android
Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 PM

Just sounds like a useless/pointless feature, just seems some people just need something to complain about right?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-30-2009, 01:37 AM

No it is not a useless feature. I've thought about buying an iPod a few just because it has gapless. I have plenty of live albums and other songs that require gapless. It just kind of ruins the effect when that little gap comes, and is quite a nuisance.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuked View Post
Just sounds like a useless/pointless feature, just seems some people just need something to complain about right?
Sorry but some of us listen to our music as shocking as it may seem to you, we want the playback of our music to be not only of a high quality but the playback to be the way it was intended and the idea of being forced to have a gap in the middle of continuous music begins to get very annoying. Sadly my player of some 5 years had the ability of doing gapless thus I'm totally use to it.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuked View Post
No need to insult everyone who likes gapless playback.

Anyone who finds it pointless would not understand why those of us who like it need it. Thats like saying you don't get why people need tampons just because you don't use them(provided your a guy), but they are definately useful to some. Most of the music I listen to blends into each other so gapless is a must for me personally. A lot of players without gapless have more than just a fraction of a second of time in between songs. Particularly audiophiles love gapless, because we like to have the highest quality sound when we listen to music, and having a gap is hindering that high quality we want.

Is it so bad some people like a specific feature to be in their players? If you said you had to have wifi in your player, then I said its a pointless and dumb feature, that just doesn't sound right. We all have a selection of features that is unique to everyone. Just because somebody wants a feature that you don't want, doesn't make that feature stupid.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:53 PM

I respect people opinion on the subject but aren't we splitting hair in 4 here. I check it and we are talking about 1~2 seconds between songs. Beside almost all songs terminate on a few seconds fade out cue anyway. Every live performance have breaks between songs (poor artists force to play non stop for 2 hours for those gapless lovers !) Also, in order to have true gapless, you'll have to edit every file and remove all normal silent at the beginning and the end. That's a bit overboard because the P3 is a terrific player and if the manufs haven't bother with that feature, it's because it's unnecessary for most and depend on way many other factors.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armagedon View Post
Also, in order to have true gapless, you'll have to edit every file and remove all normal silent at the beginning and the end.
Two words for you: Pink Floyd.

That's just one example of many artists where the beginning and ends of the song tracks don't necessarily have a gap in the audio on the original recording. A 1-2 second gap halfway through a bar of music is awful.

Another two words: classical music

And no, you don't have to edit the files to remove the gap because there isn't a "normal" gap and never was -- it's a flaw in the player firmware that stops to cache the next song and it's easy to fix. The manufacturers just don't.

If you don't have any music that's affected, that's good for you, but for people that do, it can be a major issue.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:53 PM

I think Nicole that we are worlds apart but that's call personal choice ... No good or bad here.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armagedon View Post
Also, in order to have true gapless, you'll have to edit every file and remove all normal silent at the beginning and the end.
No, you got it completely wrong, what you wrote is false. CDs have special markers for gaps, and any proper ripping app takes care of those.

Any player could be gapless without any special treatment of the files if it just had a decent firmware: Vorbis, AAC, FLAC, etc are gapless by default, and so are new versions of the LAME MP3 codec. You don't have to do anything special to play the albums without any gaps - as they're supposed to be played. It's just that all companies besides Apple, MS/Zune, Rio, Trekstor, and of course Rockbox are too (lazy, stupid?) to make proper firmwares. I'm enjoying gapless on my Rockboxed Cowon X5 and Sansa Clip - and there's no excuse why those players' original firmwares can't do it.

Not to mention almost every (decent) software player on your computer is gapless as well: Winamp, Foobar, etc.

You might read up a bit here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Gapless before you spread any more misinformation.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM

Sorry Dfkt, we don't live in a perfect world. All the files I have, more or less legal and even legal Itunes purchased songs have +/- silences IN the file at each ends but mostly at the end, even full second (confirm by edition) They are meant to be there too. Even if players are gapless, they wait until the file is finished, so you will get those.
But if 1 or 2 seconds of silence is unbearable to you, that's your problem man.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:03 PM

You have absolutely no clue about how gapless playback works, but you still seem to have a strong opinion about it nevertheless. It's pretty obvious considering the statement of yours I quoted above. And you chose to deliberately ignore the facts I presented. You might try to inform yourself before you speak up, because - in all honesty - it really makes no sense and doesn't contribute to the discussion at all.

Tracks that are supposed to have gaps in between will also have them with a gapless-capable player. Gapless just means gaps are avoided between tracks where they shouldn't be (live albums, concept albums, etc). Normal albums of course will be played normally, with gaps as they're intended to be.

Some of my players are gapless and they play gapless albums as they're supposed to be played. Did you not read that in my post above? And they also play albums with pauses in between just fine, the way they're meant to be played as well. Gapless players don't merge tracks willy-nilly, they of course respect gaps where there should be some.

So please, stop spreading your ignorance. You have absolutely no idea about how gapless works. That's just not helping anybody. Read the HydrogenAudio link I posted before you post anything else about a topic you don't know anything about.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:47 PM

I totally understand what it's all about but considering that your face is probably as red as your icon and aggressive as you are, there is no point in continuing this. So enjoy your life without silences.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 PM

I will enjoy my music, no worries. And you better stop posting misleading nonsense about stuff you a) have no clue about and b) are not interested in anyways. It doesn't affect you in any way.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

My best definition of gapless playback. Music played back exactly the way the artist intended.

I think the term gaplaee playback throws people off in them thinking all songs should be played this way. Perhaps there should be a new term called true playback?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:54 AM

I can understand how important gapless may be to some, but when weighed with all the other features of the P3 (and there's a LOT of 'em!), is it really such a deal breaker? One Con out of so many Pro's.
I will be surprised if Samsung don't include the feature in a future firmware update anyway. They've done it before.

You could just rip the gapless album into one gapless track
Or join several tracks into one with a higher bitrate to avoid loss, or FLAC to avoid loss altogether.

Just my $0.02

Old 05-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Samsung Moderator

Why would someone want an awkward workaround like that? That's silly.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Why would someone want an awkward workaround like that? That's silly.
If you say so...

Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragbat View Post
I can understand how important gapless may be to some, but when weighed with all the other features of the P3 (and there's a LOT of 'em!), is it really such a deal breaker? One Con out of so many Pro's.
I will be surprised if Samsung don't include the feature in a future firmware update anyway. They've done it before.

You could just rip the gapless album into one gapless track
Or join several tracks into one with a higher bitrate to avoid loss, or FLAC to avoid loss altogether.

Just my $0.02
Agreed. Personally, I still don't care for gapless, this player has plenty of features that appeal to me besides it, but it's interesting to see the fervor about it.

JL3001

Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 PM

just inserting my 2 cents here

I have the p3 and I listen to a LOT of live albums, the gap is a bit more noticeable than on the creative ZEN (though the ZEN isn't gapless as far as I know), but I find that unless you are really really paying attention throughout the album, then the gap isn't as annoying and you can kind of forgive this one flaw...'cause the p3 is pretty damn good otherwise...

Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL3001 View Post
Agreed. Personally, I still don't care for gapless, this player has plenty of features that appeal to me besides it, but it's interesting to see the fervor about it.

JL3001
The reason you are agreeing is that gapless playback is not that important to you. If it was a top priority you would vehemency disagree like the way I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhalfim View Post
just inserting my 2 cents here

I have the p3 and I listen to a LOT of live albums, the gap is a bit more noticeable than on the creative ZEN (though the ZEN isn't gapless as far as I know), but I find that unless you are really really paying attention throughout the album, then the gap isn't as annoying and you can kind of forgive this one flaw...'cause the p3 is pretty damn good otherwise...
In today's modern world music that is not played back accurately is totally inexcusable. The Rio Karma had this implemented many yeas ago, and that was on the hardware level.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 PM

just out of curiosity what player actually do have this feature (gapless) i have yet to see it on any player, certainly never had it on any of mine ..does sansa spport it??