android
Old 03-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Angry ZVM stuck in recovery mode

My 1 1/2 yr old ZVM is stuck in recovery mode and "beeping". At this point I am not concerned about saving anything, just want to get it rebooted and working again!. Hard Disk problem shows up very quickly, then dissappears. I have a bad feeling it is the hard drive.
The firmware is v1.11.04_0.0.24. I've tried upgrading, gets about 98% then fails. The computer recognizes the ZVM sometimes??? shows the 50MB icon.
will opening up the zen do anything?
please any advice will be much obliged

drum2beat

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 AM

From what I have experienced, you should format your HDD from recovery mode, then reload the firmware and then try to upgrade the firmware.
But, as I'm not that experienced, I would recommend you to wait for some of the mods to reply.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum2beat View Post
My 1 1/2 yr old ZVM is stuck in recovery mode and "beeping". At this point I am not concerned about saving anything, just want to get it rebooted and working again!. Hard Disk problem shows up very quickly, then dissappears. I have a bad feeling it is the hard drive.
Due to that error showing (and only booting into Recovery Mode), it would make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum2beat View Post
The firmware is v1.11.04_0.0.24. I've tried upgrading, gets about 98% then fails. The computer recognizes the ZVM sometimes??? shows the 50MB icon.
will opening up the zen do anything?
The ZVM shows this way (50MB) when no firmware is loaded. What you are seeing is a empty partition set aside for the firmware. You won't be able to see the data partition until the firmware is loaded.

When in Recovery Mode, does a Cleanup complete without error or locking up? If you don't have a warranty, you may want to consider opening up the ZVM and checking (loose) or reseating the drive connection. You may also may be able to hear the drive better if it has crashed. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 03-21-2009, 03:31 PM

After clean up - still could not leave recovery mode.
I did open her up - Not sure what the drive connection is, continued to hear the beeping sound - only louder now that it was open.
Any help please?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Soooooo, did the Cleanup complete ok, freeze-up, or error out? Did you reseat the connection? Does the sound you hear sound like a repetitive click? If so, you may have a failed hard drive.

Zen FAQ