android
Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 PM

Default What is a playlist?

I load several CD's onto my Fuze (or whatever). I can play them in sequence or at random, I also load downloaded tracks onto it. At what point do I have to make a playlist? Why do I need to make a playlist? What is a playlist?

Is it a way to defeat the IDtags that are already attached to most downloaded tracks? With the IDtags, all songs by a particular artist or genre tend to play together. But if I want to group certain songs together, and that are from different artists and albums and would therefore never play together as chosen by the audio player, AND without tampering with the existing tag information, do I make a playlist consisting of these songs?

Is this what playlists are? Please explain.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 PM

You are essentially correct. It's a list of files to play, regardless of what genre/album/artist they might be. You could do one for when you're happy, one for when you're sad, etc. You might have an artist that you like some of their songs on some of their albums, but not others; you could do a list of your favorite songs by that artist, across all their albums, a sort of personal, "Greatest Hits" list.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM

A playlist, or in the Fuze's parlance, a go list is a list of tracks that you want to play in a specific order each time you activate the go list feature. Its sort of a lsit of the best tracks that you have on your fuze.

You would create your go list after you have all of the tracks loaded on the fuze.

You would use a go list becasue there are a few tracks that you like more than any of the others, sort of a greatest hits of your MP3 library.

What is a go list - answered above.

IDTags - no its not a way to defeat that.

Grouping tracks - yes

Old 01-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Does the Fuze support multiple playlists, besides the Go List? The Go List seems to be something that can be created on the device, whereas other playlists might be created on a PC and copied over later.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:19 PM

Gosh, this playlist concept might resolve one thing I noticed: I burned a CD that had a bunch of tracks from 1 artist, plus a few from some other artists, and I think of this set of music as a coherent whole. But because of the inconsistent tags, these songs are "dispersed" on the Fuze, and don't play together. By making a playlist of these same tracks (and without editing the IDtag information), I can have them appear as a coherent group on my Fuze. Cool.

Can I have have several playlists on the Fuze?

Old 01-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Can you skip around within a playlist (on the Fuze)?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Sure, if you push the >> button, when a song is playing that you don't want to hear.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:14 PM

And yeah you can have multiple playlists on the Fuze.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 PM

Cool. Now, how do I make a playlist, for a Fuze? I need detailed directions. Anybody?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From another thread

Quote:
There's a couple of threads on Playlists. One in the Clip section, and one in the Fuze section. Read them both. You shouldn't have any problems. It's all in where you store the playlist. It worked for me without reading any threads.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=39247
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=39119

WRT, the Media Converter. I "now nothingk" about the E260R. I would guess that updating to a newer version might be a good idea. But plug your Fuze in, and see if your media converter recognizes it.

Steve
There are a few threads on Fuze playlists. Personally I found it quite easy.

Steve

Old 01-30-2009, 09:32 PM

Your links don't work. If it's easy, it should be easy to explain. Please tell me how you did it, step by step, without directing me to another post.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticusLX View Post
Your links don't work. If it's easy, it should be easy to explain. Please tell me how you did it, step by step, without directing me to another post.
Looking thru the forum for the relevant thread would have got you the answer last night.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 PM

Default Making a playlist for the Fuze with MediaMonkey

Here is a method that works for me, using the Fuze in MSC mode.

1st. I get music into the Fuze using drag-and-drop with Windows Explorer, or with MediaMonkey. So, in Fuze I have it stored in the scheme:
\Music\artist\album\individual cuts

2nd In Media Monkey note carefully that in the tree box at the left that there are entries like this (your drive letters will differ):

Now Playing
Library
Playlists <--ignore this entry--it is for playlist to play on your computer
Podcast Subscriptions
(J:) Removeable Disk
(Q:) SANSA FUZE <--ignore this for purposes of playlist making!
My Computer <--find this!
..C:
..D:
. . . .
..Q:\ [SANSA FUZE] <-- this is the one you want
....All
....AUDIBLE
....AUDIO BOOKS
....MUSIC <-- Step 4
....PHOTO
....Playlists <--Step 3
....PODCASTS
....RECORD
....VIDEO

3. OK, right click Playlists (Step 3) just above, choose "new m3u playlist", and name the new playlist, say "Water Music"

Now you will have

My Computer
..Q: [Sansa Fuze]
....Playlists
......Water Music

4. Click on Music (under My Computer), then subfolders to get to the cuts you want in your playlist. Select and drag them to your new Playlist, Water Music in this example.

Done! Your playlist will be kept in the Fuze's Playlist directory, and will be read by Fuze when you go >Music >Playlists.

The main thing is that it is essential to pick the Sansa Fuze listed second, that is the one under the My Computer, not the one up above!

Now that you have a playlist, you can click on the Playlists entry in MediaMonkey (below My Computer ... Sansa Fuze) and easily delete unwanted entries, or rearrange the order of the tracks.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
How about doing a little work and finding the information yourself, instead of demanding help from others? Just a thought.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 AM

This is the easiest way I know to create playlists in MSC mode:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...496#post321496

Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhantazm View Post
How about doing a little work and finding the information yourself, instead of demanding help from others? Just a thought.
The forums allow us to work together, sweetie. Here's what somebody else sent me, and works very well, though variations exist.

WINDOWS XP
1) Set Fuze to MSC mode, under Settings.
2)
Attach Fuze to PC, and open Fuze in Windows Explorer. Tracks intended for the playlist should be placed on the Fuze now, in the Music folder or subfolders, if not already. Tracks intended for the same playlist should be in the same folder or subfolder.
3) Select first file to be in playlist, and open in Winamp.
4) add remaining songs to winamp (using drag n drop).
5) arrange songs in winamp until they are in desired order
6) use "save playlist" to save the playlist to the Fuze ( gray box bottom right side, use the Save List option, depending on your version of Winamp), and save to the same subfolder on the Fuze, in the Music folder, that the files in the playlist just made are located.

Access the playlist under Playlist on the Fuze, and move from track to track as desired. You can save many playlists this way.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticusLX

Originally Posted by fhantazm
Quote:
The forums allow us to work together, sweetie.
That^^ implies that both parties are doing some work....as opposed to demanding a step-by-step from someone else, after berating them because their links didn't work. I thought fhantasm made a valid point

Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
The forums allow us to work together, sweetie. Here's what somebody else sent me, and works very well, though variations exist.

WINDOWS XP
2)
Attach Fuze to PC, and open Fuze in Windows Explorer. Tracks intended for the playlist should be placed on the Fuze now, in the Music folder or subfolders, if not already. Tracks intended for the same playlist should be in the same folder or subfolder.
3) Select first file to be in playlist, and open in Winamp.
4) add remaining songs to winamp (using drag n drop).
5) arrange songs in winamp until they are in desired order
6) use "save playlist" to save the playlist to the Fuze ( gray box bottom right side, use the Save List option, depending on your version of Winamp), and save to the same subfolder on the Fuze, in the Music folder, that the files in the playlist just made are located.

Access the playlist under Playlist on the Fuze, and move from track to track as desired. You can save many playlists this way.
Okay, let me throw a question in on this: When you save the playlist from Winamp to the Fuze, will it move/copy the music files to the Fuze also, or will the music files need to moved over separately?

Nevermind, I just re-read the instructions, and you said to move the music files over before anything else. Okay, I'll go hide in my shadowy corner again. :-)

Old 02-05-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
WINDOWS XP
2)
If point 2 is correct, this method is much inferior to the one I described above (message of 1/31) as I can and do have tracks in a single playlist from many different subdirectories. For example, I have a playlist with my favorite tracks from seven different subdirectories that each contain the cuts from one album.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOrpheus View Post
If point 2 is correct, this method is much inferior to the one I described above (message of 1/31) as I can and do have tracks in a single playlist from many different subdirectories. For example, I have a playlist with my favorite tracks from seven different subdirectories that each contain the cuts from one album.
NauticusLX's post said "or subfolder", so I think the statement is correct and agrees with your statement.

The issue is that paths in an m3u playlist must be relative to the location of the playlist. Which means that all songs in the playlist need to be in the same folder as the playlist or in a some subfolder below the playlist.