android
Old 02-27-2009, 08:59 AM

Default Why did you buy the fuze?

I have known San Disk products for years and have bough several of their memory cards over the years for my digital cameras. I have gotten to a confort level with San Disk and their products, as they have proved themselves capable, so when I started looking for an MP3 I naturally turned to San Disk, and let me tell you the Fuze has not disapointed.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was looking for my first mp3 player, and for the price of a 2GB screenless shuffle I got twice that memory, color screen, expandable memory, even a little video capability.... which ironically, I don't even use now. I don't even have the SMC anymore The great sound and the color screen satisfy my needs....for that matter, my Clips give me plenty of satisfaction too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandiskfw2.jpg (13.7 KB, 9 views)

Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM

I'm interested in buying a Fuze myself. I was wondering about the sound quality and the EQ options. Is the sound good, is it rich? etc...

Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM

mm. I loved the way it looked with it's holy blue light! It was just calling me lol. nah, but really I bought it cause I heard lots of great reviews from its sound quality AND the price is low! Looks, feels AND sounds great to me! I wish the blue light would stay on though :P.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 AM

Reasons I bought a Fuze:
  1. Sound quality - basically as good as it gets. In the same league with the best from Sony and Cowon.
  2. Excellent MSC mode support. Many others don't even support MSC (iriver) or it's crippled in some way compared to MTP (some Cowon models only support playlists in MTP mode). On the Fuze, all features are supported under both modes (except DRM, which of course requries MTP).
  3. m3u playlist support
  4. Expandable (microSDHC)
  5. Value
Note that all these points apply equally to the Clip (except microSDHC of course).

Old 02-28-2009, 08:52 AM

The reasons I went with the Fuze is the superior sound quality, physical size, expandability, price, and all the other options that the "fruit" doesn't offer. Plus having 16 gigs of memory (8+8) is more than enough for me. And to get that much from the "fruit" would have cost literally twice as much. And you don't even get an FM radio with them. And I like how "open" the fuze is, meaning it can support so many different types of media. Plus, it's cool to be different. When I explain the Fuze to those who think of only the "fruit" when you mention "MP3 player" they're amazed at how much better it is in pretty much every respect. Gives me a warm fuzzy every time and reminds me every time that I made a great choice. No reqrets whatsoever.

Last edited by Cereal_Killer; 02-28-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:54 AM

1. Excellent sound quality
2. Expandable microSD slot
3. FM Radio
4. Price

Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM

1. Reputation for excellent sound quality
2. Support for FLAC playback
3. Great value at 49.99 for 8gb Fuze + 4gb card at Play.com

Those were the reasons for getting it. Now I do have it I am extra happy that it is so small and that drag-and-drop music uploading is so easy on it.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 PM

1. FLAC support
2. FM Radio
3. Good price

Old 02-28-2009, 06:06 PM

I bought my 4GB Fuze because I learned it would sound as good as my 4GB Clip but would be expandable. I was running low on space on my Clip, and the Fuze fit the requirements quite nicely.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:47 PM

I got a Fuze because I bought a 4gb MicroSDHC and I wanted to use it with it.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 AM

I got my 8 gb Fuze because I was looking for something smaller (size and capacity) than my ZVM, with good sound quality (thanks to the review on this site), and easy to use. After buying and using it, I also like the expandability with microSD card and having the option to load and watch videos.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Because the second best MP3 Player in the world :-) , the RadioYourWay LX, is no longer being made, and I can't afford to buy it's replacement, the current title holder of the Best MP3 player in the world, the CC Witness.

The Fuze was the next best choice for the moment. I miss my AM Radio, so now I'm saving up for the CC Witness. For what it does, the Fuze is great. My kingdom for an AM/FM MP3 player.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 PM

I wanted to upgrade my E260 and for me the Fuze was an natural choice. I chose it because:
MicroSDHC
SanDisk has a great reputation for quality in all the products I've bought
Multiple audio formats supported
Rhapsody is available (though I don't use it)

Old 03-02-2009, 06:38 PM

1 Tried an IPOD and hated it
2 This forum with so much help
3 Full featured and sd slot
4 This could be number 1 tho the SOUND quality

Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just snatched up a used, black, 8GB v1 Fuze because of:

- the upgrade in sound quality from my current Rockboxed e280
- the progress being made on Rockbox development for this particular platform
- microSD expandability
- compatibility with all my e280 docks/peripherals,
- the ability to patch together a line-out cable for use with the data port, and
- less importantly, the color and the price.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Is the CC Witness so great? it seems like the only thing it has that the Fuze is lacking is AM radio. I can't see paying over $200 for a player just to get AM radio. for $15 you could get a Sony SRF-59 AM/FM radio, or for $30 you could get an Eton M300 AM/FM shortwave radio.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Is the CC Witness so great? it seems like the only thing it has that the Fuze is lacking is AM radio. I can't see paying over $200 for a player just to get AM radio. for $15 you could get a Sony SRF-59 AM/FM radio, or for $30 you could get an Eton M300 AM/FM shortwave radio.
But, it has no built in MP3 Player.

Just a simple search on the Interweb will show you that there's actually a lot of demand for such a beastie (an AM/FM MP3 player). Sony Ericcson have just started to release a whole line of phones with AM Radios built in, for instance.

It's a lot of money sure, that's why I forced myself to buy an MP3 player, as it's just too much money for me right now, and I have to listen to something! I got the Fuze because that is considered to be one of the best and because I was reading about how good it was for listening to Podcasts (It's adequate). The Fuze will have to do until I get a CC Witness. I HATE not being able to listen to AM. Where I live, FM is a no go, and besides, it doesn't have Sports, News, Talkback etc.

Now, I don't need the video facility, but I do need the immediacy of the latest news, sports, talkback etc. But, I want it all in one compact device.

The RYW LX and the CC Witness do just that perfectly. The screen is very basic on those devices, but they give you all the information you could ever need (who ever really looks at the pictures when listening to an MP3 player?) and with the CC Witness you have the potential of up to 32gb of storage.

At the end of the day (I hate that phrase, but I'm using it anyway), the Fuze is in my opinion, nothing special ( Shock, Horror!). Honestly, after using it for some time now, I miss my RYW LX. The one thing that the RYW LX and the CC Witness have over any other MP3 player, that I'm aware of, is being able to listen to the sound of the file your playing when fast forwarding and re-winding. Unless you've used an MP3 Player with that facility, I don't think you realise what it is you're missing. The ability to be able to fast forward during adverts (you know when an ad is playing, and has finished, even when fast forwarding). I can skip all the podcast ads and carry on with what I REALLY want to listen to; the show. I think I could get to really loving the Fuze if it had this feature, but it still wouldn't have an AM Radio.

I think that the MP3 Player community should be demanding so much more from the makers of these things. I'd like to see more availablility of these devices and then perhaps the price will come down.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM

I had an e250 for over a year when the Fuze came out. My son had a 1GB ipod that was dying I planned to give him the e250. The e250 never let me down and so I was confident the Fuze would be just as good if not better. Love the Fuze, still using the e250 and my son still has the crappy ipod!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:07 PM

Default why I bought/like the 4gig fuze

1. Target had it in stock for 59.00.
2. I have another Sandisk mp3 player (3 yrs old, 1 gig), so I'm used to the UI.
3. FM radio.
4. FM radio recording.
5. Voice recording(I've done reasonable barroom band recording).
6. The photo thing is pretty cool.
7. I can sync or use MSC, Windows or Linux, I like the non-proprietary nature of it.

I've tried and returned an iriver and a zen. I bought my wife an ipod, she likes it a lot, but using it really points up the reason to have something else! Don't get me wrong it works and sounds great and has some cool features. But you can only use it the way Apple want you to. You can't just plug it into any computer. I really like the drag and drop aspect of the Sandisk stuff.

Last edited by miketayse; 03-08-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling error