android
Old 02-25-2009, 07:20 AM

Exclamation D2 audio treatment for low end users

I am form india. people i finally got the D2 8GB a week back. I have also ordered a sennheiser PX100 headphones ( this costs 11000 INR (220$) + 3000 INR (60$) ) in india. which is quite expensive. My home Sony HI-Fi system is just 20$ expensive than the D2.
I have also bought a creative ep-630's for moderately isolated listening especially in trains.

I have bought the ep-630 quite earlier and was using with my Hi-Fi system at home and with the computer at office. i will write a review on these later. But to put it consisely they are just average with the IBM Think centre computer and minblowing with my Hi-fi system. Lot of people make noise about Hiss. well hiss is never a problem as long as the sound is beautiful. When something sounds perfect one automatically pays no attention to hiss. i get very low hiss when i connect ep-630 to my Hi-fi system. The experience is that drums just play with my mind and it dances to the tunes. punch is there. i mostly listen to old hindi songs which have no bass at all, but at times when i want to listen to some thumping tracks i want the punch to be there. The sony system is great at playing the groovy tracks but not impressive at most hindi songs. U know i always had to up the equalizer in the higher frequency above the vocal range and down the low frequency range.

Now about cowon d2. I had great expectations on these. I didnot even check how the stock ear buds work. i straightly pluged in ep-630 and i am surprised to hear Hiss. The hiss is more than what i get when i connect to hi-fi system. anyway hiss is not a problem. Then i played the default Iaudio track expecting atleast what i would get from the Hi-fi system. The result is bad. the portion up to 200HZ is sounding a bit muddier not a very smooth and tight bass that i get when i plug the same ear phones in to my HI-fi system. and i was surprised to see that cowon already placed mach3bass at 6 and tweaked the equalizer. I copied some groovy tracks and started experimenting (bass is there) but something is lacking.

Then i opened the PX100 and plugged them in. To my surprise there is no hiss at all. complete silence. sound quality improved noticeably. But they sounded more softer highs and lows are not completely shown but the sound is very sweet. It was like experiencing a cool breeze. But still does not match to the ep-630 + hi_fi system. That was my expectation. But the sound that i was getting was the sound i want for most of the songs. But was no justice to groovy tracks. I also should mention that after a few days they sounded even better but still not up to mark.

I want the player to sound best for all songs. the breezy tracks should have the breezy effect ( which comes with good detail and clarity and the sony player does not have these ) and the groovy songs should have a punching effect.

DFKT, u publised some graphs can u give details on how they are generated.

The whole talk on bass roll off is rubbish. even if one looks at DFKT's graphs, just pumping the equalizer 2-3 units up in the low freq range should make the graph straight right? now assuming that's the base one can tweak form then on. The real bass giver is the equalizer and not the Mach3Bass. The Mach3Bass is amplyfying the not quite apparent bass frequencies (<70Hz).

Those who feel that the flat eq is so flat should pump up the volume. The natural thing that people see is when the flatten the eq they lose some volume and they think its very flat sounding.

from the difference from ep-630 - px100 i am sure that the player does best by doing something to it. The addition of amp is ridiculous because look the cost of the total set up (around 450 $) and that too destroying portability.

can somebody work on inexpensive solutions to improve the player performance in the <170 HZ zone. In the rest freq range nothing can beat this one. I have already spent much around (300$) and will slowly work on improving the quality.

one thing one should see is that the Jetaudio itself is soft sounding for low end speakers. That is way by which BBE gives great equalization without distortion. If one doubts just play some nice groovy track on JETaudio, WMP, VLC and mplayer so on without effects. My ranking would be VLC, WMP ... . But one can see that when effects are on VLC becomes Muddy but Jet audio plays smoothly. If thats the cause then one should wait for alternate os on D2 (ROCKBOX) and it would be nice to choose between BBE and some other one like the one used in VLC.

people keep posting in this thread inexpensive solutions to improve D2. Rise ones observations to such an extent that cowon will pay attention to what's happening.

Main concern: Just more detail on the low freq range without sacrificing what we are getting now for mid to high freq range ( D2 IS BEST HERE). This is not roll off. if its all about roll off upping equalizer should do the trick.

sorry for a long post it unexpectedly became long.

-siva kumar reddy

Last edited by sivakrdy; 02-26-2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: typo

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-14-2009, 06:02 PM

I connected the d2 to my trusted sony Hi-Fi system using a '3.5mm to RCA' cable and plugged in creative ep-630 into the head-phone jack of he Hi-Fi system. The sound was simply mind-blowing. The sound has power in it all through the frequency spectrum. The vocals are forward, bass has power and great follow up and the instrument separation is totally there. It was more like listening to music being played ahead of me. It was more airy than music being thrown into my ears. I totally enjoyed it.

Then i connected PX100 to the headphone jack of the Hi-Fi system. These were already sounding good straight from cowon D2. But when routed through a Hi-Fi system the music sounded more lively. But the difference is not as subtle as when seen with ep-630

To get all the above experience i had to put the volume above 40 in D2 and 90% of the volume in the Hi-Fi system. I tried keeping the volume at 50 in D2 but this drains out the battery very rapidly.

I donot want to use two players with their volumes at their respective high positions. Is there a way i can get around this?.

Last edited by sivakrdy; 03-14-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:26 PM

The portable headphone amp is an option. But It seems good amps are costly. If there are any amps that pair nicely with D2 in 50$ range please post them. By this setting i think i will be getting the driving power for Hi-Fi system to play loudly through speakers and also great sound quality even with portable use.

My Hi-Fi system costs around 230$. The Headphone output from this is simply great. so i think a portable headphone amp of a better quality should be available with in 50$ range.

I read a few threads on amps but those who use one with D2 please post their opinions.

And if there is other way to Drive the Hi-Fi system that would be great! i can save some money:-)

Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 AM

Hehe, it might sound funny or not trustable since its my first post here but i've read quite a lot the last days after also just having grabbed my d2 and testing it.
This "lack of punch" what you are experiencing is very likely due to your low impedance headphones, since the ep 630 are having 16 ohm. I'm testing my d2 with different phones these days, well only 16 vs 32 ohm but there IS a difference there. The more impedance there more punch (or to say less bass roll off), and the less hiss! From 60-80 ohm upwards the bass roll off shouldnt be there anymore.
So, to save money, the best way to improve your sound experience would be to get one of those impedance adaptors for using it with the ep-630. Look here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...edance+adaptor

On the other side this would force u to set your volume level much higher, so this would be on the costs of battery.
Next alternative: grabbing a higher ohm headphone with more punch, like ksc75 or porta pro. They might be quite affordable.

As a sidenote: According to all the other - experienced - posters here, the eq/mach3 bass settings wont solve any of the bass roll off issue since they adjust only the range around 65-70 Hz and upwards.

Greetings
PS: looking forward to my new 60 ohm cans ;-)

Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 AM

pooh4hq welcome to ABI.

Quote:
As a sidenote: According to all the other - experienced - posters here, the eq/mach3 bass settings wont solve any of the bass roll off issue since they adjust only the range around 65-70 Hz and upwards.
This is completely untrue. EQ generates a bell shaped curve at curve at 80Hz so it will be effecting as well up to 50-60Hz to some extent. increasing the mach3bass gives a nice followup to bass which means its working in the 30-60HZ range.

with PX100 i have absolutely no issues. ofcourse i use the mach3bass and tweak the EQ a little to get nice punch.

i was expecting the player to output the sound as it is coming from my high-fi system with headphone out. And i am now certain that no PMP could ever produce that kind of sound. the problem is lack of substantial power to drive in PMP's. The sound from the headphone out has lot of power in it. The presentation will be so lively. All this with no sound adjustments from the player!. A small adjustment rattles the headphones. There one will see the real BBE in action. increasing BBE will produce remarkable instrument seperation. If one listens to that then he will feel that PMP's sound has little life.

That's why these audiophile people are running after headphone AMP's.

well i need a inexpensive headphone amp that does not destroy the D2's beautiful sound and produces an amplification of around 20db that's it. If it gives power to D2 music that's preferable.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:53 PM

I just saw that other thread with the "new religion" statement, i somehow felt to be tangent to that Those new graphs from dfkt are interesting to me - indeed those eq adjustings (may it be caused mostly by the mach 3 bass or mp enhance) seem to "touch" also the frequencies lower than 60-70 Hz, reaching the 40 Hz to be pushed significantely... the mentioned "belt curve" as being the operation mode of an eq was clear to me, though i had assumed the 60-70 Hz area would be already the "left end" of it; hope u understand what i mean. So even better if u are right

Sitting here with my 60 ohm cans enjoying a great sound and deep deep noticable bass without any eq settings

cheers

Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Forget the technicalities. Just enjoy the sound.

Tags
audio, d2, quality, review, sound