android
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Default re: comparison purchase.. sansa fuse v1 vs clip v2

Hello
I am considering purchasing the sansa fuse(not plus) or the clip plus.

These players are almost the exact same price at my local retailer. I am trying to figure out what is best for me.

I have been reading about syncing issues (3 minutes) with sd cards and the fuze. does that happen in both MSC and MTP modes? i am probably going to go MSC due to a mac i am going to get soon.

Is the syncing issue with both the internal memory and external slot, or just the external? If i got a class 10 memory card, would it make a difference in sync time?

To anyones knowledge ,does the sync issue happen with the clip as well?

does the sync issue happen every time the player is turned on?
is there a sleep mode?

it seems to me that the features are very similar in these two players. Most likely 99% of the time i will use it for music and podcasts. maybe 1% voice recorder.

what are the really big distinct differences between the two players?
20 hours of playback vs 15 hours is not an issue for me.
interface quality is important.
is the audio quality similar?
what the player physically "looks" like is not at all a deciding factor
please point out any other major factors i have not considered

thanks for your help
-g

Last edited by gramps416; 04-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

The features on both players are essentially the same. The Fuze is basically a Clip+ a larger case. The larger screen, longer battery and scroll wheel are different but the basic use is very much the same. The audio hardware is the same so the audio quality is the same.

Could you provide a link to the to the thread concerning the syncing issues? From the way you phrase it seems you might seem to be referring to the database refresh. When the database refreshes that includes all the information on the player, both the card and the internal memory.

If what you mean is the database refresh that happens whenever any information changes on the player. It could be something you change or a Windows service updating it's information on the player. That applies for a player connected in MSC.

MTP transfer is slower because it essentially updates as it transfers. When you disconnect from a MTP transfer the refresh should just be a few seconds. I don't have a Mac so I don't know if connecting to a Mac is possible in MTP.

When I was using the official firmware I just used a USB wall charger to avoid the database refresh. With no data being changed the player bootedright back to where it was when it was turned off. Since I didn't change the files on the player often I very rarely saw a database update.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 PM

i think i understand refreshes a little bit better. so refreshes dont occur when the unit is powered on.

are both units comparable in speed? (processing time)

are both units robust? (is there a component that commonly fails prematurely on either of the two?)

is rockbox more unstable than the standard operating menus that come with the fuze?

is there any advantage to having class 6 or 10 microsdhc cards opposed to class 2 or 4

thanks again
-g

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Administrator

I've never noticed a difference in processing speed. They both respond very well. The Fuze scroll wheel is vulnerable to dust and moisture. However if a reasonable amount of care is exercised there's no reason either should fail. The scroll wheel on my V1 Fuze works a smoothly as the day I first got it over 2 years ago.

The screen on the Fuze is also easily scratched. I put a generic screen protector on mine. When I change the screen protector every 6 months or so due the edges rolling up a bit the screen underneath is like new. TBH, I believe the driving force behind the Fuze was to compete withe the iPod that had just been introduced at that time. Several corners were cut to keep the price low. That doesn't necessarily make it a shoddy product, just not as stoutly built as the Clip.

The only advantage to a higher speed class rating on a microsdhc card when it comes to mp3 players is transfer speed. The slowest class 2 card won't lag the internal performance of a player. The slowest card made is still much faster than any internal operation including decoding video.

As to Rockbox vs. OF stability, the OF wins. It's pretty much a finished product that's designed to fill the needs of the average user. Rockbox is a project that is continuously being updated. That doesn't mean it will be less stable but it can be. I've got a build from just before the 3.8 relesse that has never misbehaved in any way. I'd match it against the OF any day. Of course it pounds the OF into the ground when it comes to customization options.

The battery life on a Rockboxed V1 Fuze is much less thsn that of the Rockboxed V2 Fuze. There's some things that just haven't been figured out yet. For that reason I usually spend at least some time in the OF when I'm using my Fuze. I've found that there's some differences I prefer but nothing deal breaking.

If Rockbox vanished I'd still enjoy my Clip and Fuze. I'd be more than a bit unhappy about it though. Once you get use to the freedom and flexibility Rockbox offers it's hard to go back.