android
Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 AM

Default Does the P3 have Gapless?

Because that is a important feature to me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Good question, this is of interest to me as well.

I bought and loved the P2 which was purchased based on the review by Grahm Skee (it was the chincher). The fact that the P2 cannot do gapless was egregiously left out.

I listen to tecnho and bnb a lot. Result, I returned it for a restocking fee.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 PM

Probably not... Korean manufacturers rigorously ignore the community's plea for gapless.

The only players that have gapless at the moment are all Rockboxed ones, Zune, iPod, Trekstor Vibez, Rio (discontinued).

Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 AM

yes, while that may be true, Samsung did release a gapless firmware for one of their older players, the K5 I think? So they've done it before, I just hope they do it again.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 AM

So...anyone with a P3 know if there's gapless playback or not? For me, it's going to be the deciding factor between a P3 and an S9 (if P3 has gapless, it wins)

Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 AM

No, it doesn't. If it had gapless, there would have been quite some celebrations and festivities. Or hell would have frozen over.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 AM

Samsung: FAIL. One less sale for you.

(Yes, I know the S9 doesn't have gapless either, but it's got better sound, screen, battery life, etc. going for it)

Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
Samsung: FAIL. One less sale for you.

(Yes, I know the S9 doesn't have gapless either, but it's got better sound, screen, battery life, etc. going for it)
Doesn't have better sound- it's as good, but not better.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 AM

It has better sound enhancements, at least.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
It has better sound enhancements, at least.
I like BBE+ but find that Clarity does this as well in the P3.. It's hard to find a DAP with more sound enhancements than the P3 but most of them are pointless imo.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:23 AM

Word on the street (hahaha always wanted to say that) is that the S9 beats out the P3 in sound quality and enhancements, but just barely. I can't remember where I read this, but I believe the S9 has a stronger power output than the P3 too, and I need to be driving cans without use of an amp. The disparity in battery life is pretty hard to argue with though.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
Word on the street (hahaha always wanted to say that) is that the S9 beats out the P3 in sound quality and enhancements, but just barely. I can't remember where I read this, but I believe the S9 has a stronger power output than the P3 too, and I need to be driving cans without use of an amp. The disparity in battery life is pretty hard to argue with though.

I've heard them both- and the P7, and I favour the P3.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 AM

My money stays parked in my bank until someone can be arsed to provide gapless.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:02 PM

I don't get it. What's the freaking big deal with gapless playback ?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:04 PM

If you don't get it - don't worry about it.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzey View Post
yes, while that may be true, Samsung did release a gapless firmware for one of their older players, the K5 I think? So they've done it before, I just hope they do it again.
I have the YP-Z5 in a drawer somewhere. They did it for that via a firmware update. If they can do it for that, there's no reason they can't for the P3.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
If you don't get it - don't worry about it.
I know what gapless is, but I don't get why it makes or breaks a player. So there's a fraction of a second between songs, is that really horrific? Does it really worsen your listening experience? I don't think so, but I guess I'm in the minority.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL3001 View Post
I know what gapless is, but I don't get why it makes or breaks a player. So there's a fraction of a second between songs, is that really horrific? Does it really worsen your listening experience? I don't think so, but I guess I'm in the minority.
Yes it is horrific! Try listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon without gapless playback. To me, it's so bad I would prefer not to listen to it.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Ok I may sound like a cold heart bastard, but you know that if you feel that strong about this, there is some rippers (like Easy cd-da extractor) or mp3 merger which can produce a glorious single-non-stop mp3 file from multiples tracks. Just in case you weren't aware.
I don't think you have to pass on a good player for just that. Sorry, that's only my humble opinion man

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by armagedon View Post
Ok I may sound like a cold heart bastard, but you know that if you feel that strong about this, there is some rippers (like Easy cd-da extractor) or mp3 merger which can produce a glorious single-non-stop mp3 file from multiples tracks. Just in case you weren't aware.
I don't think you have to pass on a good player for just that. Sorry, that's only my humble opinion man
No, that doesn't work that well because an album would be impossible to be categorized properly. I used to do this myself using EAC until I started using Rockbox and other players that provide gapless playback. Besides, this is the 21st century, and it should be included in all DAPs.