android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 02-20-2009, 10:21 PM

Unhappy Post here if you are disappointed by the Fuze and are waiting for something better

I bought it for somebody else (younger siblings first mp3) and I didn't like it that much.

The sound was great, but...

-The battery life was only so-so.
-The screen was pretty mediocre.
-The build quality was average at best.

Sandisk, I'm waiting for you to roll out a player that fixes all of these problems.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So why don't you get a Sony or something else??

I haven't used my Fuze much yet, but the screen seems fine (videos and pics looked good), and the build quality seemed fine.

What are you comparing it too??

Steve

Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I haven't used my Fuze much yet, but the screen seems fine (videos and pics looked good), and the build quality seemed fine.

Steve
I would also like to know the basis for comparison. It holds up pretty well in its price range, I think. If you find one comparably priced with a better screen, it probably won't have a memory expansion slot , or equivalent sound quality.

I haven't watched any video on mine in months, between the tiny screen and the amount of time required to add the videos, but I remember they didn't look any worse than my sister's old 30GB iPod video. (which cost 3 times as much).

And my battery life has never been an issue. Sure, it doesn't last as long as an i7 or D2, but it's not that bad.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post

Steve
I have a Sony A818 and it trumps the Fuze on battery life, screen quality and build quality.

The problem is that the Fuze sounds better than the A818. What I want is the Fuze's sound quality and features in my A818.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
-The battery life was only so-so.
-The screen was pretty mediocre.
-The build quality was average at best.
The thing is, if Fuze has a good battery life, great screen, and top-notch build quality, it won't be sold at Fuze's price anymore.

Plus, battery life and screen performance are very well documented on most (if not all) Fuze reviews over the Internet. Even big site like Cnet has that kind of information for you to read. I certainly can't see why you couldn't have found those information before you bought your Fuze. As for build quality, I see no problem on mine. It might not be the best looking DAP around, but I didn't pay my money for the loook.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:37 AM

Gee I wonder what you’d think of the Clip ... It’s well documented by users and reviewers, these two players are great players ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-21-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I have a Sony A818 and it trumps the Fuze on battery life, screen quality and build quality.
Here's the thing though: My 8GB Fuze was $99.99 at BestBuy. What did you pay for the Sony?

Others have already pointed out how well documented and reviewed the Fuze is and how easy it would have been for you to find this information online before you spent your money, so I won't bother. I will add though, that if your younger sibling likes the player, that should be what matters to you.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:57 AM

I agree with Gaius in one point - the sound quality is great.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:29 PM

I guess I shouldn't post since I'm not waiting for something better.

I considered the Sony prior to buying the Fuze. Problems I saw with the Sony:

1. Mixed reviews on sound quality.

2. MTP with windows support only (deal breaker)

3. No OGG or FLAC support.

4. Lack of memory expansion.

I suppose I understand what you mean about build quality. The tolerances are tighter on the Sony and the seams are straighter. But to me the Sony feels plastic while the Fuze feels like a solid chunk of metal.

I'm happy with the battery life on the Fuze. Playing three to six hours a day I get three or four days between charges which is plenty. I wouldn't trade the small form factor for another day or two of play time.

The screen is fine for an audio player. I don't watch videos on it.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 PM

For a the size of a credit card that costs less than $100.00 and plays videos the Fuze is unbeatable. The screen is actually better than I expected it to be and I haven't had a problem with the battery life.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Here's the thing though: My 8GB Fuze was $99.99 at BestBuy. What did you pay for the Sony?

Others have already pointed out how well documented and reviewed the Fuze is and how easy it would have been for you to find this information online before you spent your money, so I won't bother. I will add though, that if your younger sibling likes the player, that should be what matters to you.
Wow, you actually overpaid. I've seen the Fuze for much lower than that LAST year. I paid $139 for my A818 back in early 08.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Actually, as I've said in other posts in this forum, I didn't pay anything. I gave Best Buy back the iPod Nano I got for Christmas and used the in-store credit to get the Fuze. You just made my point for me though. The $99.99 was a high price for the Fuze... but you still want/expect it to have a bigger and better screen and a better battery and the build quality of higher priced players?

Oh yes... based on the 4GB costing $79.99 recently, how much cheaper and what capacity? I've seen really cheap Fuzes at Target, but they were 2GB capacity.

Last edited by Chili; 03-04-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: thought of something

Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Actually, as I've said in other posts in this forum, I didn't pay anything. I gave Best Buy back the iPod Nano I got for Christmas and used the in-store credit to get the Fuze. You just made my point for me though. The $99.99 was a high price for the Fuze... but you still want/expect it to have a bigger and better screen and a better battery and the build quality of higher priced players?
Last September I paid $79.99 at BB for my 4GB Fuze(that was on sale!)....so I think you made out like a bandit

Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 AM

The Fuze is a great deal. You get it up to 8gb, it has an expansion slot that integrates the music into one big pool, and it sounds great. What's the problem? It's a smaller player, if you want something with a better screen and battery life then your going to have to spend more cash.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Since you were taking about prices... i just got a new 4gb black Fuze at Amazon.com last week for $63.00 and free shipping. When i looked at Amazon.com today the same player is now on sale for $57.95.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The problem is that the Fuze sounds better than the A818.
I don't think it does, but these things are subjective.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:26 AM

hmm, well "disappointed" can be based on subjective things. but...based on more concrete things such as price, value, and performance, i can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the Fuze, all things being equal

ATM you can get a 2GB Fuze for $40 from Amazon. Add an 8 gig SDHC card for another $15 or so and you've got a 10 gig mp3 player with FM radio, voice recorder, and video playback for around $65 after shipping and tax. not to mention its capabilities with audiobooks. and its a very cool little device

not much to disappointed about there imo

Old 03-14-2009, 10:18 PM

Build quality is good enough for me. I would not want them to have to raise the price to apple or Sony levels.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:22 AM

No issues with my Fuze after almost an entire year.

Photos look okay on it but I didn't buy it for that. Battery life has never been an problem. Build quality is good and I've disassembled mine almost completely.

I even dropped a staple gun on my Fuze and all it suffered was a small dent in the outer plastic of the screen area.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM

I just registered on the forum (had a problem with ID3 tags, probably from Rhythmbox being an idiot about tags. Re-saving with Easytag fixed it)
I have to say, so far I'm very happy with my Fuze. 4GB MP3 player with high quality sound, decent battery life, and a MicroSDHC (the 'HC' being the most important part, too) expansion slot for $40 is an exceptional deal IMO.
Only problem I have with it is that I don't have a laptop so I'll have to buy a wall-charger if I want to travel with it. Anywhere I'd travel that doesn't have outlets is someplace where you're supposed to be 'roughing it' IE going camping.