android
Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Modes

What are the modes that the fuze can be palced in and what is each used for?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Do you mean the USB modes? There are just 2 (MSC, MTP). MTP is a Microsoft protocol that is supposed to give you extra functionality over MSC with Windows (but I'm not sure if it really does, since I don't use this mode or WMP). I noticed, though, that Windows is doing crazy stuff with the files during the process of copying them to the player, like renaming and setting them as hidden, etc.

MSC is the standard USB storage protocol, that works with like all operating systems.

Basically, IMO, MTP is more or less for novice users that are using Windows Mediaplayer for syncing their stuff and MSC is for those, that want to have more control over the process and prefer to not have Windows messing around with their files.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe that MTP is more playlist-friendly, for people that like to have multiple playlists on their device.

On a related note....this most recent firmware update makes the "GoList" so much faster and easier to use that even I have used it a little bit with the Fuze. You now can add either an entire album or all an artist's albums to the GoList with a push of one button. So for example the other day when I wanted to hear my Radiohead catalogue in chronological order, I added each album to the list, in the proper order. If I had hit play all Radiohead, the albums would have played in alphabetical order. And I made a 3 band, 8 album list to shuffle through the next day....in about a minute.

Back to the original topic....unless you make a lot of playlists on the computer that you want to add to your player, or you are using a Rhapsody-type subscription service, MSC is generally the way to go....hands down.

Oh, there is an "Auto-Detect" mode....but this will just lead to confusion, because it usually goes in the MTP direction, but not always....but files put on the device in one mode are not visible in the other mode.....so basically decide which mode you want to use, format the device to clear everything out, then set your mode of choice.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 AM

You are on the right track towards what I am attempting to learn ZickZack. So the two modes: MSC and MTP are protocols that windows uses to plut files on the player. Did not know that when this discussion first started out. Is MTP a proprietary microsoft protocol? I would assume that its proprietary since that's seems to be the way Microsoft does business. What features does it add over MSC mode? Is MSC for WMP only? I would assume that it is, again this is the way microsoft tends to do business. Which mode does the player default to? When would I want to use MSC and when would I want to use MTP? Personally I tend to put the tracks onto the player using Windows Explorer (not internet explorer), I tend to use the player as USB drive which tends to be simply peachy with the Zune. Which is most suited to individuals like me that tend to use a manual approach to puting tracks on the player? What are the menu picks for changing the operating mode between the two protocols?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
You are on the right track towards what I am attempting to learn ZickZack. So the two modes: MSC and MTP are protocols that windows uses to plut files on the player. Did not know that when this discussion first started out. Is MTP a proprietary microsoft protocol? I would assume that its proprietary since that's seems to be the way Microsoft does business. What features does it add over MSC mode? Is MSC for WMP only? I would assume that it is, again this is the way microsoft tends to do business. Which mode does the player default to? When would I want to use MSC and when would I want to use MTP? Personally I tend to put the tracks onto the player using Windows Explorer (not internet explorer), I tend to use the player as USB drive which tends to be simply peachy with the Zune. Which is most suited to individuals like me that tend to use a manual approach to puting tracks on the player? What are the menu picks for changing the operating mode between the two protocols?
MTP is Media Transfer Protocol....a Windows thing, I do believe. MSC is not for WMP only....it's pretty much universal. It stands for Mass Storage Class....basically makes your player appear as a USB storage device to just about any operating sytem. The Fuze and Clip default is "Auto-Detect", which I mentioned in my previous post. The methods you are describing in how you add your music leads me to believe that you'd be best served with MSC mode.
Quote:
Back to the original topic....unless you make a lot of playlists on the computer that you want to add to your player, or you are using a Rhapsody-type subscription service, MSC is generally the way to go....hands down.

Oh, there is an "Auto-Detect" mode....but this will just lead to confusion, because it usually goes in the MTP direction, but not always....but files put on the device in one mode are not visible in the other mode.....so basically decide which mode you want to use, format the device to clear everything out, then set your mode of choice.
To change your mode is simple, assuming your firmware is up to date. Settings->System Settings->USB mode.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:07 AM

In what situation would I best be severd by the MTP mode?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
In what situation would I best be severd by the MTP mode?
If you were using a music subscription service, like Rhapsody, you'd have to use MTP.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM

MTP (media transfer protocol) is a Microsoft proprietary protocol used by Windows Media Player to communicate with portable devices. It's primary purpose is to support DRM protected files (Rhapsody, etc.). With MTP you're pretty much stuck using WMP. There is some 3rd party support for MTP, but most aren't great and all still rely on drivers shipped with WMP. Also, MTP is either not available or poorly supported on Mac and Linux.

MSC (mass storage class) is the standard protocol used by all USB storage devices (flash drives, external hard drives, etc.). In this mode the Fuze appears just like any other flash drive. This is by far the most flexible option in terms of available tools and OS support. However, DRM is not supported. So if you use Rhapsody or other subscription services you're stuck with MTP.

Playlists are suppoted under both modes. MTP uses WMP-style .pla playlists. MSC uses Winamp-style .m3u playlists.

I use MSC exclusively and use playlists as my main playback method.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM

Suppose I prefer MSC for my own music, but would like the possibility of using the subscription service Audible.com in future? I could switch over and just use MTP for that purpose, while continuing to maintain my own music with MSC, couldn't I?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM

Now for a discussion of DRM (Digital Rights Maangement), it is my understanding that DRM is a program used by music publishers to manage the way their customers use their product. But has turned into a method by which music producers can determine what you do with their product once you purchase it. It has also become a method by which music producers criple their product so that it becomes less useful to their customers. I understand that Apple has stopped selling DRM products. This gives me reason to believe that even the middle men in this process believe that DRM is not a good idea.