket. Must apply for a job at CNET soon!

Next up, the interface.
There has been a huge amount of complaining in some reviews about the UI. I can see some of their points, but only if you’re a complete novice to the device, after that, it's very easy to navigate and I find myself flying through Artists, albums and songs in seconds flat. The double tap works just fine and takes very little time to get used to.

The look of the interface when browsing files is simple but effective, I can have no complaints, though it's not mind blowing. One of my favourite things about this PMP, is the "Now Playing" Screen. I have album art on all my songs, and such is the quality of the AMOLED screen, that they really jump out at you if you've used a high quality picture. There are many ways of skipping through tracks, all of them easy to do and very nicely planned, except the cover flow, which I have disabled (I'll come back to that). My favourite is the swipe left or right over the album art to skip songs, it works very well.
The way people are complaining about the interface gets to me a bit. The main complaint seems to come down to the fact that it doesn't mimic the Apple Touch's UI in every way. If you want to compare it to the touch, fine, but realize that the Cowon gives better sound and plays video more clearly, I have put them side by side, same video, same music, using the earphones that came with each of them. Cowon wins in that department. Those features are far more important do you not think?
All that being said, I like the Cowon UI anyway. There are plenty of user made UI’s that can be used instead of the Cowon ones, so if you don’t like the originals, then download another, or make one.

The sound and equalizers are hands down, the best of any mp3 player or PMP I've used. Now I work in a place that sells Ipods, Creatives, Samsung, Sandisk, Archos etc, you name it, we got it (except for Cowon players). I've used them all. The sound on the Cowon S9 genuinely out performs all the ones I've used in my shop. The BBE equalizer settings are especially recommended. I use the BBE Mach3Bass currently. And for those who want to know how loud it goes. I put a song onto an Ipod touch (Go with the flow by Qotsa) and the same one onto the Cowon. I could listen to it on the Touch on full volume. On the Cowon, the highest I could bear without it behind far too loud was 36 out of 40(At 33 or 34, it was the same as the Ipods max volume, but of better quality). Note that sound on any device depends on the quality of the tracks you put on it. I'm a fan of 320kbps on mp3 or wma. Or I sometimes have some FLAC too.

The video is of such a high quality. Most of my videos are Avi (Divx), so they all went straight on, no conversion needed. The video screen as the player is upright shows the video near the top, with the bit-rate and quality info and equalizer settings underneath it. Flip it on its side, and its fullscreen and widescreen. The quality must be seen to be believed, as clear as a bell. It's the framerate that impressed me so much though, no blurring. Incredibly smooth. I knew it would be good, just not that good! (pic shows the movie "The wrestler", such is the quality, you can really see what becoming a boxer did to Rourke's face.)

Synching my music from my PC was very easy, some folders I just copied straight on. Other times I just used WMP to sync it up. It didn't give me any trouble and such was my organization that all the album art came up, with no exceptions. Video was drag and drop too. I used the software that came with it. It's not bad, syncs up fine and converts automatically if necessary, though I think I'm just so used to WMP that I just wasn't too bothered with using the Cowon media centre. My music collection is very organized, so maybe this is why I didn't have the trouble other people have been having. Organize your album art and track numbers etc. before you put it on the player. I use mp3tag v2.42 for changes to tags and album art. This version of Mp3tag DOES support adding album art to FLAC.

Radio. This is something I've struggled to understand about some reviews since I got the player. I would have been forgiven in thinking that it would be useless based on them. However, I used it while travelling from Clonsilla to Maynooth (in Ireland, by no means a fantastic reception area) on the train and it scanned and stored all the stations just fine. It is clearer than my Zen Vision :M (R.I.P) and my Samsung YP-k3. So where did all the negativity come from about the radio? The interface for it is so cool, the virtual dial is so much fun it actually makes me use the radio more than I usually would.

Pictures and the rest, work as you would expect, you can view pics in full screen just like the videos and zoom in and out as you wish. The flash and utilities comes with nothing but a calculator as standard. I'm sure there will be more utilities to come. I've loaded some .SWF files myself from various places and they're very fun. Some puzzle games and bowling games work perfectly with the touch screen. Documents viewer works really nicely. You can change font size, select auto scroll, change the auto scroll speed and the background colour of your choice. Though the accelerometer has not been incorporated into this, and it would have been a very good idea to do so. However, it has been nicely done. Coverflow, I promised to get back to this, now I will. When on the "Now playing" screen in music, if you flip it on its side, (given that you have this function enabled) it will go into cover flow mode. Now it is utterly pointless in my view, and poorly done. It doesn't do Coverflow between different albums, it does it between all the songs in the album you have currently selected! I have no idea why they did this. Since the picture is just the same for all songs in an album, however it does give the song name. I disabled the accelerometer in music mode. It's just pointless. Once I disabled it though, I didn't need to worry about it.<?xml:namespace prefix = v /><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_2 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt; mso-wrap-style: square" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gif" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"> <v:imagedata o:title="cool" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cli p_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>! On top of it all, users have edited the music screen and removed Coverflow to give you a nice “now playing” screen when it flips. So the issue is really resolved.

That's about it I guess. I'll probably post this review in some other places. If you have any questions about the player, or feel I should add to this review. Let me know!

Comparison review is post #4.

-Sacramento.

Last edited by Sacramento; 04-19-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM

5 star review - thanks for sharing!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Thanks for working so hard on the review. Definately appreciate the opinion.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:15 PM

Cowon S9, Samsung P2, sony NWZ 828k and Apple Touch sound Test.

Right, So I got my hands on some good quality Senns this weekend. The dfkt recommended Sennheiser HD555's to test and compare the sound quality of a range of some of the most popular players on a level playing field. Here's the set-up....
From left; Cowon S9, Samsung P2, Sony NWZ 828k and the Apple Touch.

First up, the Cowon. I've already mentioned the stellar sound quality of the S9 before in my detailed review. But with the HD555's, it really does thunder through the head. I had some off my friends listen to it, because at first I couldn't think of a way to describe just how good the sound on this thing is. We all agreed on the aforementioned term, "thundering". Acoustic tunes are clean and clear and basey tones are perfectly balanced which is a very difficult quality to find in a portable player once you reach the very high volumes. Hands down, the best sounding player I've ever used, I didn't want to stop listening to it once I'd started. Here it is with the Senns:

Next up, The Samsung P2. I've had access to this player for a while, but never really spent enough time to appreciate just how much effort Samsung put into making this a great sounding device. It did very very well with all the songs I played on it, really enjoyed it. Considering it will be updated with the P3 very soon, people should have great reason to be excited about it. Bass tones did begin to top out at the very highest volume, but by then listening was getting uncomfortable, so down one step in volume and it was perfectly within it's capabilities. Impressive stuff. With the Senns:

Now, the Sony NWZ 828k. Ignore the silly name, Sony have really cleaned up their act after some shiny mediocre players bundled with some terrible software. This player was very close behind the P2 in terms of sound, matching it mostly to be honest. On the level playing field with the HD555's, the blind test proved it almost impossible to tell whether I was listening to it, or the P2. No easy feat for many players out there. As with the P2, it sounded well in all tones, and while being slightly quieter, it never went beyond it's own capabilities in the high volumes and kept everything well balanced even as we reached the "too loud to listen to" volumes.

Last, and least. The Apple Touch. Interface, fantastic. Multitude of features, best there is. Sound Quality, mediocre.... How do they manage to do this? I'm beginning to believe that after the interface and such had been researched, perfected and paid for, there wasn't a whole lot of money left to concentrate on the sound quality. Audiophiles concur around the world that the Ipods fall short when it comes to the originally, and still widely considered, most important feature of having good quality portable music. The quietest of all the players I've tried out in this comparison test, it tends to sound hollow when the music should really have more substance to it. Bass tones (in some equalizers I tried in a vain attempt to counter-act hollowness) are over done in such a way that you begin to think it was purposefully done to cover up for it's acoustic shortcomings. Not what it should be on a very nice looking and feature rich piece of equipment. Here it is:

All said and done (if you haven't already realized) the order of sound quality in which I rate these players is
1st: Cowon S9
2nd: Samsung P2
3rd(A very close one at that): Sony NWZ 828k
4th: Apple Touch

I also (mostly for fun) did a blind test in which I listened to the same song on each of the players as one of my friends plugged a different player in without letting me know which one. I could easily pick out the high quality Cowon S9 and and the mediocre Apple Touch every time without fail. However, I had real difficulty differentiating between the Sony and the Samsung.
So there you have it, the even playing field courtesy of the Sennheiser HD555 headphones. Feel free to give me your input. Agree? Disagree? Let me know.

*Side note, all pictures taken with Canon EOS 40D.

-Sacramento

Last edited by Sacramento; 02-17-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:31 PM

Excellent post, thanks a lot, Sacramento.

Did you use all players without EQ/enhancements?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:58 PM

I used them with and without. For the blind test, no equalizers were allowed.
For comparison from player to player, without. For overall rating of an individual one, I used the best sounding equalizer on the specific player.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:14 AM

Great Review mate!

Here are a few points I would like to add/discuss:

I too, like that chap on CNET have trouble figuring out which button to press when wanting to change the volume. Sometimes I press the next track button and then have to fiddle with the controls again to get back to the song I was listening to. The Volume and Track buttons are exactly the same and when the player is in your pocket you can press the wrong button when quickly trying to up the volume listening to your fav track. It would have been nice, IMO, if the had put the next/back buttons either side of the play/pause button and the volume controls on the side of the player. And since the 3.5mm jack is in the centre, it offers no clues as to which side is which and I have to feel for the curve/screen and then try and recall what button to press to achive my desired function, while trying to stay lost in the song I'm listening to

The headphone jack is locted right in the middle, and this suits me just fine (in fact I like it better) but this hampers with the ease of use of the hold/off switch. It is pretty darn difficult to use the switch with one hand(This has been mentioned in the official ABi review, and it's more relevant than you would think.)

The player feels too light, and feels delicate. I had used the Sony A726 for a couple of weeks before getting the S9 and that felt a lot better in my hands. I find myself not being able to grip the player firmly and I think this has to do with the fact that I try and avoid touching the screen as much as possible cause I dont want to accidentally change the song etc and also because it feels a bit fragile(not that it is). Even when you push the hold switch, you generally avoid trying to touch the screen and also avoid touching the tactile controls to not change anything!

I know this issue of the weight/feel of the player has been discussed to great lenghts, but here's my (finicky) take on it anyway

On the pictures screen, the player creates and shows you a thumbnail of every single picture file it recognizes instead of letting you view just the fles in the /pictures folder or letting you view thumbnails for individual folders. Since it displays all the pics at one time browsing your pics takes a lot more time than it should(courtesy the player taking time to load and display the next set of thumbnails) and can be a bit cumbersome

Let me get this straight, it does let you browse individual folders, but without thumbnails so you might have trouble finding what you're looking for. Hopefully this may get sorted with a future firmware upgrade. Or it might not.

On the plus side, it does lot even large resolution pics very well, and the zoom feature is very easy and effective. If you would like to disable the header and footer that appear whenever you view and image, there is a patch made by a fellow ABi member which works great.

Also, I haven't quite figured out a way to get the player to display the file info for pics. Maybe this will also be sorted in an update.

No customization of the menus, ie, for n00bs like me who know eff all bout flash. I'm hardly going to sulk about this, but it would have been nice to display a picture of your choice on the home screen(I had a great one all ready ) and to be able to play around with the icons a bit.

Flash support isn't that great. I've tried a few flash files and it plays some great and some very slow or not at all. I thought this might something to do with the size of the flash files, but thats not the case as it played some files of 4mb, but didn't a few that were under 3mb. Also, you can't change the orientation of the flash player, whatever file you open, opens in widescreen.

My biggest source/cause of disappointment with the player was the fact that it did not display my tracks in the order thay were numbered. Something as simple as this should not even have to be brought up but alas, when you view all the songs of an artist, they will be sorted alphabetically. Sometimes viewing the songs of an individual album sorts them by track number, but not always. Awful.

All the buttons on the bottom of the now playing screen can get very confusing. There is no text to help you understand what does what, and it is a bit annoying that you have to sit with a user's guide to figure out what they are for, even if it's just once.

Also, I've dropped the player a few times, never screen facing downwards thankfully, and there wasn't so much as a scratch on the player. Dropped on a stone floor from a height of about 3 ft.

Of course, all the views are strictly IMO and some might think I'm nitpicking or being finicky, but these are a few things I came across while using the player, just thought I'd share.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 AM

And also, I was (for some reason) skeptical of a 3.3 inch widescreen as I'd seen the itouch screen and liked the resolution a lot. I know this sounds cliche(it's been said so many times before), but the video on the screen has to be seen to be believed. The resolution works great even if you convert videos with that had a 4:3 aspect ratio; and watching movies is a pleasure.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sacramento, that has to be 1 of the best portable player comparisons I've ever read!!!! And the review, I agree, is 5 star!!! damn, now I really need to get me an S9, or the very least a P3. Once again, thanks for the excellence!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 AM

Sacramento, thanx for the great review. Reading it sounds almost like listening to the voice of the guy from advancedmp3players reviews. And he is really good.

Now, I ordered a 16GB S9 while still keeping my 16GB P2 in order to be able to actually compare the sound on both machines and decide which one I am getting rid of... and there you come and do this for me.. Thanx again. Great photos btw. Cheers!

Jabra BT620s

Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 AM

Sacramento thankyou for such a superb review.
Ive been going between getting a D2 or S9 for the last 2 weeks and youve just made up my mind on the 16GB S9!!Now if its back in stock on thursday ill hopefully have it for the weekend.

Need to pick up new earphones too to replace my old CX300's, would you recommend the HS555's that you used in the test?

Nathan

Old 01-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Cynic, really appreciate giving your opinions, you are entitled to them of course!
I can help you out with the song order issue you are having (point #7 in your post).

You can add track numbers album art to any album on your computer using the program Mp3tag v2.42.
-If you have an album on your Cowon that you want album art on or want to edit in any way, remove it from the device.
-Edit it on your PC using MP3tag.
-Highlight all files you want to add any info to.
-Once your done editing, click; file>save tag (if you do not do this, your changes will not be saved).
-Transfer it back onto your Cowon S9.

The whole reason it doesn't see the order in which your tracks appear on your PC is because of the type of tags the Cowon reads. "Mp3 V2" I believe(correct me if wrong). Using Mp3tag v2.42 will fix it. Since it's your main gripe about the player.

That did the trick for me. Hope it does for you.

Natty15d
The Hd555's have great sound quality, but they aren't really portable friendly due to their large design. If you had Cx300's before, you might want to stay with something that size in the Sennheiser range. Dfkt would be the man to ask about portable headphones, he knows his stuff.

Everyone else who replied and complimented my review and comparison, thanks very much! I've worked with digital devices since I was a wee lad and I'd love one of those CNET editors jobs! I always try to give a fair and unbiased review.

Keep those questions/comments coming!

-Sacramento

Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 PM

Excellent comparison, Sacramento...

The HD555s have a pretty neutral sound sig and can be driven by portable players relatively well un-amped, I use mine for listening to my P2 most of the time. Now all I need is the other three players for my own little comparison fest.

A future repeat of this test, of the S9, P3 and X1000.. would make a nice follow up.
Thanks for all the great info and hard work!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM

I'll be getting my hands on them soon enough, watch this space in the next month or two.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Glad I picked up an S9, loved and it plays everything I throw at it. It just rocks

Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Er....I have a question totaly unrelated, those of you who ordered the S9 off of Amazon.com. Usps....how do they operate..I never ordered off of Amazon...Fedex was pretty cool kept me on track with were my product was at, at all times. On Amazon it's showing that the S9 left the factory and is 'in transit' does that mean it's coming to my house.......or another factory in my state and then to my house....also if I miss it where do I go to pick up. All I'm getting is the run-a-round on the phone and automated women who sounds like she's soaking in jucuzzi so.....any help plz....

Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The prob w/USPS is that you really can't track a package, you can only wait for it to arrive. Really nothing we can help you with.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The prob w/USPS is that you really can't track a package, you can only wait for it to arrive. Really nothing we can help you with.

Usps sucks luckily I receieved my S9 today thx though.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 PM

wow very nice review and comparison.. Sorry I was late with this.. anyways.. as I said very nice.. but in my opinion the sony sounds better than the p2.. but I respect ur opinion.. and I enjoyed reading ur post ... I have the hd555s as well their great

PS: WOW the s9 is really giving me headaches on what will be my next player.. s9 or X1000

Old 03-29-2009, 02:03 PM
General Audio Moderator

Very good listening test review... The hd-555 are a perfect match for the S9 and the D2 without the hassle of using an amp.