android
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 PM

Default How do I play one song only?

I spent 20 min searching the forum without finding an answer to a need I have. I have had my Sansa Fuze 8gb for 1 week.

I want to fall asleep to one 20 min song of an album containing several songs. I only want one song to play. Then I want the player to stop. I do not want the player to play the rest of the songs in the album. Then I want the player to eventually go into auto-off. I do not want to build a GO list of the one song.

Coming from a Rio ce2100, in which this task was easily accomplished, I am having no luck figuring this out with the Fuze.

Rio Navigation
Main Menu
- Play Music
- Album
- name of the album desired
- Play All (or scroll to the desired single song within the Album and press Select (only the selected song is played)

Thanks for any ideas... Well, er any constructive ideas.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you know you could set the sleep timer to 20 minutes?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcstudioskent View Post
I do not want to build a GO list of the one song.
Umm...you do know that building a go list consists of pressing and holding the center button. It's probably less work than setting the sleep timer or anything like that. It would take all of a second to accomplish and do exactly what you want. Why so resistant to the idea?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
Umm...you do know that building a go list consists of pressing and holding the center button. It's probably less work than setting the sleep timer or anything like that. It would take all of a second to accomplish and do exactly what you want. Why so resistant to the idea?
You do have a point there sumx...lol. Unless there's already a go list made, it is the easiest way.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This is true, I could see not wanting to lose a go list. But that's what it is, a quick list...if you have a list that you care that much to keep, make a real playlist out of it and save it to the device...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM

I do not see a sleep yimer in the pdf manual. I know is was part of a wish list for firmware. I will look into seeing if an update is available for my unit: Version V02.02.09A

Yes hitting the center button is available for the GoList but I have to of course delete the previous entries, etc. I know I will have to adapt to a new player. It was just familiar and easy to do it the way I discribed in my first post on my Rio.

Again I will look into a firmware change to get sleep timer.

Thanks for all the quick responses and great ideas.

Kent

Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcstudioskent View Post
I do not see a sleep yimer in the pdf manual. I know is was part of a wish list for firmware. I will look into seeing if an update is available for my unit: Version V02.02.09A

Yes hitting the center button is available for the GoList but I have to of course delete the previous entries, etc. I know I will have to adapt to a new player. It was just familiar and easy to do it the way I discribed in my first post on my Rio.

Again I will look into a firmware change to get sleep timer.

Thanks for all the quick responses and great ideas.

Kent
Yes, the newer firmware has a sleep timer. It will solve your problem just fine, I think.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the responses. I downloaded firmware v2.01.17A. I now have SLEEP TIMER.

After trying out the new feature I have decided that I will use the GoList only for the "play only x" then go into auto-off. I will also use it for on-location playback of sync tracks for actors IFB and group lip sync.

Additionally, it takes 7 button presses for me to get into the sleep mode setting and back to the timeline screen. That requires an incredible amount of thumb time. I might devolope a tiny calus.

I have to hand it to the people at Sandisk. When they designed the code for SLEEP MODE they designed it so that it resets to _ _ (sleep timer disabled) upon the next power up cycle. This way the user can start the next day without having to manually set it to _ _.

Thanks Sandisk and anythingbutafrigginappleproduct users/contributors.

Kent

Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Besides using the golist, if you aren't using song ratings, then you could give the song a 5 star rating, then choose to play the highest rated songs. It will play just that song if no other songs are rated.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Can't you just say "repeat:song"?

Or am I missing something here?

Old 03-03-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier78 View Post
Can't you just say "repeat:song"?

Or am I missing something here?
He means play the song once. Only once, then stop. He's got it figured out, though.

You could also, to preserve your golist, save that one song in a playlist titled 'sleep' or something, and just use that.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:47 AM

Thanks for possible new ideas.

I actually want to fall asleep to either a 15 to 20 min song or a 30 min segment of a radio talk show that I subscribe to. Coast to Coast AM (about 1 out of 5 shows interest me). In any case the selection changes each night.

Again, in an attempt to play only one song/track and stop I have explored the following:

When listening to a track in ALBUMS I have tried
1) do a GoList for just that track (8 button presses for navigation)
2) rate the song a particular way and play just that rating (7 button presses)
3) sleep timer (7 button presses)

I now use the sleep timer.

When listening to tracks in AUDIOBOOKS I have found
1) GoList unavailable
2) I've tried Ch. Mode on & off
3) sleep timer

I now use the sleep timer for this too.

It would just be more convienent for me if the FUZE were to implement the following menu structure:
Main Menu
- Music
- Albums
- name of the album desired
- Play All (play all tracks in the album) or
- track x (scroll to the desired track and play only that track then stop, instead of playing that track and every track after it in the album)

Any body know if SanDisk reads and considers software update ideas from the Update Forum?

Thanks
Kent