android
  #1  
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
williamtsims's Avatar
williamtsims williamtsims is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 103
Default How would you improve the Sansa Fuze?

Just like the title says, how would you improve the Sansa Fuze?

If there is a Fuze 2, I would like to see the following hardware changes:

Smoother/Better Built Wheel
Smoother Headphone Jack (The current one sticks out a bit, and catches my clothing)
USB Mini connection, instead of the Proprietary cable.
Led Options for the Wheel (On, Off, etc..)
Higher Resolution Screen. It's pretty good right now, but I think it could be a little better, and I would gladly pay $30-$40 more if need be.

That's all I can think of, what do you guys think!?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,514
Default

SDHC instead of micro SDHC.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Pallottino Pallottino is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Default

The only thing I would change, or want, is the ability to edit themes. i.e background, icons etc. I feel if they added this, the Fuze would be a real match for the iStodge.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 PM
samueljesusfreak's Avatar
samueljesusfreak samueljesusfreak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ellendale, North Dakota
Posts: 758
Default

2.2 inch AMOLED
SDHC Slot
Gapless playback

It would be perfect, IMO.
__________________
Player: Generic Philips GoGear 4GB(Sounds decent though)
Headphones: Koss KSC-75 and JVC Marshmallow
Wow I'm poor..
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
d_headshot d_headshot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 346
Default

-Toggling between ID3 tag browsing AND folder/file browsing
-More metadata display
-Bigger album art, and more support for different sizes of files for art
-Gapless play back
-Not needing to rely on sansa media converter for videos
-More background, UI customization
-USB mini connection
-Faster file transfer rates
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_headshot View Post
-Toggling between ID3 tag browsing AND folder/file browsing
-More metadata display
-Bigger album art, and more support for different sizes of files for art
-Gapless play back
-Not needing to rely on sansa media converter for videos
-More background, UI customization
-USB mini connection
-Faster file transfer rates
I agree with most of these^^^
However I am shocked that nobody yet brought up a dedicated volume control like on the Clip. That would be a wonderful addition.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 PM
williamtsims's Avatar
williamtsims williamtsims is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 103
Default

Most of those are Firmware Based upgrades, but nonetheless, good choices.

I don't agree with the SDHC though, I like the size of the Fuze as it is, no need to make it any bigger.

The volume rocker would be great, but kind of redundant since we already have the scroll wheel.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtsims View Post
Most of those are Firmware Based upgrades, but nonetheless, good choices.

I don't agree with the SDHC though, I like the size of the Fuze as it is, no need to make it any bigger.

The volume rocker would be great, but kind of redundant since we already have the scroll wheel.
I'm suggesting removing the volume function from the scroll wheel altogether.

It takes a second to adjust the volume on the Fuze because you have to wake up the screen first. Also, how often have you unintentionally paused or skipped a track when trying to adjust your volume with the wheel?

Sounds silly, like, "what kind of klutz would do that, anyways?" But if you're walking around, with the Fuze in your pocket, it can happen, and can be rather annoying.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Chili's Avatar
Chili Chili is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It takes a second to adjust the volume on the Fuze because you have to wake up the screen first. Also, how often have you unintentionally paused or skipped a track when trying to adjust your volume with the wheel?
Far too often! I listen to the Fuze when I drive... taking my eyes off the interstate to stare at the player just seems like a bad idea, so I never do. As a result, the navigation wheel doesn't always obey me as well as I'd like, especially not in the action jacket case it's currently in.

My BSE's are set to arrive any day now, and I have high hopes the wheel will be easier to use once the action jacket is replaced.
__________________
Magnatune: We are not evil
Ka dos kampi'un nindol, dos ssrig'luin natha dro.

Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM
emagon4523 emagon4523 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23
Default

- replaceable battery. i lament the fact when my battery goes bunk i'm going to be tossing this marvelous little player in the trash.

- view IDTAG data

- gapless of course
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
d_headshot d_headshot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Far too often! I listen to the Fuze when I drive... taking my eyes off the interstate to stare at the player just seems like a bad idea, so I never do. As a result, the navigation wheel doesn't always obey me as well as I'd like, especially not in the action jacket case it's currently in.

My BSE's are set to arrive any day now, and I have high hopes the wheel will be easier to use once the action jacket is replaced.
I hope your using the aux cable with the cars stereo because using headphones while driving is quite unsafe
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:33 PM
d_headshot d_headshot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I agree with most of these^^^
However I am shocked that nobody yet brought up a dedicated volume control like on the Clip. That would be a wonderful addition.
Agreed. And about the folder/ID3 toggling, it would be cool if you can chose to view by folders, then when playing a song it can be either the ID3 of the song being displayed OR the file name, and when searching by tags, you can also chose to display the song as tags OR file name.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
pcman pcman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emagon4523 View Post
- replaceable battery. i lament the fact when my battery goes bunk i'm going to be tossing this marvelous little player in the trash.


The battery is replaceable now. If you are comfortable opening your fuze up, new batterys are popping up on ebay now. I have bought a couple, and they do the job.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Chili's Avatar
Chili Chili is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_headshot View Post
I hope your using the aux cable with the cars stereo because using headphones while driving is quite unsafe
Especially while commuting to and from work on the Interstate?

Yep, I invested in an aux cable so I can use my car stereo. It made everything easier.
__________________
Magnatune: We are not evil
Ka dos kampi'un nindol, dos ssrig'luin natha dro.

Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 PM
pcman pcman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 193
Default

An aux cable is a very serious investment.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
sansaguy's Avatar
sansaguy sansaguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcman View Post
The battery is replaceable now. If you are comfortable opening your fuze up, new batterys are popping up on ebay now. I have bought a couple, and they do the job.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
a nice little tut on opening your Fuze would be great for those of us who are a little nervous about potential disaster with opening up our beloved players?
__________________
How I Roll:
Sansa e250v1 Rockboxed refurb
16GB microSDHC
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
a nice little tut on opening your Fuze would be great for those of us who are a little nervous about potential disaster with opening up our beloved players?
Yeah, I'd be nervous too
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
pcman pcman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 193
Default

Yes, but if your battery lasts like an hour, and you plan on pitching it it's worth the risk to open it. I will add though, after removing the faceplate, it is VERY hard to get it back in.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
mp34TT mp34TT is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Get rid of the 'proprietary' connector or add a mini USB port.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM
emagon4523 emagon4523 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23
Default

agree with that mini-usb insted of the proprietary cable.

and now that MLB cactus league season is upon us - i find myself wishing this thing had an AM radio. i gotta carry a walkman now to listen to the CUBS on WGN....
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.