android
Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Default Sansa Fuze - Loose Headphones Socket

Is there any way to replace loose sansa fuze headphones socket? Or eventually how to check if my player is still under warranty (i bought mine from ebay). Sandisk obviously using crappy parts to build their players. It`s one part (3,5mm headphones socket) which needs to be solid but it is not. Now instead of hearing great sound while walking i hear cracks and pops because of loose headphones jack. Great job Sandisk, you`ve maid fantastic piece of useless plastic. (When my Sansa`s cheaply finished plastic body wasn`t squeaky and cheap jack socket wasn`t loose it was great but now, after while, well guess..)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How long have you had it? I've had mine since early September, used it almost every day, and mine is fine. Are you sure it was new when you got it on ebay?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:36 PM

Not sure mate as bought it last year as bargain (without warranty)..
Wait longer than 6 months and you`ll see what i mean.
Worst is.. I am thinking to get back to iPod..

Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzieng View Post
You say it like it's a threat? Buy what you want, it's your money.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 AM

I am not iPod fanatic, but i had one and it was very solid, unlike Fuze.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I am not iPod fanatic, but i had one and it was very solid, unlike Fuze.
it shoulda been for what they charge for them

Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Not sure mate as bought it last year as bargain (without warranty)..
Wait longer than 6 months and you`ll see what i mean.
I HAVE had mine well over 6 months and use it the majority of the day everyday... never had an issue with phone jack or "sqeaky case". I think you got an abused player off of ebay or you are WAY to picky!

Go ahead and buy an iPod it's not our loss.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Or eventually how to check if my player is still under warranty (i bought mine from ebay).
1. It needs to be bought from an authorized reseller to be under warranty.
2. You need original packaging or proof of purchase.
3. It really helps to register it on Sansa's website.
4. Why on earth did you buy electronics from eBay???

A broken/loose headphone jack is not a common problem with the Fuze, though I supposed it could happen. You have nothing to lose by contacting Sandisk Sansa, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a replacement if the eBay seller wasn't an authorized Sansa store.

And for future refernce, basic courtesy goes a long way towards soliciting some real help in an online forum. A disappointed rant about how crappy you think the Fuze is, is probably going to be ignored buy most regulars in a forum dedicated to that player. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post

And for future refernce, basic courtesy goes a long way towards soliciting some real help in an online forum. A disappointed rant about how crappy you think the Fuze is, is probably going to be ignored buy most regulars in a forum dedicated to that player. Just something to keep in mind.
Words of wisdom, these^^

Old 03-15-2009, 06:58 PM

sort of on topic question here....

might be kind of silly but i've been keeping my headphones plugged into my Fuze 24/7. is this ok? i suppose it is, but might it even be better then removing them all the time? given that yes, sometimes (in my experience with old cassette wakmans, etc) the headphone jack can become...i guess loose or damaged over time?

i also ask because i've used my headphones for gaming recently and like how they sound. so i'm thinking i might continue to plug / unplug them for awhile. although i will most likely invest in a new set in the next couple of weeks for my Fuze exclusively, would it still be best to leave them plugged into the device 24/7, or does it even matter?

thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM

Over time, mechanical connections such as plastic headphone jacks can wear out. Leaving the plug in will, theoretically, keep the wear to a minimum.... but since these parts are built for thousands of plug-in cycles, you probably won't notice the difference. The real key with lightweight parts like the Fuze jack is don't be rough with it. Line it up properly so you aren't stretching the collar accidentally as you insert the plug, and don't push too hard. A side note to the original poster: sounds to me like the ebay seller probably abused the unit before selling. Sorry you got stuck with someone's poor treatment.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansasensei View Post
Over time, mechanical connections such as plastic headphone jacks can wear out.
Its not the plastic that wears out, but the solder connections to the fuze motherboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansasensei View Post
Leaving the plug in will, theoretically, keep the wear to a minimum.... but since these parts are built for thousands of plug-in cycles, you probably won't notice the difference.
While plugging in headphones can be stressful, whats a bigger problem is just the day to day torque on the solder points as the fuze moves around in your pockets. If you've got a unit with bad soldering, its going to fail eventually.

Unfortunately the fuze makes this even worse, since the unit is exceptionally difficult to take apart and resolder if it does fail.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
While plugging in headphones can be stressful, whats a bigger problem is just the day to day torque on the solder points as the fuze moves around in your pockets. If you've got a unit with bad soldering, its going to fail eventually.
So you're saying that my paranoid unplugging of any headphones anywhere before I put my gadgets away in pockets and purses is a good thing?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
So you're saying that my paranoid unplugging of any headphones anywhere before I put my gadgets away in pockets and purses is a good thing?
Thats actually the opposite of what I said, so no.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Thats actually the opposite of what I said, so no.
It just seems mean to the poor thing to leave something plugged in that can get snagged and yank at the player that way... but I see your point. I'll just have to get used to leaving it plugged in.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
It just seems mean to the poor thing to leave something plugged in that can get snagged and yank at the player that way... but I see your point. I'll just have to get used to leaving it plugged in.
Really I don't think it makes much difference. If you've got a defect its going to fail. If you don't, its probably not. Better to just let it fail and get a replacement from Sandisk I think.