android
Old 01-28-2009, 05:44 AM

Help Album art dimensions?

Hello all

I am very pleased with my Fuze in general, but album art reproduction could be a bit better. The Fuze seems to resize album to to whatever size it wants, but puts an ugly uneven black border round a lot of album art images if they are not precisely the size it looks for.

I'd like to resize all my album art through a batch process to make it quick, but I need to know what the perfect dimensions are that the Fuze will display without the border.

I have one album that I'm aware of which displays without a black border at all (the image goes right to the edge) but lots of them display either with an even black border (which is okay) or an uneven one, which looks rubbish.

If anyone has any idea this would be really useful to complete the polish of the machine!

-mel

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2009, 12:53 PM

Somebody figured this out and posted it on the official forums (http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...d.id=sansafuse). I don't remember what it was, but I'm sure you'll find it if you search over there.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

This is the best I could find:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...cending&page=1

but it gives no definitive answer

I really don't like the way the Fuze resizes art; it should stick to what it's good at

Old 01-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Zickzackmann figured out that it's 120x120.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=35130

Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Yep, thats true. I just tested with 121x121 sized images to see if the partial black border would disappear (since that would be the resolution when counting the 2 black lines in), as the thread starter stated, he had seen an image without border and I wanted to make sure, the images are not resized in some crazy way, that would cause these black lines on the right and lower side of the image to be generated at 120x120.

The result was, the black lines were 2 pixels in width and not 1 pixel in width as with 120x120. So I think there is indeed a very strange way used by the player to do the resizing - but until proven wrong, I still believe 120x120 is the optimum and that you can't get rid of the pseudo-border.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM

I think that black border on two sides is a poor man's drop shadow. I think if your art is not square or does not resize evenly to 120x120 is when you end up with extra width on one or both of the boarders.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:04 PM

Hey, this is actually a good explanation - a drop shadow didn't come to my mind yet. But I can't describe how poor the outcome of that effect would be .

Aww well - I won't use this firmware for much longer anyway (I hope).

Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 AM

It turns out the album art which displayed without the border was 200x200, embedded into the file.

So I edited some others to be 200x200, but just made them folder.jpg files in the relevant directory, and stripped the embedded art from the files.

The border appears :/

It's weird but I'm bored of playing with it. Hopefully this will be standardised/improved in a subsquent firmware

Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just looked at some of mine that work....I had an MP3 album with no art, and WMP added the small one for the list browsing...at 75x69, and the "big" one as 200x186. Then I looked at an Ogg Vorbis file that I ripped with MediaMonkey, and the art came in as 303x300, with a black border. As ZickZack knows, I don't worry much about this, but I figured it was worth sharing a couple that actually do work for me. I don't know if this helps you guys out or not though.