android
Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
ABI Founder

Default D2 User Interface on the O2

I have been discussing the possibility of getting the D2 UI on the O2 with one of Cowon's firmware programmers. He thinks is a great idea and is running it by the R&D department.

I think having an oversized D2 with great native codec support would be pretty amazing and cure most of my complaints about the O2. What do you O2 owners think? Would this make a dramatic improvement?

Here the front page article: D2 User Interface on the O2

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That would be great... not as great as the S9 interface, but way better than the extremely tedious UI the O2 has at the moment.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm all for it, as I would have purchased 1 myself by now. The O2 possess some great hardware, so get that D2 UI on board to match.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 PM

as long as the icons look better...or better yet...let sdk users change the icons

the only things that really NEED to be updated about the interface is a larger browser font and virtual scroll instead of requiring usage of the scroll bar

Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's a lot more things that really "need" to be fixed, IMO... but yes, the tedious browser is the most urgent.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Heaven...

Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM

because I am a retard I am gonna make sure your saying heaven because you like My Name is Earl? Or am I even more retarded than I thought....?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This is the excellent interface of the Cowon S9 faked (badly) onto the O2.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 PM

Nice try dfkt

Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
ABI Founder

Here the front page article: D2 User Interface on the O2

Old 02-06-2009, 02:27 AM

i actually dont think i like the video or audio screen of the D2...the O2's are simple with everything localized and organized...there are buttons all over the screen with the D2. though a double-tap pause in the middle of the video would be a nice feature...i hate how there is no quick way to pause/play a video or song on the O2...

and someone mentioned possibly programming a pause by pressing + and - down at the same time...thats genius

Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdroc View Post
i actually dont think i like the video or audio screen of the D2...the O2's are simple with everything localized and organized...there are buttons all over the screen with the D2.
Agreed, the S9 interface would be quite a bit nicer than the D2's (as seen in the fake pics above).

While the D2 interface is certainly better in many aspects than the O2's, I would definitely prefer a variant of the S9 interface on the O2. It's just more modern, and has even better usability. Not to mention it would give Cowon some "identity", when players from the same generation have similar interfaces (just like iPods, Zunes, Creatives, etc).

The S9 and O2 are in completely different leagues, catering to different people... so they could peacefully co-exist with similar interfaces, they wouldn't "cannibalize" each others sales, as I see it. In my opinion there's only advantages of having one decent UI base to build upon, instead of having each player being completely different than the other.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Contributing Editor

Yeah, I would def like a newer updated interface. The d2 is solid, I have not used it, just seen in action. I like the icons in the o2, just the font size, and color needs to be made better.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 AM
ABI Founder

DFKT and i put together a list of fixes and suggested this D2 UI fix and set it off to one of the firmware programmers. I got a response from Cowon on this, they seem excited about it and are strongly recommending the changes and agree that UI changes must be made in the next firmware update. Something very good might come out of this. =)

Old 02-06-2009, 12:53 PM

damn an electronics manufacturer that actually listens to there customers? When I was thinking about getting an Archos 5 before I really realised how much better cowon is I was in an Archos 5 Forum. And for suggesting stuff like this hell even for wondering if they would ever just give out the codec packs so they could compete with Cowon... all I got was crap. You guys are really really awesome for thinking this up at all and now to see it actually come to life.... maybe. even the smallest chance makes it cool. I will be watching this carefully and maybe by the time I get an O2 for my bday in march even DFKT will think its an amazing device.... maybe. Bravo and Congrats EnzoTen and DFKT!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 AM

I have both a D2 and an O2 and I'm not sure I like either interface better than the other. If a new D2-like firmware becomes available for the O2 I'd have to think that over. I'm not sure if I'd change it or not.

As long as the player does what I want and I don't have to think about the interface, I'm happy, and both of these players do that well.

The O2 interface is odd but once I was used to it I found it to be pretty efficient. I think the real problem isn't with the interface, but with the lack of imagination and patience in the reviewers who are always clammoring for something new and then get scared when they actually find it.

Barry